Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big clubs in the championship, are we one?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Reading people mention that there are some big clubs coming down into the championship, are we now matured into a genuine big club ourselves? Will other teams be thinking of us as a big club/ scalp next season?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Reading people mention that there are some big clubs coming down into the championship, are we now matured into a big club ourselves? Will other teams be thinking of us as a big club/ scalp next season?

People talking this way are referring to a history of being in top flight and/or silverware. The power is shifting down south and they don't like it, so no they won't regard us as that.

But the longer they keep thinking they're travelling down to the little old seaside 'town' of Brighton for abit of sun and an easy 3 points, the happier i'll be.

Last edited:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Reading people mention that there are some big clubs coming down into the championship, are we now matured into a genuine big club ourselves? Will other teams be thinking of us as a big club/ scalp next season?

We are yes, whether fans of other clubs accept it or not.

Plenty of 'big clubs' in the Championship though, by any criteria:

Albion
Forest
Leeds
Villa
Newcastle
Wednesday
Derby

Ipswich have history and decent gates, Blackburn a Prem win, Norwich about 20k STH.

You could make a case for pretty much the entire division, bar perhaps Wigan, Burton and Rotherham.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We are big only in terms of support compared to quite a few teams , i would of thought teams like Burton will already have us marked down as a must do awayday , quite looking forward to going to Burton again which probably boasts the smelliest pub toilet on earth award along with terracing in the away end . Newcastle will be thinking triffic thats 3 points down the pan , Villa will bring down a load which is good so by then somebody will have made up a we stuffed you 1 nil in 1910 get ready its happening again type tune , i would of thought that with the amount of TV exposure we had this season lots of other teams do actually see us as one of the bigger clubs in the division , i quite liked being a under the radar sort of club but we have massive ambition now and quality players looking for a move will be taking a look at us a bit closer in the season to come i think .

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
We are yes, whether fans of other clubs accept it or not.

Plenty of 'big clubs' in the Championship though, by any criteria:

Albion
Forest
Leeds
Villa
Newcastle
Wednesday
Derby

Ipswich have history and decent gates, Blackburn a Prem win, Norwich about 20k STH.

You could make a case for pretty much the entire division, bar perhaps Wigan, Burton and Rotherham.

Whilst I understand where you are coming with their few fans they have had several years in the top flight recently as well as a recent FA Cup Win and League cup final. That is more than Brighton.

As always it goes down to how one defines 'big club'

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Who cares ?

We haven't won much in years gone by, but our crowd levels and infrastructure are in the Premier League.

Does it matter how that is labelled ?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I hate the whole big club notion. On Match of the Day its all about clubs being too big to go down and little old so'n'so doing ever so well. Sky is the same, but at least for their evils they do cover the real world below the Premier league but again its all about this or that club deserving to be in the top leagues over other clubs.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Big, medium, small, tinpot, whatever, doesn't matter. We are competitive in this league and that's what matters.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I hate all this big club / small club nonsense.

Leeds are a "big" club, look at them. Ditto Forest. Pompey!

It's just more posturing; another stick to use to beat fans of other clubs with.

It really winds me up when people say, for instance: "Newcastle are a massive club at this level".

"This level" being one of the most fiercely competitive leagues out there. They're not a massive club, they're just a club. And they're at "this level" because they were s**t last season.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I wouldn't think so. Brighton is very much a 'new money' type of club where investment has only been very recent. We haven't really won anything (an FA cup runners up is not really good enough and a charity shield from 1910), a majority of the support is local and we aren't really considered a franchise club, we are reasonably well off but we dont have the marketability of the bigger clubs.

No, we aren't a big club yet, these things take time, but we are making the right decisions. Southern clubs are on the rise (save for Pompey, who are knob cheeses anyway so we don't care) so I reckon there might be a future where we're among the newer generation of modern professional sides and we have a head start with a brand new stadium and training facilities. But really the difference between the standard of Premier League and Championship should be questioning whether the Premier league teams are 'big' and the Championship teams are 'small' when you have the likes of Watford and Bournemouth showing themselves to be good enough to be in the league. Really it's just a thing for marketers trying to act as if franchise actually matters when we're proof it doesn't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here