Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facebook help O/T

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Any advice available ?

I have started using Facebook in the last few weeks (yes, I know all its faults), but now it is 'encrypted' ( or whatever you call the coded stuff) everytime I try to log in.

I can use it on my I-phone and no problems there.

I am rubbish with computers, so any advice needs to be 'simple' to follow instructions.

I live in France so maybe that is the issue ?

Thanks in advance for any help....and I have already tried switching it ON and OFF.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Facebook using HTTPS connections for enhanced user security.

However, that is largely transparent to you when you use the site. Just go to www.facebook.com and login with your email address and password. What do you see when you go there and try to login?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Facebook using HTTPS connections for enhanced user security.

However, that is largely transparent to you when you use the site. Just go to www.facebook.com and login with your email address and password. What do you see when you go there and try to login?

Just a whole page of encrypted in formation. Looks like Egyptian hieraglyphics.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just a whole page of encrypted in formation. Looks like Egyptian hieraglyphics.

Without a screenshot it's difficult to assess. Could be a couple of things...

1. Your browser is not interpreting, or being allowed to interpret, the Facebook page correctly so can not render it. Make sure your browser is up to date and the most recent version. If it is this, it would be unlikely that you'd only see it on Facebook, you'd likely see the same on other sites too, e.g. twitter.com and google.com also use HTTPS for user security.

2. You have some malware on your computer which is preventing Facebook from being rendered. Seems unlikely, as you'd normally expect to see some sort of ransom message "Pay us some money to get access back to Facebook" or the like.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Without a screenshot it's difficult to assess. Could be a couple of things...

1. Your browser is not interpreting, or being allowed to interpret, the Facebook page correctly so can not render it. Make sure your browser is up to date and the most recent version. If it is this, it would be unlikely that you'd only see it on Facebook, you'd likely see the same on other sites too, e.g. twitter.com and google.com also use HTTPS for user security.

2. You have some malware on your computer which is preventing Facebook from being rendered. Seems unlikely, as you'd normally expect to see some sort of ransom message "Pay us some money to get access back to Facebook" or the like.

OK

It is only the Facebook page , so I suspect some virus of some sort.

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I have lived without Facebook all my life, so I will cope in the future....!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Have done a 'System restore' and it is now back.

Yes...I agree can be a waste of life, but it is the most popular way of communicating here in France amongst the locals and means I don't miss out on BBQs, parties and other social events.

Many thanks to everyone who gave advice.

I,m now going out in my garden/wilderness to enjoy the sunshine with my best friend, the dog.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Any advice available ?

I have started using Facebook in the last few weeks (yes, I know all its faults), but now it is 'encrypted' ( or whatever you call the coded stuff) everytime I try to log in.

I can use it on my I-phone and no problems there.

I am rubbish with computers, so any advice needs to be 'simple' to follow instructions.

I live in France so maybe that is the issue ?

Thanks in advance for any help....and I have already tried switching it ON and OFF.

God, couldn't think of anything worse than being Bf's on that infernal Facebook.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here