Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy Smit

Ryde

Sep 22, 2005
Carisbrooke
Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton is taking Dutch goalkeeper Guy Smit on trial, according to de Gerderlander in Holland.

The promising 20-year-old goalkeeper has earned an internship from NEC Nijmegen with a view of a permanent move.

Brighton and Hove Albion have an extensive scouting network in Netherlands which has seen the likes of Elvis Manu join the club from Feyenoord, and Smit could be the next Dutchman to join the club.

The arrival of Smit could be as an understudy for David Stockdale, but more likely he would feature for Brighton’s developmental squad, which would allow manager Hughton to assess him over a longer period of time.

Smit has featured seven times in the Beloften Eredivisie, and has been NEC Nijmegen’s reserve goalkeeper for the vast majority of the season.

The young goalkeeper is one of the brightest talents in Dutch football, and the internship is an opportunity for Smit to prove his worth and potentially secure a move.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Will be interesting to see what we do with keepers next season. Will Casper finally go? Will Walton be a bench warmer or be loaned out? I think we have an option to keep the fin, and Stockdale has a year left.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Probably not a good idea to mention Elvis when reporting on a promising youngster from Holland.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Can he play in midfield?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Now being reported in the dutch newspapers

http://www.destentor.nl/algemeen/sport/voetbal/smit-in-wachtkamer-brighton-1.6051312

translated as :

NIJMEGEN - Guy Smith has left a good impression during a training camp at Brighton & Hove Albion. The club from the Championship, the second tier in England, certainly attracted the next few days or the goalkeeper of the team NEC promise. Does the Inch Bucket is a free transfer.

Smit (20) underwent an extensive test last week at Brighton.

Experience
He played several exhibition games. ,, That went well, "commented Smith. ,, It was a beautiful experience. Brighton is a very big club. The reactions were positive. I had to send images from this season and are now viewed by the club. I have so wait and see. "

reserve Keeper
Smit made last year football part of the selection of NEC. He was as reserve keeper at the eredivisionist after Marco van Duin was put forward around the winter. Smith, however, played his matches Jong NEC.

Smith made the switch last summer Jong Vitesse NEC. He notched last season on an amateur basis in Nijmegen.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Our last Dutch goalie didn't turn out too bad although it does beg the question why we have been so quick to give Ankergren another year when we've also got Nikki Unspellable. And I do worry about our development squad being a graveyard for squandered talent.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Our last Dutch goalie didn't turn out too bad although it does beg the question why we have been so quick to give Ankergren another year when we've also got Nikki Unspellable. And I do worry about our development squad being a graveyard for squandered talent.

Has Nikki Unspellable accepted the offer of another year ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Has Nikki Unspellable accepted the offer of another year ???
On Bruno's Tribute to Calde on seagulls.co.uk, it said Bruno was one of the three players who had signed a new one year deal.

So unless that was a mistake, then yes..

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
On Bruno's Tribute to Calde on seagulls.co.uk, it said Bruno was one of the three players who had signed a new one year deal.

So unless that was a mistake, then yes..

Ah ok, missed that.
Casper and Bruno had separate articles saying they'd re-signed so I assumed Nikki hadn't "put pen to paper".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think the writing is actually on Casper's shiny new one year contract.

Agreed. I reckon it was a toss up who would go and who would stay when Sexy Pete was released by the club. Since then, I'm not sure he's played more than a handful of games for us. Perhaps he's on a relatively small wage and it's been regarded as insurance, belt and braces as it were. He's not that bad a keeper - he was the mainstay when we won the League 1 title. It's just that he's prone to howlers. At least one a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here