Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In praise of Gordon Greer

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have no idea if he'll be retained or not, but I understand he was inconsolable at the end of the game on Monday night.

Regardless, it has long grated with me that I just don't feel our skipper has got the credit I feel he so richly deserves.

Since making a "sideways move" from Swindon he has been the rock in the heart of the defence of a side that has been consistently difficult to score against. He was our captain as we stormed to the League One title, and remained in place taking us to some of the highest finishes in the club's entire history.

His Albion form was good enough to earn him international recognition despite his advancing years, with Scotland manager Gordon Strachan once saying: "Gordon Greer looks nothing like a footballer. He looks like a rock star at a testimonial but he was absolutely fantastic."

He's been a constant through these first five years of the Amex era, and I'll certainly miss him if he's not part of the sixth in any way. That's football, I guess - sometimes we don't get a proper chance to say "goodbye".

He's been great for us, and no one should be suggesting otherwise.

Greer.jpg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Seconded

I think he will leave, just can't see GG wanting to sit on the bench at best at this stage of his career.

If he is happy to stay though I would be delighted.

Will get plenty of good offers

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Anyone who doesn't rate Gordon Greer doesn't understand football

A superb player and captain who must rank in terms of win percentage and finishes as one of the best in the clubs history. Personally, I would keep him for another year at least. Dunk will have at least one suspension next season, Goldson has been bloody fantastic but you can't tell how good he is going to be over just six months as we saw after Dunk's storming start to his career only to then have two seasons where he couldn't get in the team. And the BFG hasn't played for six months. You won't find many better fourth choice centre backs than Greer at this level

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Anyone who doesn't rate Gordon Greer doesn't understand football

A superb player and captain who must rank in terms of win percentage and finishes as one of the best in the clubs history. Personally, I would keep him for another year at least. Dunk will have at least one suspension next season, Goldson has been bloody fantastic but you can't tell how good he is going to be over just six months as we saw after Dunk's storming start to his career only to then have two seasons where he couldn't get in the team. And the BFG hasn't played for six months. You won't find many better fourth choice centre backs than Greer at this level

Echo that as well. Assuming GG would accept a 1 year deal of course.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Totally agree. A vastly underrated player and a great captain.

Also I cannot praise him highly enough for how he has handled Conor Goldson taking his place in the side this season. Not one peep of dissent or dissatisfaction. Accepting the decision for the good of the team even though he is still club captain, shows true leadership. Top man.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would keep him as ideal experienced back-up - it would be hard to get better as third or fourth choice in case of injuries or loss of form by the youngsters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have a feeling I am going to hate this off season. Nobody wants Greer to leave, nobody wants Calde to leave, nobody wants Zamora to leave. But old father time has other ideas.

Greer has been another magnificent servant to this football club.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Totally agree. A vastly underrated player and a great captain.

Also I cannot praise him highly enough for how he has handled Conor Goldson taking his place in the side this season. Not one peep of dissent or dissatisfaction. Accepting the decision for the good of the team even though he is still club captain, shows true leadership. Top man.

Agreed.

And when he did get back to the side after a long lay-off, he scarcely put a foot wrong,

Hope he stays for one more year but he may well want more regular football

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well said. I think you also find out who the real 'team players' are when they are dropped.

Greer was I'm sure disappointed on the odd occasion when he wasn't considered 'first choice' as club captain and stalwart for several years.

But he is a team-first kind of bloke, relegating the ego, overcoming any personal disappointment to train hard and be ready for next time he was called upon.

Been a great servant for us, given heart and soul for the team and the club and enjoyed a lot of success. Promotion and three play-offs in four years speaks for itself.

I have had the privilege of interviewing him a couple of times (especially on the late Scotland career for Scottish papers) and he isn't a leader in the John Terry mould, brash and ego-driven.

Just a good guy, commanding huge respect within the team and the wider club, leading by example, always giving of his best.

Last edited:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
With the new breed of defence we have in place (of which I would imagine a considerable amount of their experience has been gained) I beleive his watch is over. Stand down Lord Commander.

Thank You

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I hope he gets a one year deal....with the German, Dunk and Goldson we have a commanding centre back quartet.

Also in agreement with the opening post in that he hasn't had the credit he deserves

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As others have said if he's happy to stay, we should be more than happy to keep him. If we were to lose one of the first choice two, he could play more than he might expect too...

He has been a credit to himself and his profession since he came here and a significant part of our success.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree he has been a good player and captain for us but his future may depend on what he wants for him and his family and he may not want to be a back up to Dunk and Goldson who are obviously the future. Good luck to him for the future in whatever it holds for him.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Thought he was fantastic on Monday night, and was risky taking him off when we did. But I know we had to push Dunk up front.

If we can keep him with the younger defenders, then we definitely have a back line to build on for 2016/17.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Has been great value for the money we paid. Leads by example and a fantastic ambassador for the club. If he wants the extra year is give it to him. We would have 4 quality CB if so.
I think this is what has hit home the most since going out. Some absolute ledgend there have earnt their strips will potentially be gone on the back of a devestating couple of weeks. Zamora, Greer, Calderon and maybe Bruno could be let go. All are ledgend's in my eyes for what they have done here. If it is the end for any of them and I think it will be for some of them the one regret is it didn't end how it deserved to for them. Wherever any of them go they will always be welcome at BHAFC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here