Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was THE season-defining moment ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For me, I just cannot get that 93rd minute Burnley equaliser out of my head. The fact that that vile, thuggish, bindipping scrote was still on the field to fake his way to the free kick, that led to the corner, that was headed in by Keane...its a moment in Albion history that will haunt me forever. Just seeing that net bulge right at the death, after we'd battered them for the best part of 70 minutes, was just about the most sickening and stomarch-churning thing I have seen since the Kerry Katona New Year slimfast DVD.

I KNOW over 46 games there are any number of little incidents that lead to goals, some in favour, some against. But that Burnley goal felt like a dagger through the heart at that very moment. And so it has proved.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not beating Burnley is the one. Conceding late is what sticks in the mind for most, particularly given the non-goal but, in truth, it was us not scoring a third (or fourth). We were so much better and should have romped that game.

Beyond that, my group have long said that Boro were better but not three goals better. Little did we know that if it had only been two we'd be up now.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I would say the goal Weds scored yesterday. We were battering them and could already have been 3 up before they swing in a hopeful cross, push our defender out the way and the ball drops in the net. Had we gone 2 up yesterday they would have collapsed.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The 0-3 defeat at home to boro 3 poor goals, a lack of belief and too much respect for boro 0-1 would have done:moo: We have had a bit of bad luck but that result was our fault:down:

0-2 would have done!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For me it has to be how the club and players responded to the tragic events at Shoreham.Sometimes football can bring everyone together and this was once such instance. I thought the club can not be faulted on how they reacted and it overshadows all on field achievements

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
For me it's that penalty away at Derby in the final minute. Win there could have made the difference.

All in all though, what a season. We go again and will all be back there come August and just hope we can be as good as this year

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Second half v Burnley at home. Well in control, played them off the park. Murphy breaks away down the left, acres of space. Wilson is completely unmarked in the middle and pointing to where the cross needs to be for a simple tap-in. It is the simplest ball of the season and Murphy fluffs it, playing it behind the striker. That would have killed the game, kept our winning run going and avoided all that necessity to win at Boro.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not season defining but as said in the match day thread, last night summed up the entire season:-

When we were good, we were very very good.
When we needed a goal, we were never going to score one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The January window closing without us acquiring a big proven forward. An injured BZ for the second half of the season left us with just one big man upfront. IMO that is what cost us promotion not Burnley or Boro or the injuries at Weds.

When you consider the quality of wingers we have it makes it even stranger that we didn't get a big forward in :shrug:

steadyeddie

May 16, 2016
I'd have said failing to beat a mediocre Derby side. We knew Burnley were class and would never ever give up but couldn't deal with them so, in the end, not a bad point. To throw it away against Derby was criminal.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Boro at home. reea.ing from injuries, not quite believing how good we actually were - we never really showed up. BUt that's history now - assuming CH stays (and it's hard to see him going), we're going up auto next season alongside Norwich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here