Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Rea

Shrimper95

Jun 16, 2015
Is due in Southend today for talks with Phil Brown, according to our (Southend) local sports reporter.

Rated him highly when he was on loan with us and would welcome him back with open arms.

My guess would be he'd join us permanently

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well he's already indicated he's leaving Brighton, so he'll be on a permanent deal for sure.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Sell on clause I suspect. Think he's useful and by all accounts has a good professional attitude. Hasn't had a chance in the championship because of a lack of height I think.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Out of contract. We'll get something from tribunal I imagine.

Sell on clause I suspect. Think he's useful and by all accounts has a good professional attitude. Hasn't had a chance in the championship because of a lack of height I think.

In order to get anything, we'd have to have offered him a contract of equal or higher worth than his current one.
Which I reckon we haven't done.
Free.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In order to get anything, we'd have to have offered him a contract of equal or higher worth than his current one.
Free.
Doesn't his age make a difference? - under 23 or something?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Free.

I bet we have. Given he was one of the two (with Walton) the youth team congratulated I would expect we offered something. Would have been pretty short sighted not to offer at least the same terms - can't have been on my as a scholar.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Doesn't his age make a difference? - under 23 or something?

Yes. It makes the difference that we can get a tribunal fee if we offer him a contract of at least his current one.

I bet we have. Given he was one of the two (with Walton) the youth team congratulated I would expect we offered something. Would have been pretty short sighted not to offer at least the same terms - can't have been on my as a scholar.

Had we offered better terms, he would have stayed.

Gi2raffe1

May 17, 2016
Free.

This is os sad to read we bemoan we have no talent coming through from Development squad and it appears as soon as we do they are moved on!!!!!!watch harper hambo chicksen tilley etc they never seem to be given a fair crack of the whip!!!!!cook and elphick spring to mind, why dont we wait until preseason and see how they perform then

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
This is os sad to read we bemoan we have no talent coming through from Development squad and it appears as soon as we do they are moved on!!!!!!watch harper hambo chicksen tilley etc they never seem to be given a fair crack of the whip!!!!!cook and elphick spring to mind, why dont we wait until preseason and see how they perform then

We got money for Cook.
We deem Glen Rea not to be good enough, hence he goes.
Others will be kept on.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Cook & Elphick had contracts and were sold, not released.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe

I don't think Chicksen was ever brought in for the u21s was he? I thought he was meant as a replacement for Painter and was just utter gash

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The problem with Rea is he needs games, and in my opinion not close to first 11, we currently have 4 centre halfs light years ahead of him.

I would let him go, its the right thing to do in my opinion, letting go of Elphick and Cook was also in my opinion a correct decision at the time.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Had we offered better terms, he would have stayed.

We may well not have wanted him - but I'd be very surprised given the interest in him if we didn't offer the same terms in order to get something out of tribunal. Have you got any knowledge on if we did or didn't offer a contract?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We may well not have wanted him - but I'd be very surprised given the interest in him if we didn't offer the same terms in order to get something out of tribunal. Have you got any knowledge on if we did or didn't offer a contract?

Just heresay. My friend dated him for a while. So,no,not anything concrete. I don't think a tribunal would get as much out of Southend than they would have done out of Spurs for Grant Hall.
I could be wrong but I sense he'd have stayed if offered a deal.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
according to a comment on Southend "shrimpers zone " forum we want to keep him here because Goldson is leaving!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I'd be disappointed it Rea left. Even if Greer signs an extension he's definitely near the end of his career. Rea may not be near the starting XI yet but Goldson is proof that in a heartbeat all that can change. Having a solid young centre back on the books to step in for injuries, suspensions and departures would be useful. New contract and a year long loan. Don't fancy another Elphick/ Cook scenario...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd be disappointed it Rea left. Even if Greer signs an extension he's definitely near the end of his career. Rea may not be near the starting XI yet but Goldson is proof that in a heartbeat all that can change. Having a solid young centre back on the books to step in for injuries, suspensions and departures would be useful. New contract and a year long loan. Don't fancy another Elphick/ Cook scenario...
Already gone, I think you'll find.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here