Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wandsworth prison

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
BBC1 has had access to what goes on inside Wandsworth prison. I honestly cannot believe that drugs and alcohol are freely available and the inmates are out of their heads with the guards standing by doing nothing.

I don't think anybody on here would like to say if they've had experience on here unless they work inside these tough prisons. A mate said that hooch was available when he was inside for a year, ironically on a drugs sentence but never encountered illicit substances.

My conclusion is that these prisoners must be lifers, who have probably murdered someone and have no hope of being free for the next twenty or so years. BBC didn't make that clear. I really felt sorry for the guard who said he was heading for a nervous breakdown and early death with the stress of it all. :down:

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Someone I know was in HMP Wandsworth. They throw the drugs in over the back wall into the courtyard. The place is so grim and depressing, you'd need drugs to survive it. I only went to visit a couple of times but you could sense how bad things were, complete squalor. Nearby HMP Brixton is more humane.

The person I visited was not a lifer, but was sent there in between Remand prison and his choice of Open prison.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
BBC1 has had access to what goes on inside Wandsworth prison. I honestly cannot believe that drugs and alcohol are freely available and the inmates are out of their heads with the guards standing by doing nothing.

I don't think anybody on here would like to say if they've had experience on here unless they work inside these tough prisons. A mate said that hooch was available when he was inside for a year, ironically on a drugs sentence but never encountered illicit substances.

My conclusion is that these prisoners must be lifers, who have probably murdered someone and have no hope of being free for the next twenty or so years. BBC didn't make that clear. I really felt sorry for the guard who said he was heading for a nervous breakdown and early death with the stress of it all. :down:

JEEZ and they have only just noticed the hooch and drugs, maybe not quite so bad when I had the unfortunate luck to have been an officer in the prison service(MAYBE IT FOLLOWED ME AROUND :)) in the time I was in there prisoners going blind from drinking printing fluid, several suicides(one which I found hanging from the cell bars) self harming and two mass riots.
its not new and nor is all this talk about "changing the system" government after government has promised change and very little has actually been done.
thats the end of the rant
lifers you say well I can tell you they are the easiest to work with, most pretty calm and pretty normal, I also think the system has been showed to be so bad due to lack of staff and civilian teachers.
my first bout of nights (the first two weeks) was in "D" wing at the Scrubbs and walking around the landings while they were locked up I lost count of the "lifers" and maximum sentences and to put it bluntly I nearly shit myself but learned pretty quickly that it was the senior officers you had to scarred of rather than the inmates, step out of line and you were shite on from a great height.
those first two years at the Scrubbs was an experience I will never forget.
things have changed drastically since those days, but the conditions for all have not and its time for change and you will forgive me for saying I have heard it all before

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Definitely not all lifers at Wandsworth. They have people on remand too, and those awaiting extradition, for example.

Not a very nice place though.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I knew someone who did time on remand in Lewes prison and he said most of the drugs came in through bent screws.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Definitely not all lifers at Wandsworth. They have people on remand too, and those awaiting extradition, for example.

Not a very nice place though.

it never has been Edna

I knew someone who did time on remand in Lewes prison and he said most of the drugs came in through bent screws.

someone had to say it .......................all I can say is the training is not as good now, I will ask why would you actually believe him?
most illegal stuff comes in through visits

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
it never has been Edna

someone had to say it .......................all I can say is the training is not as good now, I will ask why would you actually believe him?
most illegal stuff comes in through visits

I believed him because that was his experience. Eric Allison wrote an interesting piece recently in the Guardian about drugs in prison and made the same point.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
i was part of the system for 12 months and 14 days.

the whole thing is absolutely ****ed. the guards are easily bribed and coerced into wrong doing and turning a blind eye to rape, violence and even murder. drugs, alcohol and mobile phones are a common thing inside. the guards will bring them into the prison for fees of up to £1000 when smuggling a small ( for obvious reasons ) phone worth £20. Everything you can think of is available, at extortionate prices. the dealers work outside and the users families and friends deal with those dealers outside. all done over the phone. no money is handed over in the actual prison, obviously.

if money isn't sorted, said person will be battered till payment is received.

No prison is different, highlighting one will change nothing. the guards and staff are where you should start. but no one will admit it.

ragards

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I believed him because that was his experience. Eric Allison wrote an interesting piece recently in the Guardian about drugs in prison and made the same point.

does not make it true though does it
I have no doubt some comes in through staff .................but until you have worked in a prison for some time I really do not know how you or anyone can comment.
when I started at the Scrubbs Blake had just escaped from there, the staff were blamed and later it was found to be not true he was just lucky.
its very easy to blame anyone when you have never been in the place to see what actually happens and taking the word from an inmate or even a journalist you will excuse me for being a cynical old git
not saying it does not happen.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
does not make it true though does it
I have no doubt some comes in through staff .................but until you have worked in a prison for some time I really do not know how you or anyone can comment.
when I started at the Scrubbs Blake had just escaped from there, the staff were blamed and later it was found to be not true he was just lucky.
its very easy to blame anyone when you have never been in the place to see what actually happens and taking the word from an inmate or even a journalist you will excuse me for being a cynical old git
not saying it does not happen.

well i speak from personal experience, its rife.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here