Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'That was our big chance/defining moment' - Agree or disagree?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When we lost to Palace at the same stage, I had a strong and very grim sense that it was a huge crossroads for the two rival clubs and would shape both of our medium to long-term futures, one going onwards, the other left treading water.

While Palace did a lot of things right afterwards and have consolidated in the Prem, I was pleasantly surprised we got another crack so quickly even though we were nowhere near as well equipped to go up the year we lost convincingly to Derby.

So that was two 'big chances/defining moments'. Then we get another one within two years, after an even better season.

Do you only get so many chances to shape your destiny? Some teams take it first time.

And you're going to hear a lot about parachute payments and non-level playing fields.

But Leicester have partially shown up that sort of thinking. Can we knock on the door most seasons now?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I have to disagree.

With 3 Semi-Final appearances in 4 years, we'll get there soon enough.

All of the infrastructure is there as is the belief.

It will happen.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
There's no reason for the manager to leave or the team to break up this time. How often do you see teams lose in the play-offs and go up the next year. There will be a lot of competition in the Championship next year but with a couple of key signings, there is no reason we won't finish in the top 2.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Disagree. I have the feeling that this season we have over achieved. Next season was always the one. Keep the squad together, add a couple more players and no reason why we can't go up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This disappointment means that we will go up automatically next season to avoid it happening again. That is my fervent hope anyway!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Completely different feeling tonight than after the Palace game.

Really feel that we will be even better next year and push for promotion. This has just been a stepping stone.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Disagree. I have the feeling that this season we have over achieved. Next season was always the one. Keep the squad together, add a couple more players and no reason why we can't go up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I don't think it can be said we overachieved. 46 games and we deserved to be right at the top.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
In 2013 we lost Gus, Vicente, effectively Bridcutt - and the whole style of play we'd built ourselves around.

2014 we lost Oscar, Ulloa, Upson.

If we can avoid letting Hughton or our key players go, and recruit minimally and sensibly, I don't see why we shouldn't come back stronger.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
We were unlucky this year in the last 10 games as Burnley and Middlesbrough kept on winning, grinding out results, often coming from behind. Next year, who knows? I can see us challenging but looks like there will be at least 6 strong teams in the league.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Completely different feeling tonight than after the Palace game.

Really feel that we will be even better next year and push for promotion. This has just been a stepping stone.

Agreed. The club fell to pieces after the loss to palace. Poyet threw his toys out the pram and it was an absolute miracle that we got into the playoffs in 2014. We have a manager that will keep building and if he can get us 89 points in just one season, imagine what he can do with another.

There is a completely different spirit in this team, the whole #together thing really has worked and you have to say we are unrecognisable from the side that failed in 2013.

Onwards and upwards.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Disappointing but given what happened last season there are huge positives to take forward, we will come back much stronger however NUFC should be a shoe-in to romp the Championship next season

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Disappointing but given what happened last season there are huge positives to take forward, we will come back much stronger however NUFC should be a shoe-in to romp the Championship next season

In my opinion, NUFC will be massively overpriced favourites, yet finish around 4th or 5th.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have to disagree.

With 3 Semi-Final appearances in 4 years, we'll get there soon enough.

All of the infrastructure is there as is the belief.

It will happen.

This, we have had those 3 out of 4 despite losing managers at the end of seasons. If CH stays he will be the first manager during this run to have overseen two summers, this surely has to stand us in good stead for next season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In my opinion, NUFC will be massively overpriced favourites, yet finish around 4th or 5th.

Possibly but they spent a fortune in the January transfer window

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
We were never actually that close.Always one step behind Burnley and Boro for the last few weeks,always playing catch-up.Then against Wed away we were never in front.Before we could really get somewhere we found ourselves 0-1 down with 4 players off with injuries.We never really had our foot in the door.

OptimisticSeagull76

May 14, 2016
Really disappointed after coming so close. I wish we had a bit more bottle about us in the first leg. Burnley have had hardly any injuries this season - what are we doing wrong? To be honest I can't imagine Burnley or Boro losing over two legs to Wednesday. So down right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here