Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst part about last night

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
The dust is just starting to settle. Acceptance and a calm resignation is now replacing heartache and a wild sense of injustice.

Good luck Wednesday. In the football family we all have our moments of euphoria and despair.

Last night was emotional. Friday night was desperately frenetic. Middlesbrough was heart-rending in its injustice. But the strength of our recent history means we truly understand what is important. And this episode will live long in the memory of glorious disappointment.

Something all true football fans grudgingly accept as the flip side to the coin of sweet success and elation.

I've replayed last night over and over again.

The moment that I embarrassingly broke was not the Wednesday equaliser. Or the missed chances. Or the injustice of feeble inept refereeing.

It was the unadulterated shattering image of Bruno lying prostrate and shaking with tears. Consoles by Stockdale.

The man brought home to me what will be the envy of all the premier league football followers dumbed down by Sky. Enticed by the champions league.

We saw a man who has the skill and sublime knowledge of the game, who could have played anywhere in Europe at the highest level but who had chosen our club as his home for the last five years.

We saw him broken. We saw him shattered. We saw him feel, live and suffer our pain as fans.

We had empathy and a common emotion with a man who wanted what we did, as much we did.

For that Bruno Saltor I am forever in your debt.

You epitomised the spirit and attitude of a club that I have loved dearly for decades.

And last night as I watched your shattered body and broken heart collapse to the ground at the final whistle you gave me hope.

Hope for a game that is riddled with deception and fraud.

Because last night we were gladiators and we were warriors.

Congratulations Wednesday. I begrudge their noble fans nothing.

If you love the game and care for the spirit and intent of the game - then last night should and will be seen as seminal moment in the drive to the future.

Thank you Bruno. You owe us nothing. We are in deep gratitude for the love and affection and spirit you and your glorious band of brothers have given us.

Thank you. Thank you.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
The dust is just starting to settle. Acceptance and a calm resignation is now replacing heartache and a wild sense of injustice.

Good luck Wednesday. In the football family we all have our moments of euphoria and despair.

Last night was emotional. Friday night was desperately frenetic. Middlesbrough was heart-rending in its injustice. But the strength of our recent history means we truly understand what is important. And this episode will live long in the memory of glorious disappointment.

Something all true football fans grudgingly accept as the flip side to the coin of sweet success and elation.

The moment that I embarrassingly broke was not the Wednesday equaliser. Or the missed chances. Or the injustice of feeble inept refereeing.

It was the unadulterated shattering image of Bruno lying prostrate and shaking with tears. Consoles by Stockdale.

The man brought home to me what will be the envy of all the premier league football followers dumbed down by Sky. Enticed by the champions league.

We saw a man who has the skill and sublime knowledge of the game, who could have played anywhere in Europe at the highest level but who had chosen our club as his home for the last five years.

We saw him broken. We saw him shattered. We saw him feel, live and suffer our pain as fans.

We had empathy and a common emotion with a man who wanted what we did, as much we did.

You epitomised the spirit and attitude of a club that I have loved dearly for decades.

And last night as I watched your shattered body and broken heart collapse to the ground at the final whistle you gave me hope.

If you love the game and care for the spirit and intent of the game - then last night should and will be seen as seminal moment in the drive to the future.

Thank you Bruno. You owe us nothing. We are in deep gratitude for the love and affection and spirit you and your glorious band of brothers have given us.

Thank you. Thank you.

100% agree. Played every game this season, who could look at him and say he is 35 years old. Embodies the current spirit of the club. Deserves another year.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Thank you. Thank you.

Fantastic words :)

LVGull

May 13, 2016

Thank you. Thank you.

Bravo :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nearly 10 years younger than me, but my hero. An absolute hero. So classy in everything he does and how he does it.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Thank you. Thank you.

Yep - and he wasn't the only one. The team hurting as much as I am is a good thing. Together - we share the pain and maybe next year together we share the joy.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Cracking post.
Bruno and Calde have epitomised the spirit and togetherness of our club in recent years.
We're very lucky to have those Spanish boys at our club.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Love the man, hope he gets another year, but I couldn't help noticing he looked like he was waving bye bye as he walked around the pitch at the end. I do hope not, as I know he, and his family love living in Brighton (Hove?), his kids have told him they don't want to move away, fingers crossed CH and he can agree a new deal.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
A class act, as is our manager.

I have a feeling of intense disappointment today, and pride. Some of the disappointment is that the season is over as we have played some great football, especially in the latter part of the season. However, were we quite good enough, perhaps not.

What we've now got is an opportunity to put things right next season. Improve the squad and hope we can retain our best talent albeit I think Stephens is off.

I've said it before on other threads, but I'll say it again, this season reminds me so much of the 77/78 season. We came so close and there was intense disappointment and anger at the injustice. There's two ways to react. Feel sorry for yourself or shake yourself down and go again after a bit of strengthening. The latter is what we did then, and it's what we can do again. Perhaps next season we'll have a bit more luck with injuries and refereeing decisions.

So coming back to Bruno, what a player he's been this season. Can he go again. I doubt he can without having a few games out but he's got the class and stamina to contribute. So another 12 month contract please Mr Bloom.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Great post and well put. A key part of the 'spine' of the team that pundits waffle on about. But truly a player thats put his life and soul on the line for his club. Puts to shame those players that are there just to collect their paypacket and have a passion for the club they play for.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Great stuff. The result last night (and the two previous games) was difficult to take.....but in adversity we have found an absolutely amazing spirit. I genuinely feel that Brighton & Hove Albion IS different. I know I'm totally biased, but I cannot imagine any other set of supporters having such a close relationship with the club they follow. It's mainly down to the loss of the Goldstone, the shysters Archer and Bellotti, the wilderness years at Priestfield, etc - but it's been massively underlined this season. The likes of Bruno and Calde are simply wonderful ambassadors - but we seem to have identified a whole raft of other similarly inspirational characters - Rosenior, Goldson, Knockaert, Skalak, Stockdale, Hemed - and, of course, Chris Hughton. We have amazing facilities, but so many truly decent people running the club. I'm not saying there aren't shining lights elsewhere - of course there are - but we are unbelievably fortunate to have so much that is right at B&HA. It didn't quite work out last night, but the club will be stronger as a result, and the bond between club and supporters even stronger, if that's possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here