Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spanish clubs to be fined for empty seats (appearing on TV)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting approach and ties up with some frustration at the Amex South Stand's empty seats....

The Spanish league plans to fine clubs that allow empty seats to be shown on television next season.

New regulations require top-tier clubs to fill sections of the stadium which are shown by certain camera angles.

The move is part of efforts to improve the league's product for TV audiences and increase its competitiveness with England's Premier League.

In May 2015, Spain approved new laws so rights to show La Liga matches will be pooled and sold collectively.

Previously, Real Madrid and Barcelona had negotiated their own lucrative deals.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36328609

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
blow-up-doll-transit-lanes-.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Boro would be screwed!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a good idea isn't it? Either sell your seats at a price such that people will come, or move people into those better positions.

A seemingly empty stadium is a massive turn-off for television viewers.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Doesn't help that cameras are usually in the main stand at grounds.

Empty seats don't stand out so much when they're different colours.

Sporting Clube de Portugal Stadium.jpg

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Imagine the fine we'd have got for large parts of last season - Wigan at home in particular despite there being nearly 25,000 there

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
A definite annoyance of mine. I wish the camera faced the West stand (I know this is because of sunlight, right?) but have felt for a long time that the south stand seats should be knocked out for 20 notes, I think fans would snap up the 20s plenty tickets behind the goal.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It does look pretty ghastly at the Amex when we're 5k short of max attendance and all you see on the tellybox is swathes of empty south stand seats.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A definite annoyance of mine. I wish the camera faced the West stand (I know this is because of sunlight, right?) but have felt for a long time that the south stand seats should be knocked out for 20 notes, I think fans would snap up the 20s plenty tickets behind the goal.

Suggest it to PB.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Never understand why we gave away supporters the south behind the goal , give them E1H S1A S1B S1C , that must be near the amount we have to provide away supporters ?

the-amex-stadium.jpg

People just need to get used to the idea that football belongs to the TV companies. They are stumping up a lot of cash and are entitled to have the Clubs meet their requirements. How much would it cost to employ a few stewards to direct spectators into the seats that matter? Hardly anything.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
How ridiculous

Surely it will just lead to clubs grouping their fans in the first rows of stands.

It would be great if they actually started giving them to local kids or people that couldn't usually afford them but I doubt they will.

I watched a few Spanish games this year and so many of the lower clubs have barely full stadiums. Not sure how that would be addressed

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Never understand why we gave away supporters the south behind the goal , give them E1H S1A S1B S1C , that must be near the amount we have to provide away supporters ?

View attachment 74882

Good point. i would also move the family area away from the away fans. Not quite sure why it is so close. The 'rude' songs that they sing are far easier to understand from there as opposed to the North corners

SAC

May 21, 2014
What can clubs do if people purchase a ticket then don't attend? There are certain matches, in the evening in particular, when there are thousands of ST holders who don't turn up. You can't force people to attend!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here