Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This feels just like '78 to me

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Missed out on promotion by a gnat's cock and stormed to promotion the next season.
I have had the feeling for a few weeks that history is repeating itself. Many similarities from the chairmen to the managers to the midfield engines(Horton, Kayal).
This is our time.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Missed out on promotion by a gnat's cock and stormed to promotion the next season.
I have had the feeling for a few weeks that history is repeating itself. Many similarities from the chairmen to the managers to the midfield engines(Horton, Kayal).
This is our time.

Could be, the scenario is very similar, except it was a more level playing field then, no parachute payments etc.

Anyway, got to be positive and hope this is how next season works out.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This is our time.

Yes agreed. Imperative we keep the match-day squad together to go again next season.
CH & TB need to be working their magic to fend off any poaching attempts.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
This is our time.
Said the same on another thread. Same feeling of huge disappointment but drive from players to put it right the next season. Need to keep the best players together.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Was saying this after the game on Monday.

That year we'd been stitched up by 2 teams playing out a fixed 0-0 draw. This time we've been stitched up by dodgy refereeing decisions.

But we came back the following season and the rest is history.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1977-78

This is our time.

I think (my memory?) we had a nasty upset against Cambridge the following season and we weren't used to losing at home back then. The key is the home form and in the last BIg Seven W 4 D 3 L 0 this season we did not too bad, W 5 D 2 L 0 would have got us up though,.

In 1977-78 (Division 2) we were 12th in the football attendances chart ahead of first division clubs Newcastle and Sunderland and Middlesbrough and our tickets were more expensive then as well. Below Forest and Leeds though but they were at the top of Division One. Still some way to go to fulfill our potential. Only a few thousand ahead of top flight Bristol City and Coventry City though. About comparable to both the Sheffield clubs put together back then.

The snag in the late seventies was the recession and crowds at football games were lower and falling.

Last edited:

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I'd rather it wasn't that similar...We only enjoyed a brief spell in the top flight didn't we? I'd rather we had a more permanent tenure in the Premier League than we ever did in the First Division.

That moment will come. I'm sure, but our past is long and difficult, what matters is the now, and what Hughton and Bloom will do to make the team even better than it already is.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'd rather it wasn't that similar...We only enjoyed a brief spell in the top flight didn't we? I'd rather we had a more permanent tenure in the Premier League than we ever did in the First Division.

That moment will come. I'm sure, but our past is long and difficult, what matters is the now, and what Hughton and Bloom will do to make the team even better than it already is.

4 seasons and an FA cup final. I would take that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here