Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've just seen the interview on Seagull Player.

Really impressed with his commitment to the club, especially when you consider he was only here on loan. He talks about 'we' and 'us', and talks about how we get over this heartbreak next season. I can't actually remember when we've had a loan player who has shown so much dedication and was so invested in the plight of the club (he ran his socks off through the pain barrier last night). It is really refreshing, especially when you consider that he came here for game time and couldn't get a look in because of the form of Kayal and Stephens.

He was asked about his contract with Stoke expiring at the end of June and said that he wanted to stay at BHAFC and fight for promotion next year. I think we could do a lot worse.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I've just seen the interview on Seagull Player.

Really impressed with his commitment to the club, especially when you consider he was only here on loan. He talks about 'we' and 'us', and talks about how we get over this heartbreak next season. I can't actually remember when we've had a loan player who has shown so much dedication and was so invested in the plight of the club (he ran his socks off through the pain barrier last night). It is really refreshing, especially when you consider that he came here for game time and couldn't get a look in because of the form of Kayal and Stephens.

He was asked about his contract with Stoke expiring at the end of June and said that he wanted to stay at BHAFC and fight for promotion next year. I think we could do a lot worse.

The same thing struck me. He seems to be part of the team already. I suspect negotiations have already started.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have to say I was not impressed with his performances at all when he first arrived, although his chances were limited. But he was absolutely immense last night - physical, dynamic, industrious and non-stop. If he can put that level of performance in then I'd love to have him here next season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He was talking about pre-season already in his post-match interview - he says he'd " love" to stay so there's a very high probability he'll be here next season. Hope so, he was immense last night.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Have to say I was not impressed with his performances at all when he first arrived, although his chances were limited. But he was absolutely immense last night - physical, dynamic, industrious and non-stop. If he can put that level of performance in then I'd love to have him here next season.

Agree, he was woeful when he rejoined initially. However since the Birmingham away game he has been superb and last night he excelled himself. I think he would be an excellent addition to the squad.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Mentioned that he noticed the team spirit as soon as he arrived. Something he has missed elsewhere and something that those that may want to leave need to keep in mind - I actually think it is this that will keep this squad together.

I'd sign him, good squad player.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You can tell the loanees from the permanent players sometimes from their performances. With Sidwell recently, you'd have sworn he was one of the latter. I'd be very happy to see him added to the payroll.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would be good if he stays. Has shown his quality in recent weeks. Like all players, took a bit of time perhaps to adjust to playing regular football again, that's all.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I thought he was superb in the first half last night. Real shame he had to go off in the first leg.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Never lacked the dedication but clearly lacked the match fitness. He really came into his own in the last few weeks of the season though and showed what a class player he is, a great addition to the bench and to fill in for suspensions!

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Sign him up. He's definitely got the legs in him for one more Championship winning season.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It is tough to find a quality CM who will potentially play 2nd fiddle to 2 others. He was brilliant last night and genuinely looks so much fitter and better than when he first arrived. I would to bring him here on a free. Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell and x1 or 2 others would be fantastic.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I'd be happy to see him leave. I'd prefer to see younger players come that have more energy and pace along with technical ability. The midfield area I can see will have a huge clear out. JFC, Ince, Crofts, Holla, Manu. I'd much rather see two real quality additions added so stephens and kayal could be rested. We got lucky this year that neither sustained any long term injuries.

Lush

Mods' Pet

I think we all forgot that he hadn't played regular first team football for months while at Stoke. Glad to see him back - and back to somewhere approaching his best.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we all forgot that he hadn't played regular first team football for months while at Stoke. Glad to see him back - and back to somewhere approaching his best.

Don't think he has played regular first team football for years?

Just checked 165 games in 9 years, no wonder he wasn't up to speed when he first came here

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The same thing struck me. He seems to be part of the team already. I suspect negotiations have already started.

He said quite clearly on BBC Sussex interview that he had not had talks with anyone and it was understandable because we didn't know where we would be next season, but he would love to stay... he feels at home.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Didn't think he had that level of performance in him anymore. I think it's important to try and retain as much of the spirit of this campaign as possible and he is definitely a part of that. I would give him a year with an option on a second unhesitatingly. He'll definitely get other offers though so it may come down to money and contract length.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Two loanees out there last night - one went for the fifty fifties and put his all in, the other didn't seem to want to break sweat. Sidwell has got better and better, Wilson has got worse and worse.
Sign him up if he fancies it for sure. Towell could do a lot worse than having Stephens, Kayal and Sidwell to learn from.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here