Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Allan Gilliver

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Anyone else catch the piece last night on Channel 4 News? I only caught the end of it, but they interviewed Allan Gilliver (Albion forward 1969-70, 57 appearances, 19 goals) who is now apparently suffering with dementia. Last I heard of him was a few years back, as groundsman at Rotherham .United, his home town club.

He seemed fairly bright on camera, but obviously resigned to what now lay ahead. Always sad to hear of yet another former player slipping down that sad old road... Later in the programme they featured the newly enriched, multi-millionaire players of Leicester City. How things change.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Anyone else catch the piece last night on Channel 4 News? I only caught the end of it, but they interviewed Allan Gilliver (Albion forward 1969-70, 57 appearances, 19 goals) who is now apparently suffering with dementia. Last I heard of him was a few years back, as groundsman at Rotherham .United, his home town club.

He seemed fairly bright on camera, but obviously resigned to what now lay ahead. Always sad to hear of yet another former player slipping down that sad old road... Later in the programme they featured the newly enriched, multi-millionaire players of Leicester City. How things change.

Didn't see the piece, but sad to hear he is suffering from dementia. It is a terrible thing ; my mum passed away just before Christmas suffering from it.
I always had a soft spot for 'Gilly'. He was certainly not the most skilful of players but had an uncanny knack of popping up with vital goals when all seemed lost.
Wasn't he commercial manager at Bradford for some time?
I wish him well.
P.S.There is a good article in the local Bradford paper Telegraph and Argus. Can be seen online. Apparently he has vascular dementia, probably caused by constant heading of a heavy football.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here