Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what positions do we need to strengthen for next season?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Strikers: we need three. Replacements for Bobby (whose career is obviously over), Wilson, and probably Baldock. One of the three should be a certain Mr Murray.

Midfield: possibly sign Sidwell if available on a free, but also need another quality central midfielder plus hopefully Towell can step up to the plate.

Wingers: with March fit again plus Knockhaert and Murphy we're in decent shape. Skalak needs to do an awful lot more to convince me he was a good acquisition. Lua Lua is probably past it and we should offload him.

Defence: Dunk and Goldson as first choice, Hunemeir as back up. Greer now past his best? Is Rea ready for Championship football. We need cover at LB.

The following to be released: Manu, Holla, Chicksen, Calderon, Ankergren, plus maybe Baldock, Lua Lua and Greer.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Strikers: we need three. Replacements for Bobby (whose career is obviously over), Wilson, and probably Baldock. One of the three should be a certain Mr Murray.

Midfield: possibly sign Sidwell if available on a free, but also need another quality central midfielder plus hopefully Towell can step up to the plate.

Wingers: with March fit again plus Knockhaert and Murphy we're in decent shape. Skalak needs to do an awful lot more to convince me he was a good acquisition. Lua Lua is probably past it and we should offload him.

Defence: Dunk and Goldson as first choice, Hunemeir as back up. Greer now past his best? Is Rea ready for Championship football. We need cover at LB.

The following to be released: Manu, Holla, Chicksen, Calderon, Ankergren, plus maybe Baldock, Lua Lua and Greer.

Uwe wouldn't be back up, I think the fee we paid for him and the wages he is on he kind of has to play. Of the players you've mentioned releasing Elvis and Holla are both contracted for another season but I think they'll have their contracts paid up, Elvis might go out on a season long loan back to Holland or somewhere where he can get first team football.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Can't argue with most of that, although Rosenior showed he is more than capable of covering at LB

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
2 x proven strikers
1 x centre midfield
1 x centre back

Plus ensuring we reject ANY offers we get for our best contracted players, ie. Knockaert, Kayal, Stephens, Rosenior & Dunk. Turning down any bids we get for these players will be as good as a new signing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
2 strikers
2 central midfield ( Sidwell + 1 )
1 left back
1 right back ( if Bruno leaves )
1 centre back ( if Greer leaves )
1 GK ( if Maenpaa leaves )

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
As we stand today, minimum (sort of assuming Bruno, GG get a year and Calde leaves)

2 strikers
1 central midfield (Sidwell ?)
1 fullback

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
As we stand today, minimum (sort of assuming Bruno, GG get a year and Calde leaves)

2 strikers
1 fullback

Spot on...

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

Generally agree, except for the bit about Kaz. Easy to forget that he was our best player at the beginning of the season and hasn't had enough game time yet to get back to his best. He's been written off a few times down the years and always seems to bounce back. We're well off for wingers at the moment, but personally I think he's worth keeping on.

RE Skalak, I think we now know what we get and what we don't: match winning dead ball capability without the dribbling skills of Knockaert, Solly, Kaz et al. That's fine - he's a different type of wide man and definitely worth holding on to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We need to sign a top top striker.Probably £7m+.

We are never going to spend £7m on a striker - it's just not how we do our business. I reckon we'll need to spend big in that position (by our standards) - perhaps £3m on a top drawer 2nd division striker from Germany or Spain but it might need be financed by the selling of a key player.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Eight players....... practically a whole new team then? Don't think so.

I don't see much wrong with Sparkies suggestion. Lots of "if's" in there but it looks sensible to me. 2 strikers, yes. 2 central midfielders, yes. 1 left back, yes. right back, centre back and GK, yes if those players leave.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Release ankergen, we have three keepers.

Greer a tough one but he looked the part in the play offs and v boro so I'd just stick with dunk and goldson with Greer and uwe battling for the bench.

Need to sign sidwell.

Two top strikers. Or just McCormack.

Release Calderon, Zamora, ince, crofts, holla, COG, chicksen.

If anyone leaves then directly replace them (dunk, knockaert, Stephens, kayal)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Eight players....... practically a whole new team then? Don't think so.
Yes, but I expect Bruno and Greer to stay, so in practice it's 6.

A left back and 2 strikers are very likely.

And midfield is lacking in numbers now ( I assume Holla will come to a deal and leave, and Elvis will be loaned out ).

Doesn't seem too far off what we'll need ???

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

2 strikers
1 fullback

I'd go along with that. Quality, not quantity is the key in this window.

Keeping what we've already got is equally important. If it's more or less the same team they'll be able to hit the ground running from game one.

Based on how we've played since January we already have a team capable of finishing top two. Our form dropped this season because of injuries so we need a bit more depth in a couple of positions, and we need two forwards so we have 4 players fighting for two spots up front.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but I expect Bruno and Greer to stay, so in practice it's 6.

A left back and 2 strikers are very likely.

And midfield is lacking in numbers now ( I assume Holla will come to a deal and leave, and Elvis will be loaned out ).

Doesn't seem to far off what we'll need ???

So eight new players became six (in practice), now 'a left back and two strikers', plus one or two midfielders - that makes 4 or 5, which is much more realistic in my opinion. Still not convinced we need three left backs either..............

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here