Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five to Keep

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In my mind there are five key people we need to hang on to this summer, and if we do then I'm sure this season will be a springboard for the next.

Hughton, Dunk, Goldson, Kayal, Stephens

No shit Sherlock

I'm pretty sure the rest will stay if we want, Knockaert and Skalak have only just got here and in any case, are easier to replace (March, Murphy, etc). These are the five that will surely be in most demand.

Hughton is a key for the rest, they must be pretty loyal to him. I'm sure we'll get offers on Goldson and rebut them. I'm sure we'll get offers on Dunk and I'll reckon we'll accept one of them, letting him go off to the prem is likely a promise in return for the new contract he got last year. But if he stays, he could be a lifer.

Stephens I reckon Hughton will move heaven and earth to keep, and he'll probably succeed. Perhaps we've just seen his best ever season, though? (or just my pessimistic morning-after thoughts). He is likely twice the player when in partnership with Kayal - who should surely be in the Premier league. Alternatively he looks exactly the kind of player Newcastle will target. Either way, I will be delighted and surprised if he stays.

Too early? :)

Too early?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In my mind there are five key people we need to hang on to this summer, and if we do then I'm sure this season will be a springboard for the next.

No shit Sherlock

I'm pretty sure the rest will stay if we want, Knockaert and Skalak have only just got here and in any case, are easier to replace (March, Murphy, etc). These are the five that will surely be in most demand.

Hughton is a key for the rest, they must be pretty loyal to him. I'm sure we'll get offers on Goldson and rebut them. I'm sure we'll get offers on Dunk and I'll reckon we'll accept one of them, letting him go off to the prem is likely a promise in return for the new contract he got last year. But if he stays, he could be a lifer.

Stephens I reckon Hughton will move heaven and earth to keep, and he'll probably succeed. Perhaps we've just seen his best ever season, though? (or just my pessimistic morning-after thoughts). He is likely twice the player when in partnership with Kayal - who should surely be in the Premier league. Alternatively he looks exactly the kind of player Newcastle will target. Either way, I will be delighted and surprised if he stays.

Too early?

Kayal is absolutely KEY. Way more so than any of the other players. I was reassured a little by what he posted on his instagram today:

“Not the way we wanted to end the season last night but I just wanted to say thanks to all the fans for all your unbelievable support throughout the year. It means the world to me and everyone at Brighton. This club deserves to be in the Premier League, we came up short this year but we will use this as motivation next year and hopefully put this amazing club where it belongs. I’m proud to play for this amazing club and these amazing players alongside me. I wish you all a wonderful holiday. We will be back “

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Never too early. Yes im sad and frustrated about last night but I expect this is exactly the type of planning that has been going on behind the scenes even before the final day shoot out and the play offs. Expect CH/PW et al have had plan a (Premier League) and plan b (Championship) in place for months.

Potentially a slight variation in plan a.1 being how many of the players we had identified in plan a might take a punt and join for the fun of an assault on rampaging through this division next season?

Would love to be a fly on the wall and know whats going on but suspect as ever we'll be the last to know.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Knockaert we can afford to lose then? I think NOT!!!

The team spirit is immense and I really believe that this year we will be able to keep just about all our players. We have a manager who is loved and respected by his players and a club that is as good as any in the country as far as ambition is concerned. These are great days and the players will want to be part of it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Too narrow a selection IMHO. How do you omit Stockdale? Or Knockaert? Or Bruno? These players are an integral part of the big beating heart of the side.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

No shit Sherlock

Too early?

Honest answer is I'm trying not to think about other clubs wanting our players. To be honest, given his rash play sometimes, Dunk is probably the one I would disagree with and centre halves are easier to replace (not that I want him to go). I think I'd replace Dunk with Knockaert from the above (and possibly try to add Hemed too as, for all the criticism he got on here, he got 17 goals in his first season in English football).

Knockaert is truly brilliant though. Arguably the best player I've seen play for us (certainly had the most impact in a short space of time). How we got him is beyond me. He could barely walk on Friday after the game yet destroyed Wednesday last night. Keep him and and the others you mention and bring in a striker or two and we will have a real chance again next season.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Never too early. Yes im sad and frustrated about last night but I expect this is exactly the type of planning that has been going on behind the scenes even before the final day shoot out and the play offs. Expect CH/PW et al have had plan a (Premier League) and plan b (Championship) in place for months.

Potentially a slight variation in plan a.1 being how many of the players we had identified in plan a might take a punt and join for the fun of an assault on rampaging through this division next season?

Would love to be a fly on the wall and know whats going on but suspect as ever we'll be the last to know.

Tony Bloom said on Radio Sussex yesterday that planning for both scenarios had been ongoing for a few weeks.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Too narrow a selection IMHO. How do you omit Stockdale? Or Knockaert? Or Bruno? These players are an integral part of the big beating heart of the side.
I thought he may have saved the first goal at Sheff Wed, and could have been more aware where the ball would go if there was not a touch for the goal last night.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree with your five, but would add Solly as one who could be poached if we aren't careful.

I would say there are 3 other must haves, but I don't think we are in any immediate danger of losing them. Stockdale, Knockaert and Hemed.

Then there are 5 more that would be expensive and difficult to replace. Bong/Rosenior/Skalak/Murphy

Finally there is one who would be impossible to replace - Bruno.

So all told there are 15 that I think we really need to try and keep, for one reason or another.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Hughton ...

This is about the third time I've seen this in the past week and the other times I've asked the OP who these clubs are that are eyeing up Hughton and no-one answers.

So again; which clubs are going to tempt away Hughton? The only club above us with a vacancy is Everton and you're in a fantasy world if you think they'll go after him

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
Don't be surprised if Dunk is in a Palace shirt by August

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Kayal is absolutely KEY. Way more so than any of the other players. I was reassured a little by what he posted on his instagram today:

That's great to hear. That Instagram post deserves it's own thread. I'm reassured by what Kayal and Knockers have said, but then who knows what will happen?

For me Dunk, Kayal, and Knockaert are essential nucleus of the team. The rest I think can chop and change - not that I'd want to for the most part.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Couldn't agree more. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Kayal is the leader we were so desperate for before he came. He is the main reason this squad of players never hide, are always up for the fight and above all are so together as a TEAM!

Aside from all that, what he brings to the team with his own individual skill set is extremely valuable too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here