Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Central midfield situation

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Obviously we all want Kayal and Stephens to stay and I think most people would agree we should attempt to sign Sidwell if he wants to come here but what of the other central midfielders in the squad?

I think it's almost certain Crofts and Holla have played their last games for us (despite Holla having another year on his contract), we then come to JFC and Ince. Both players who have certain talents but can we be confident in either of them to operate successfully in a 4-4-2 formation? Don't think JFC will ever be able to fulfill that role so perhaps it's time for him to move on given he only has a year left on his contract here... Ince perhaps has more scope and I understand Fulham fans were quite impressed with him overall, but would we be better off loaning him out for a season to get some regular game time?

Last but not least we have Towell who we have seen very little of but from what we have seen would seem to be a capable 4th choice CM.

Some tough decisions for the club especially re Ince and JFC.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Obviously we all want Kayal and Stephens to stay and I think most people would agree we should attempt to sign Sidwell if he wants to come here but what of the other central midfielders in the squad?

I think it's almost certain Crofts and Holla have played their last games for us (despite Holla having another year on his contract), we then come to JFC and Ince. Both players who have certain talents but can we be confident in either of them to operate successfully in a 4-4-2 formation? Don't think JFC will ever be able to fulfill that role so perhaps it's time for him to move on given he only has a year left on his contract here... Ince perhaps has more scope and I understand Fulham fans were quite impressed with him overall, but would we be better off loaning him out for a season to get some regular game time?

Last but not least we have Towell who we have seen very little of but from what we have seen would seem to be a capable 4th choice CM.

Some tough decisions for the club especially re Ince and JFC.

Agree with your sentiments, keep Ince and loan him out and try to sell JFC

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thinking about it i reckon we could do better than Sidwell.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tom Huddlestone said to be leaving Hull who are reputed to be interested in Ryan Mason of Spurs, Could TH provide a midfield alternative and could LR help persuade him to join us. Perhaps MK Dons may want to buy JFC.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

IMO you need to purchase players who can push current first teamers to fight for their place. I don't buy this opinion of purchasing back up options who could possibly "do a job".

If and when you get suspensions and injuries to key personnel then they need to be replaced with quality IMO. strength in depth in all positions is key, IMO of course.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

There's pros and cons, he has experience and I think we were seeing him come in to his best form in the final few games, however he hasn't had a great deal of game time and given his age injuries could become more and more regular. On a free transfer though I think he's definitely worth signing (if he wants to come here)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We need a couple of talented young box to box midfielders next season and probably an experienced one.
I wouldn't keep sidwell to be honest as he's getting on and will want biggish money...think we need to find raw talent.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
IMO you need to purchase players who can push current first teamers to fight for their place. I don't buy this opinion of purchasing back up options who could possibly "do a job".

If and when you get suspensions and injuries to key personnel then they need to be replaced with quality IMO. strength in depth in all positions is key, IMO of course.

We need a couple of talented young box to box midfielders next season and probably an experienced one.
I wouldn't keep sidwell to be honest as he's getting on and will want biggish money...think we need to find raw talent.

In an ideal world I'd love a third top quality midfielder to challenge Stephens and Kayal if they both stay, however we don't have the budget to splash out 5-6 million on one of these unless you want to skimp in other areas. I personally would much rather spend a large chunk of the budget on a proven striker. I doubt Sidwell will command huge wages anymore as no Premiership clubs will be interested and I don't consider him a huge downgrade.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I reckon both JFC and Ince will go, along with Holla and Crofts.
Hopefully we'll keep hold of both Kayal and Stephens.
I'm kind of on the fence about Sidwell, but expect us to try to sign him.
Towell to stay and challenge for a place in the squad, hope there's a lot more to see from him.
Think we'll also bring in another, hopefully to push Kayal and Stephens for the starting eleven.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I would like us to buy someone of better quality than Stevens. He's good but we need someone that is more creative going forward, a midfielder than can create through the centre. Kayal is very good at mopping up, doesn't create a whole lot going forward either. Bit of a problem. That and much better quality centre forwards will see us promoted

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We definitely need a couple of midfielders to join us, as I dont think we will get 40+ games each from Kayal and Stephens. The home Preston game highlighted the drop in quality when both midding. I would go with one experienced and one younger player to cover.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Tom Huddlestone said to be leaving Hull who are reputed to be interested in Ryan Mason of Spurs, Could TH provide a midfield alternative and could LR help persuade him to join us. Perhaps MK Dons may want to buy JFC.

I think on a free a premier league side will sign huddlestone but if not I would be interested for sure

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here