Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's this about Boro fans being homophobic on here?

Boro BN1

Dec 18, 2015
I know I can't have read every thread, but I reckon I've read most that would hint to having anything to do with the team of my birth on the board of the adopted football team of my current home. I've had some great craic and only saw one thread by some Ravi Shanker claiming to be a Boro fan and we established that he was Palace in disguise.

I apologise if there has been someone from the Boro being so boorish on here. We all have our embarrassing fans, but I'm quite proud of the vast majority of Boro fans who abhor this sort of behaviour, although I did have to give the death stare to a few Boro fans at the last two games at the Amex who tried to strike up homophobic chants.

Since the three clubs at the top have been neck and neck going for the two autos, every Boro fan to a man preferred Brighton to take the other auto over Sean Dyche and Joey Barton's Burnley.

http://fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb/view.php?id=4882751

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Was seated right next to the home fans at The Riverside in the East Stand, there were a few giving it the usual stuff we hear week in week out. Personally it doesn't worry me, in fact it gives me something to smile at.

Onwards and upwards.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No offence but i can't be bothered with this shit now or with Boro fans. Just leave it and move on

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I know I can't have read every thread, but I reckon I've read most that would hint to having anything to do with the team of my birth on the board of the adopted football team of my current home. I've had some great craic and only saw one thread by some Ravi Shanker claiming to be a Boro fan and we established that he was Palace in disguise.

I apologise if there has been someone from the Boro being so boorish on here. We all have our embarrassing fans, but I'm quite proud of the vast majority of Boro fans who abhor this sort of behaviour, although I did have to give the death stare to a few Boro fans at the last two games at the Amex who tried to strike up homophobic chants.

Since the three clubs at the top have been neck and neck going for the two autos, every Boro fan to a man preferred Brighton to take the other auto over Sean Dyche and Joey Barton's Burnley.

I just took a look at that thread, I managed to get about 6 ot 7 posts through.

Seems as if your lurkers like to pick up on something posted on here, make some alterations and then claim it's a thread started on here where we're all in agreement.

Not a great link to supply to defend yourself with, ignorance aplenty on there. Though admittedly nothing homophobic, which is what I presume you were attempting to prove.

Go and have your moment in the sun and **** off trying to wind us up(no passive-aggressive irony intended here FYI).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The mods are usually quite swift in removing them which is perhaps why you haven't seen any.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] will explain better, but actually we delete / block the worst of it BEFORE it even appears - new posters' early posts only actually reach your screens if we click a button to let them through. If they register to post crap it never makes it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
well of coarse you don't have any gay people living in boro do you?
enjoy your season in the sun won't you

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just had a look at their board, one of them called [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], and I quote" a proper cocker"

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No offence but i can't be bothered with this shit now or with Boro fans. Just leave it and move on
Bored with Middlesbrough as well.

News on albion summer recruitment is much more interesting.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I must admit to have found some 'Boro fans attitude to us patronising and inconsistent.

All the time they expected us to fall away there was a little pat on the head and a 'We'd rather it was you than Burnley.' In truth, their attitude was the same as the rest of us; first and foremost they wanted their team to get promoted. Everything else is a long way second. Nothing wrong with this, but why not just admit it?

Having decided that they were our big brothers and had our best interests at heart, they were then outraged when there was a controversial refereeing decision in an all or nothing game and, surprise surprise, Brighton fans didn't view it in the same way that they did. They went into attack mode at any suggestion that Ramirez may have had any culpability in swaying the referee's decision, as if this implied that their hard fought promotion was invalidated by another team feeling hard done by.

Since then there have been utterly bizarre accusations that, because fans were arguing on message boards, our club took the obvious step of appealing and Chris Hughton gave an honest response to a question about his view of the decision, that this meant that our squad wasn't focused on the play offs. This all being stirred up by a local journalist who writes like the worst of NSC's Albion myopic teenagers. Some have since taken our defeat at Hillsborough as evidence that our squad was too interested in them to beat Wednesday, ignoring the fact that Brighton's squad had been decimated by injury and suspension, had played two games with 10 men for long periods and were up against a team who were mostly having a lie down six days earlier.

They seem to take offence to the thought that Brighton supporters don't see the draw at their place and two goals over the season as evidence of their vast superiority, but instead still think that Brighton are the better team and things could have easily been different. The oft quoted Rice Davies quote occurs. We are Brighton fans. We would, wouldn't we?

In all of this, I have seen Brighton fans taking the pee out of Ramirez and annoyed by the referee, I have seen some dishing out Northern stereotypes and some just saying that the scars were too raw for us to have a reasonable exchange with them. This has led to a lot of them deciding that they liked us, but now hate us and hope we fail. Just admit, that, as we were the opposition this year, you always wanted us to fail. That's what the Burnley fans did, that's what Wednesday fans did.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I apologise for a lazy copy and paste, which is below, but someone asked the very same question the other day, here: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?338813-Ethnic-Cleansing

One further thing though. I've been contacted by the police previously due to NSC carrying what could be considered sexually oriented hate speech. I don't have a budget to employ lawyers to make sure I'm in the clear so I take a "better safe than sorry" approach. When a Boro supporter was attempting to post homophobic abuse earlier this week, I contacted him to say that what he was posting could be considered hate speech and could get him into trouble. He cockily told me that his "modem has been modded so no one could trace me" and attempted to continue.

I'm not only trying to protect my arse, but the arses of those who post in a way that could cause them grief. Also, of course, there's a desire to maintain some level of decency. This is a football messageboard though, and robust conversation will happen. There will also be "banter" (and I hate that word). We try to leave everything in place we can, but sometimes we think stuff needs to go. We also favour Albion fans over any others and make no apologies for doing so. We still get grief from some long-term members that we are too lenient towards fans of other clubs. We can't win.

Anyway, that copy and paste:

It wasn't one bad egg in Boro, it was a fair few. But, as I've said before, I would guess that most of those we encountered on our way back from the Riverside to our car in the car park behind the Holiday Inn Express had been in the pubs and not at the game itself. Others I know who walked back to town had similar experiences.

There was also a coach load of Albion fans who had stayed at the Holiday Inn overnight and had to return to their coach there after the game. Boro fans didn't cover themselves with glory there either. I've been told both by fans on that coach and the coach operator that it all got very unpleasant with bottles thrown at the Albion fans. Decent, ordinary fans who just wanted to get on their coach, start their long journey home and leave the town of Middlesbrough to enjoy its achievement.

From there, NSC became flooded with abuse. With most of our moderators either in Middlesbrough or travelling home, it was difficult to manage. A lot was unpleasant. The way we are now moderating new users means abusive posts are hard deleted - they never appear - no one beyond the moderator involved sees them.

It wasn't just on NSC though. Twitter and Facebook have been used extensively as well. It probably reached a new low at the end of last week when the NSC page shared a poem written by [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION]. As we headed to Hillsborough and the Leppings Lane End, the poem was about how all of us are lucky because we go to football and we get to come home again, unlike the poor 96. It was putting it all into perspective. Boro fans even used this as a vehicle to be abusive and homophobic, such as this:

View attachment 74820

I would guess I've had to ban in excess of 100 Boro fans from the NSC Facebook page.

As I say, it has been quite extraordinary from my extensive experience.

I'm sure Boro has many thousands of thoroughly decent fans - we've had a couple on here. You do seem blessed with more than your fair share of the opposite unfortunately.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't know why they keep coming on here to tell us they like/ hate us, as if we are supposed to care either way. WE DON'T GIVE A TOSS!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Couldn't care less who comes down next year either. We'll be aiming to go the other way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here