Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Play-Offs, 2013, 2014, 2016

el punal

So we are now into our third play-offs in four years. My reaction to all three has been totally different.

2013 - as favourites to win the damn thing everything seemed to be hunky-dory against THEM after 0-0 at their place. Then the shit hit the fan (sort of!) with Poyet deciding it was this time to throw his toys out of the pram for the home leg. I have never felt so utterly dejected and despondent after that defeat and it ruined my summer.

2014 - the season that no-one wanted to be in the play-offs! We conjured up sixth spot with a bit of Leo magic at Forest. But really we were never at the races over the two legs against Derby and my mood was one of philosophical resignation.

2016 - the so near yet so far season. On league showing alone we deserved to be promoted. Our luck this week has been atrocious. Who on earth would have predicted the abject misfortune of losing FOUR players in a single match. Although we have a 0-2 deficit to overcome I feel strangely comfortable. Maybe it's the backs to wall attitude that is permeating this board at present has uplifted my spirits. I just think that Monday night could be unique in Albion folklore. Not that we will overcome Sheffield Wednesday and get to Wembley, but that it will one of those glorious occasions where the team and the fans will give their all to succeed. And, if we fail to progress, my heart says that we will go one better next year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whatever happens on Monday, finishing third in the Championship with a magnificent 89 points marks a new high-water mark for the Amex era, and NOBODY can take that away from us. Shows how far we've progressed. Proud of the club and the players.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Whatever happens on Monday, finishing third in the Championship with a magnificent 89 points marks a new high-water mark for the Amex era, and NOBODY can take that away from us. Shows how far we've progressed. Proud of the club and the players.

Thank you for that, a brilliant summary. We should be proud of what has been achieved in 12 months and excited about the future, irrespective of Monday's result.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
If somehow we managed to turn things around on Monday night, can you imagine what an unbelievable night that will be ! It will be up there in folklore history !

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
We were categorically not the favourites in 2013.

I still believe Watford would have done us had we got to the final.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

It will still hurt for a while though, a really sense of injustice, the last 180+ minutes of football has had so many highs and lows, from the ecstasy of the equaliser then a few minutes later the low of the sending off to the high the start of the game last night to the low of the 60th minute - then the players huddle and the rejuvenated 2,000 making the noise for 30 minutes and the sense of pride that the players fought for their lives to just lose by 2 when it could have been 4 or 5. But what will live with me last night is the players at the end, including Knocky with a human crutch coming over to the fans at the end to show it isn't over.

I just hope the fans play their part on Monday, whatever happens everybody, fans and players need to give everything for 90, maybe 120+ minutes.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

All it needs now is for Bloom to make the necessary investment so we can SMASH the championship next season and get 100+ points

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
All it needs now is for Bloom to make the necessary investment so we can SMASH the championship next season and get 100+ points

This is where I'm at too.

I still think we have a chance on Monday especially with Skalak, LuaLua, Murphy, Baldock, The King and our first choice defence from the early part of the season still fit BUT if we don't make it I have a feeling Bloom is ready to support CH with whatever he asks for to strengthen and go again next season.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
This is where I'm at too.

I still think we have a chance on Monday especially with Skalak, LuaLua, Murphy, Baldock, The King and our first choice defence from the early part of the season still fit BUT if we don't make it I have a feeling Bloom is ready to support CH with whatever he asks for to strengthen and go again next season.

I believe we can afford to lose £39 million on footballing expenses next season and meet FFP. But obviously we then only have two years to go up before the embargo starts.

Not that we will do that.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I believe we can afford to lose £39 million on footballing expenses next season and meet FFP. But obviously we then only have two years to go up before the embargo starts.

Not that we will do that.

Nor do we have to! CH has proved that he can spot talent at a good price and he can mould the team togetherness. We have only lost this season when the squad was depleted so a few quality additions (assuming we keep the rest of the squad together) and we will be even better than this season.

In Hughton we have a fantastic organiser and motivator!

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
i think, if i knew that the squad were willing to stay together next season regardless of outcome, i would be more settled with the win or lose on monday. the thought of losing this squad upsets me....just like the dismantling of the classic cullip, oatway, watson, chippy lot did. this team spirit does not form that often.... that will cause me more angst than which league we are in... and yes, i know players come, players go... but!!!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Funny thing is we was actually rebuilding for next season anyway and what a great season it's been,by far the best yet and hopefully next season will be better :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here