Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Playoff alternative format suggestion

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
I was thinking about this lying in bed after the first sh leg. As a neutral I love the excitement of the playoffs, but it is too much of a level playing field and doesn't take the seasons performance into account enough

So here's my thoughts on how we could retain the excitement of the play-off but make it screws to the league position more....and not (just) cos I am bitter from last night!

3rd goes into final at Wembley. Well done for good season.

Then others play off to see who plays them.

Full rounds as below:

Final : 3rd v winner rnd 2
Rnd 2: 4th (home) v winner rnd 1 (away)
Rnd 1: 5th (h) v 6th (a)

So to get promoted each team would have to win:
3rd 1 game - final
4th: 2 games - h, f
5th: 3 games - h, a, f
6th 3 games - a,a,f

So the higher you finish higher your % chance of promotion, but 6th still has a chance and keeps season going for 6,7,8th.

If sky want more games, it can be made two legs but I like the 'home advantage' angle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, I think we all agreed that the league rules should be that if we finish 3rd playoffs are scrapped and 3rd goes up automatically, if we finish 4th to 6th playoffs remain as they are. I think this is sensible and should be set into the league rules.

I was thinking about this lying in bed after the first sh leg. As a neutral I love the excitement of the playoffs, but it is too much of a level playing field and doesn't take the seasons performance into account enough

So here's my thoughts on how we could retain the excitement of the play-off but make it screws to the league position more....and not (just) cos I am bitter from last night!

3rd goes into final at Wembley. Well done for good season.

Then others play off to see who plays them.

Full rounds as below:

3rd 1 game - final
6th 3 games - a,a,f

So the higher you finish higher your % chance of promotion, but 6th still has a chance and keeps season going for 6,7,8th.

If sky want more games, it can be made two legs but I like the 'home advantage' angle.

You sir are off your rocker!:mad:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's one of those subjects you're only allowed to talk about if you're not involved in them or they're many months away. If you discuss it now we'll just be labelled as bitter and so on. As all the other threads have said, we were not complaining when we beat Bristol City in Cardiff, or when Ulloa headed us into them at Forest. They provide fantastic games of football for neutrals to watch, we just have to get on with it.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
You sir are off your rocker!:mad:

Care to elaberate?

Obvi not off my rocker as this is similar the McIntyre System used throughout Australia (although not where the the idea came from)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_System

We all know the play-off won't be scrapped as the games are to good / dramatic and make great Sky TV viewing as last night showed (and not what I am suggesting).

This keeps the play offs in knock out form, but rewards league form more proportionally!

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
It's one of those subjects you're only allowed to talk about if you're not involved in them or they're many months away. If you discuss it now we'll just be labelled as bitter and so on. As all the other threads have said, we were not complaining when we beat Bristol City in Cardiff, or when Ulloa headed us into them at Forest. They provide fantastic games of football for neutrals to watch, we just have to get on with it.

Not complaining - We knew rules at start and have benefited...doesn't mean system can't be improved going forward.

Under the above 6th could still win promotion...but would have to work harder than 3rd to obtain it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Full rounds as below:

3rd 1 game - final
6th 3 games - a,a,f

Understand the reasoning but by making it all reliant on 1 leg games, you only increase the chance of shock results. Normally the team that wins over 2 legs deserves it (4 injuries in an hour may have nullified that argument this time - but it happens, and Wednesday defended very well last night).

So the play-off just becomes more of a lottery - and the 3rd placed team also goes 3 weeks without a game. Maybe even more than that without a meaningful match. Rested, yes. Sharp still at the end of a long season, possibly not.

Any system has its drawbacks. We just have to be more ruthless and finish top 2.

Care to elaberate?

Obvi not off my rocker as this is similar the McIntyre System used throughout Australia (although not where the the idea came from)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_System

We all know the play-off won't be scrapped as the games are to good / dramatic and make great Sky TV viewing as last night showed (and not what I am suggesting).

This keeps the play offs in knock out form, but rewards league form more proportionally!

The system provided us with a cracking end to the season so why stick your beak in?

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
I don't think this would be more of a lottery, in fact the maths (if i worked it out) would show the probablity is more weighted in favour to the higher league finish (as has been under the McIntyre system.

1 leg gives home advantage to team finishing higher up league, time gap (could be done in 2 weeks) allows 3rd team time to recover, while 5 and 6th are battling it out.

Won't be perfect but sounds better than what the leagues currently use, where 40+ league games are virtually wiped out and you start again.

its not grumbling, as sure even SWFC fans would say system needs looking at (but not until after their final!)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I know we've lost in four of the last five years but I wouldn't change a thing.

That said, hypothetically, and in the spirit of this thread.. I would give a goal handicap depending on finish..

So:
3rd: +2.5,
4th: + 2,
5th: +1,
6th: 0.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Why did nobody suggest this after Ulloa's goal at Forest or when we finished below Bristol City yet went up at their expense?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The objectives are these:

1. The change has to give an advantage to 3rd / 4th placed teams over 5th / 6th, and CERTAINLY not the other way around
2. It has to be good for TV.
3. There needs to be a Wembley Final on an allocated day.
4. The play-offs can't take any longer than they do at present as there is international football in June.

In my book the play-off semis are one-leg affairs at the home ground of 3rd and 4th to be played on the Saturday afternoon following the end of the regular season - giving fans / kids the chance to get to the ground and to make a day of it, and giving both clubs a minimum 7 days' rest. Winners advance to the Final at Wembley.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
Native - For me that too artificial - you don't play a match (90 mins) under a handy-cap system.

This is still best team over 90 mins. 6th can still go up and win on the day, but makes it possitively screwed to high finishing teams.

We effectively do this in the FA / league cup, by letting teams join later rounds....Still get upsets

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We had an advantage. We played 6th, not 4th or 5th. We also had the second leg at home.

That was our advantage from finishing 3rd, we didn't take it, tough.

Nov 5, 2012
chichester
There was two games to secure automatic and the players choked. They then had two games to get to Wembley and despite a brilliant first half yesterday again fluffed their lines. All this changing the rules after losing is embarrassing. Part of being good enough to go up is being mentally strong enough and I think 3 draws and a defeat in the final four games proves that we aren't. End of story.

Flydye75

May 17, 2016
Brighton
We had an advantage. We played 6th, not 4th or 5th. We also had the second leg at home.

That was our advantage from finishing 3rd, we didn't take it, tough.

Not enough of an advantage in my view for 40+ game season (whether if benefits BHAFC or not)

6th can still win promotion ...they will just be a lot harder in the play offs as they didn't do enough over 40 games

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here