Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are albion unable to take the final step and ever get promotion to the PL ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon we are still suffering form Burke running the recruitment, but is there any other deeper, intrinsic reason why we can't make that final step ?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

No, I really don't think there is. There may have been with Poyet and Garcia, and things not as settled behind the scenes as you might want, but it feels different at the moment - there feels that there is a bond between players/fans/Club and so Intrinsically I think we are stronger now than at any point since we arrived in the Championship..
Now Derby on the other hand...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
3 different implositions for different reason. Gus being an egotistical maniac who had already left in his head and being unable to keep the team going, Oscar took a team that wasn't good enough and a broken recruitment team to a brilliant finish. We were never even close to good enough that year and this time round a poor referring decision against Boro and crippling unlucky injuries in the first leg. It's not as if we're Derby who consistently choke for no reason. We'll get there.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think so, not this time anyway. It has been a great season and no need for too much navel-gazing or beating ourselves up. You probably also need a tiny bit of luck, and we haven't had much/any.

I honestly think the 'inquest' from TB, PB and CH will be largely a very positive exercise, looking ahead and just trying to give us the best chance again next season.

There could be some soul-searching from key players, who really like it here, but have finite careers and may get big-money offers.

Everything is in place at Brighton, and even the team was goal difference away this season.

No scapegoats, no blame, and that is not a bad way to end a season in some ways - despite the very obvious disappointment at not going up.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We were probably one decent forward away from going up automatically . We needed someone who could off turned a draw into victories , if Bobby was fit all season we would off gone up . Next season we need more depth in our squad and we will be fine

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
We were probably one decent forward away from going up automatically . We needed someone who could off turned a draw into victories , if Bobby was fit all season we would off gone up . Next season we need more depth in our squad and we will be fine

My opinion exactly. Said all season we needed a top forward, telling that SW took on top players in January.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
My opinion exactly. Said all season we needed a top forward, telling that SW took on top players in January.

So did we in Knockeart and Skalak. Its getting the right players, not just buying expensive players for the sake of it. Recruitment seems to be something we've got very good at this year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We were probably one decent forward away from going up automatically . We needed someone who could off turned a draw into victories , if Bobby was fit all season we would have gone up .

This. It was miraculous that we got the number of points and goals that we did with the willing but limited Hemed and Baldock up front.

IF we keep the present squad together (and I think we can expect a few bids for Knockaert, Kayal and Stephens) then a cutting edge up front is the obvious area to target. Burnley spent big on a striker and it turned out to be a good investment.

As it is, we went out on a high. No reason for pessimism.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I reckon we are still suffering form Burke running the recruitment, but is there any other deeper, intrinsic reason why we can't make that final step ?

i think the premise ignores that we've done better than expected this season. we have recruited well and bedded in a solid first team, now need to recruit a half dozen decent players for the squad, another goal scorer (and of course a left back) and we're there.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Burnley - Andre Gray 10m. Promoted.

Middlesbrough - Jordan Rhodes 10m. Promoted.

Brighton & Hove Albion - Tomer Hemed 1m. Play offs, not promoted.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Fulham - McCormack £11m. 18th

Besides - bullshit point anyway. We OUTSCORED Boro, despite their massive spending on forward players. How does that fit your theory?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Except that Jordan Rhodes was almost non-influential in their promotion. Cherry picked and abstract stats to suit your argument.

Palace were promoted in THAT season spending virtually nothing. What's your point?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Fulham - McCormack £11m. 18th

Besides - bullshit point anyway. We OUTSCORED Boro, despite their massive spending on forward players. How does that fit your theory?

Fulham did not strengthen other areas of their team. Both Boro and Burnley strengthened throughout their squads. Gray and Rhodes scored important goals at important times against the better teams in the division. In the tight games they had the cutting edge due to their firepower.

Using a cricket analogy, I would liken Brighton this season to 'Graeme Hick'. A great flat track bully against lesser opposition yet never quite cut the mustard against the better sides. We only won twice in the league against teams who finished in the top 8. A damning statistic. A top class striker may have turned 1 or 2 of those draws into wins and that ultimately would have been enough.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Except that Jordan Rhodes was almost non-influential in their promotion. ?

Not sure about that. Rhodes was brought in to an already very strong team to finish it off/get them over the line, and he did. Five goals in seven games in the run-in? They took eight points from those games in which he scored.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Not sure about that. Rhodes was brought in to an already very strong team to finish it off/get them over the line, and he did. Five goals in seven games in the run-in? They took eight points from those games.

What was their form prior to that? They weren't exactly languishing around 6/7th. They then proceeded to draw all 3 last of their games...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here