Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happier times in the Play-offs

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I've heard a lot of people moaning about the unfair nature of the play-offs, and how it should be 3 up with no play-offs, etc. etc.

If we didn't have the play-offs, we wouldn't have had last minute drama in 1991 and 2014 and our day out in Cardiff in 2004

We also wouldn't have had the 4-1 v Millwall, on this day in 1991.

Monday was devastating, but we have benefitted from the system in the past.

Albion 4 (Barham, Small, Walker, Codner) Millwall 1

Goldstone Ground att: 15,390

Page_0001.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've heard a lot of people moaning about the unfair nature of the play-offs, and how it should be 3 up with no play-offs, etc. etc.

If we didn't have the play-offs, we wouldn't have had last minute drama in 1991 and 2014 and our day out in Cardiff in 2004

We also wouldn't have had the 4-1 v Millwall, on this day in 1991.

Monday was devastating, but we have benefitted from the system in the past.

Albion 4 (Barham, Small, Walker, Codner) Millwall 1

Goldstone Ground att: 15,390

View attachment 74884

Yeh, big benefit - we got the chance to play Notts County in the play-off final................................

boik

I went to the final, and to be honest even on the day I couldn't help thinking that we shouldn't have been there as we finished something like 10 points behind. Never liked the play-offs and probably won't feel truly comfortable if we go up via them. Has to be top 2 next season for me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest, I'm totally done with playoffs now.

Reach them next year ? Better than not doing so, but confidence of progressing.... 0%

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Yeh, big benefit - we got the chance to play Notts County in the play-off final................................

Yes, another 100% nightmare day.

The point is, I've heard LOADS of people describing that day in Nottingham in 2014 as the 'best awayday ever'.

We wouldn't have had that without the play-off system, irrespective of our CAPITULATION against Derby after that day.

It's all swings and roundabouts

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Whatever anyone says about the added drama and the wonderful feeling of winning a play-off match or even a final, the play-offs are just wrong. In what is a league based system it is utterly ridiculous that a team can perform excellently all season, over 46 games, then find themselves knocked out of a promotion race by a team who finished massive 15 points behind them.

And I am not whinging just because of what happened to us this season. I feel exactly the same for Walsall. Finished 10 points clear of Barnsley but unlikely to progress now. Accrington Stanley. Finished 10 points clear of Wimbledon, but no going up.

And finally, yes, I did feel the same when we have finished 6th and snuck into the play-offs at the last minute.

The play-offs are just wrong, and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whatever anyone says about the added drama and the wonderful feeling of winning a play-off math or even a final, the play-offs are just wrong. In what is a league based system it is utterly ridiculous that a team can perform excellently all season, over 46 games, then find themselves knocked out of a promotion race by a team who finished massive 15 points behind them.

And I am not whinging just because of what happened to us this season. I feel exactly the same for Walsall. Finished 10 points clear of Barnsley but unlikely to progress now. Accrington Stanley. Finished 10 points clear of Wimbledon, but no going up.
Same thing happened to Forest Green in the Conference (or whatever it's called now) too. Unfortunately though, we're stuck with the bloody things.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Millwall game was one of my favourite ever games, 4-1 after being 1-0 down, and strangely for then, a Sunday lunchtime

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I like the playoffs but it doesnt give higher placed team enough benefit.

Id like:

3rd place straight to final
5th plays 6th one game at 5th place home ground.
Winner of that plays 4th team at their ground
Winner plays 3rd place at wembley

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've heard a lot of people moaning about the unfair nature of the play-offs, and how it should be 3 up with no play-offs, etc. etc.]

Have you? I don't think I've heard any at all.

I've heard lots of general media discussion - all people who have no connection with the Albion at all, but I don't believe I've heard (nor read) any Albion fans moaning about it.

Bemoaning general bad luck - the farcical red card, the ridiculous injuries at Hillsborough and Knockaert's free-kick not bouncing in - all yes. Moaning about not going up automatically - none at all.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If the play-offs must exist, then personally I just think there should be a simple points threshold. If the team in 3rd finish say 10 points clear of 6th, then 6th simply don't make it. 4th then play 5th for the chance to play 3rd in a final.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whatever anyone says about the added drama and the wonderful feeling of winning a play-off match or even a final, the play-offs are just wrong. In what is a league based system it is utterly ridiculous that a team can perform excellently all season, over 46 games, then find themselves knocked out of a promotion race by a team who finished massive 15 points behind them.

And finally, yes, I did feel the same when we have finished 6th and snuck into the play-offs at the last minute.

Oh.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A very small minority think it should be top 3.

But it could be tweaked. A 6 day and 3 day gap between the last game of the season and then the second leg of the playoffs is not enough, and it benefits the teams that can rest players.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
One of my favourite ever albion games. Pretty sure we started the game with Stefan Lovan as sweeper and it wasn't working out so we changed systems and absolutely destroyed them, Teddy Sheringham et al.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
To be honest, I'm totally done with playoffs now.

Reach them next year ? Better than not doing so, but confidence of progressing.... 0%

I felt like that this year. Just couldn't get excited about them once the whistle went at Boro.

Obviously i watched them and got into the game but either side of the matches I wasn't too fussed

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Whilst its been very unfair to us this season, without the playoffs, most teams would have nothing to play for from about February onwards. On balance, they keep the league far more competitive.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the play-offs must exist, then personally I just think there should be a simple points threshold. If the team in 3rd finish say 10 points clear of 6th, then 6th simply don't make it. 4th then play 5th for the chance to play 3rd in a final.
No, the play-offs have got to be consistant - teams have to know the terms before the season starts. Simplest way of making it fairer would be to have the lower placed teams having to actually beat the higher placed team to go through - if it's a draw, the team that finished higher goes through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here