Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This 'no team has ever' stat...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sky very quick to reel out the 'no team has ever come back from 2 down' in the play-offs line. Interested to know if it actually means anything.

I wonder how often the team that's finished 3rd has actually had to chase a 2 goal deficit? And by definition, a team that's finished 3rd by such a distance would have a much better chance of managing it (well, without all the injuries).

Suspect it falls into the 'lies, damn lies and statistics' category but can't be arsed to check.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Sky very quick to reel out the 'no team has ever come back from 2 down' in the play-offs line. Interested to know if it actually means anything.

I wonder how often the team that's finished 3rd has actually had to chase a 2 goal deficit? And by definition, a team that's finished 3rd by such a distance would have a much better chance of managing it (well, without all the injuries).

Suspect it falls into the 'lies, damn lies and statistics' category but can't be arsed to check.

It's not true, anyway.

Palace were 2 down in the first leg against Blackburn in 1989, and won the second leg 3-0.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Just listening to Danny Baker on radio 5. He claimed that Millwall have never lost a playoff game (or even conceded a goal) :)lolol:). Well, its just DB having one of his deliberate delusional fantasies, which always make me smile. But in the same spirit, I give you this: Having gone 0-2 down in the first leg of a playoff, Brighton have NEVER failed to overcome the deficit in the second leg. Never. Just think about THAT! :lolol:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just listening to Danny Baker on radio 5. He claimed that Millwall have never lost a playoff game (or even conceded a goal) :)lolol:). Well, its just DB having one of his deliberate delusional fantasies, which always make me smile. But in the same spirit, I give you this: Having gone 0-2 down in the first leg of a playoff, Brighton have NEVER failed to overcome the deficit in the second leg. Never. Just think about THAT! :lolol:

I like it. I also remember that even though we had a 3 goal advantage away at Millwall, they were battering us early on and we were bricking it (their team, not the fans - they saved bricking us for later). So a 2 goal advantage won't feel very comfortable for them at all if they're under the cosh.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

We've been breaking records all season of one kind or another, just another one to tick off.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
It's not true, anyway.

Palace were 2 down in the first leg against Blackburn in 1989, and won the second leg 3-0.

Assuming you're married Del - how do you get away posting on NSC - do you do it incognito when she is downstairs watching 'Big Fat Birds have Big Fat Babies' like my missus does :moo:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Assuming you're married Del - how do you get away posting on NSC - do you do it incognito when she is downstairs watching 'Big Fat Birds have Big Fat Babies' like my missus does :moo:

My other half accepts posting on NSC as but a minor aspect of the more challenging condition of being a Palace fan. :D

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I hear you, it's seems like a tag line that gets used on Sky, Talk Sport and even the BBC.
A bit irritating really.
I could understand a Sky Sports headline like:
'Now over to Croydon with our on the spot reporter Mike Shite, who reports that a major discovery has unearthed that no team actually exists there, it's all been a big dream' :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here