Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our 21 match unbeaten run.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Included 10 draws. Who's going to eulogise about it now? Couldn't the 'What we have, we hold,' mentality have something to do with our failure to get promoted? It wasn't until 5 Feb, when we played Brentford, that we beat a side by more than one goal. We have a good championship manager and due to our adherence to FFP, a good championship team. Still, at least we haven't done 'a Leeds'. You have to get into the premiership in order to do that, and with our current ethos, I don't think that will happen in our lifetime.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Winning 11 and drawing 10 is promotion form and we missed out on automatic promotion on goal difference so not sure what ethos you are talking about?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Are you on acid?

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
According to the Argus this was the first time for 111 years that a team has only lost 5 games and not been promoted. It is all about what ifs. If we had drawn one that we lost, won one that we drew, only conceded 2 goals at home to Boro, etc. It has been a great season and I cannot wait until August.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Included 10 draws. Who's going to eulogise about it now? Couldn't the 'What we have, we hold,' mentality have something to do with our failure to get promoted? It wasn't until 5 Feb, when we played Brentford, that we beat a side by more than one goal. We have a good championship manager and due to our adherence to FFP, a good championship team. Still, at least we haven't done 'a Leeds'. You have to get into the premiership in order to do that, and with our current ethos, I don't think that will happen in our lifetime.

Not even a glass half full or empty you have thrown the glass away and decided that we have reached our apex. I am confident however that we will be promoted in my lifetime and hopefully as soon as next season

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Not even a glass half full or empty you have thrown the glass away and decided that we have reached our apex. I am confident however that we will be promoted in my lifetime and hopefully as soon as next season

Absolutely agree. We played out of our skins all season and were desperately unlucky not to go up with our points tally.

The team gave it their all last night and could have been three nil up by half time with even a fraction more luck.

If we can keep this team together and strengthen it just a touch I'm confident we can go up next season. Only saw one side that looked better than us all season (Boro) and we even managed a draw with them away under very difficult circumstances.

steadyeddie

May 16, 2016
I hope so but with some big clubs coming down and Ipswich, Derby and the other play-off failures all likely to have improved, we may well have missed our big chance.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why do people talk about drawing games as if it is a major issue? We'd all have preferred a win and a loss instead of two draws in hindsight, but it's not like you get to choose.

We were superb this season. We have been undone by the width of a gnat's chuff by two clubs with enormous playing budgets compared to ours, a couple of utterly shocking refereeing decisions and some truly chronic bad luck with injuries. We deserved so much better, and next season that's what we will get.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Lets have a look at those 21 games.
1) Deserved wins....Forest, Ipswich, Hull, Rotherham, Bristol C, Brum, Charlton.
2) Deserved draws...Huddrsfld, Preston, Reading, Sheff W, Burnley, Derby.
3) Wins that should have been draws......Fulham, Blackburn, Leeds, MKD,
4) Draws that should have been wins....Wolves, Bolton, Cardiff, QPR.

Actual..........P21 W11 D10
Revised.......P21 W11 D10

We got what we deserved from those games. It was still a fantastic run.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Pick me one team from the Championship who's results you couldn't fault. It can't be done.

Results aren't the reason we are not in the Prem,it's a ridiculous run of bad luck in the last few games.Simple.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Top 6 ..2016/17 season. you heard it here 1st!!!.. Newcastle, Brighton, Derby, Norwich, Sheff Wed and some unfancied darkhorse in this order.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

So Gus?? You agree we've reached our ceiling then?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

What the hell are you on about?

Do you think we chose not to win football matches? We got EIGHTY NINE points and missed out on goal difference. We are one striker away from greatness IMO.

"our current ethos." Christ on a bike.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
When people say it's better to lose a few more and win a few more than draw a lot, that misses out one important factor. Momentum. Staying unbeaten is good for morale and confidence. There's no guarantee that when losing a few more, that the wins to balance things out will still be achievable.

For my money, all the draws really say about us is that we lack one top, top striker in the mix who can provide that decisive edge in tight situations. We'd have won the league comfortable if we had the resources up front of some of our rivals considering the amount of chances we can create and goals that have come from other areas.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What the hell are you on about?

Do you think we chose not to win football matches? We got EIGHTY NINE points and missed out on goal difference. We are one striker away from greatness IMO.

"our current ethos." Christ on a bike.

My current ethos:

[yt]Kr0tTbTbmVA[/yt]

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

The stats are slightly misleading. Since the unbeaten run we have W14 D6 L5 in 25 games, nearly 2 points per game, and actually almost exactly same points per game as unbeaten run ( and included 3 games against top 2). This is much more like the pattern of an auto promo side.

Unlike some on here, I agree with you that the 10 draws ultimately cost us. Where I disagree is that that is somewhat history as the second analysis shows. CH has admitted several times that there were too many draws early season, I recall an interview after Fulham game when he openly said that he had set up to hold the draw but somehow Lua Lua went upfield and adduced a pen. But the 'ethos' has changed already, (and good for that as there is almost a perfect relationship between games won and League position, draws simply don't cut it) so your conclusion is misguided.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I hope so but with some big clubs coming down and Ipswich, Derby and the other play-off failures all likely to have improved, we may well have missed our big chance.

No - there are always Clubs coming down, Clubs improving, a surprise package coming up.. I know the parachute payments will make a difference on paper, but only in the hands of a good manager at this level. I just cant see Rafa being at Newcastle and will there be a queue of really good managers willing to work with Ashley? Villa yet to appoint, and they are far from settled with an owner The teams that get a good start will set the pace - if we start well we will be right up there.. Derby may feel as though they have missed their chance - they may think that their squad will start to break up, but ours is in many ways a relatively new squad. Forest, Ipswich, Wigan, Derby, Norwich, Reading, QPR, Leeds, Cardiff will all think that with a couple of players they can compete and they probably can.. When I think about Clubs who eventually get over the line, many of them have a few years competing in the top echelons of the Championship - they can attract good players for this level, have good managers and can therefore get the start that they need.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Binney on acid;7427997[B said:
]Included 10 draws. Who's going to eulogise about it now? Couldn't the 'What we have, we hold,' mentality have something to do with our failure to get promoted? It wasn't until 5 Feb, when we played Brentford, that we beat a side by more than one goal[/B]. We have a good championship manager and due to our adherence to FFP, a good championship team. Still, at least we haven't done 'a Leeds'. You have to get into the premiership in order to do that, and with our current ethos, I don't think that will happen in our lifetime.

I was more than a bit down last night but bloody hell, I'm so glad that when it comes to being a miserable old sod, you're just on a different planet! I'll bet you couldn't wait to post that defeatist negative bilge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here