Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What could be worse?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Suspensions and injuries have made the final couple of games a proverbial NIGHTMARE for us.

However, 2 years ago and 3 years ago, after the play-off 2nd leg failures we LOST our manager on both occasions.
Hanging on to Houghton for next season, in whatever league we end up in, is essential IMHO

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Stability accross the board.

Keep the manager and keep the team largely intact + add quality in key roles to replace those retiring.

It would also be a great platform for TB to go for it and land a top striker that people endlessly discuss.

Would fancy us big time next year if all of the above, but it's a big if. The vultures are already circling, waving absurd and life changing contracts in their hands.

I agree. If we don't go up, it's important to keep hold of Hughton and our best players and build on the squad. I love Calderon, but we need another right back for the squad, another central defender to replace Greer, Some back up for Stephens and Kayal in central midfield, and two good strikers. Apart from that, we're fine.
Houghton seems like an honest loyal guy, but his head could be turned if a premier league club comes after him. I hope not, because he has brought in some class since he's arrived here, and it can only get better.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I agree. If we don't go up, it's important to keep hold of Hughton and our best players and build on the squad. I love Calderon, but we need another right back for the squad, another central defender to replace Greer, Some back up for Stephens and Kayal in central midfield, and two good strikers. Apart from that, we're fine.
Houghton seems like an honest loyal guy, but his head could be turned if a premier league club comes after him. I hope not, because he has brought in some class since he's arrived here, and it can only get better.

No chance a Premier league club will come in for him. A big Championship club that just got relegated from the Prem? That could be a worry.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I haven't warmed to a manager as much since Gus Poyet. In some ways Hughton's the total opposite of him with his humbleness and being so calm when he must want to scream at the world right now - the injuries are beyond bad luck.

If the worst happens on Monday night, Hughton will already be preparing for next season a couple of days after and sorting out the key positions. I'm sure of that. But we're not done yet. Nobody would deserve a trip to Wembley more than him.

I'm feeling more positive now than last night that we can turn this tie around.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I imagine every championship club would be after him but he's already been sacked by Newcastle and Norwich, and no one in their right mind would go near Villa at the moment

Good point.

Which leaves the other championship clubs that fail to get through the play offs - perhaps Hull would say goodbye to Bruce or Cardiff might be on the lookout.

Still can't see him leaving the facilities we have, nor the management set up. Bloom and Barber must be a superb set up to work under.

Sent from my iPhone using blancmange

el punal

Suspensions and injuries have made the final couple of games a proverbial NIGHTMARE for us.

However, 2 years ago and 3 years ago, after the play-off 2nd leg failures we LOST our manager on both occasions.
Hanging on to Houghton for next season, in whatever league we end up in, is essential IMHO

Could be worse I suppose, but at least we've still got Hughton. :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I imagine every championship club would be after him but he's already been sacked by Newcastle and Norwich, and no one in their right mind would go near Villa at the moment
Villa are a massive club, no one should go near them - but I bet most managers In a job currently would jump at it.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This season was actually the season to rebuild,but we've done far far better than expected.
Next season we will be far stronger I'm sure :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Half time at Hereford was a tad worse :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here