Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idiot alert scores level after two legs...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am sure I heard or was told (voices in my head)

That if the scores are level are two legs away goals do not count, and we would go through even if we drew 0-0 at Hillsbrough and then drew 1-1 at home is this correct...

Or was that a dream... :ohmy:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If scores are level after 2 legs, extra time will be played. Away goals do not count.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
If the scores are level after both legs it's standard extra time and pens. God help us if it comes down to that.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
2.4 In the Semi-Finals, the first leg shall be of 90 (ninety) minutes duration. If the aggregate scores are level at the end of 90 (ninety) minutes in the second leg, extra time will be played. If the scores remain level at the end of extra time the tie will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark, in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.
Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/playoffrules.aspx#frC6TBGx7vssfPfV.99

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
how do we gain an advantage then for finishing third or any team that finishes 3rd who are 15 odd points clear of the 6th placed team with a chance of automatic promotion fielding their strongest team while the 6th place team can take it easy and rest players...

No advantage in my eyes...

We have been stitched up by Dean and I just have this feeling we are gonna crumble...

If someone sees my mojo out and about, could you please send it home...

I need it...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If the scores are level after both legs it's standard extra time and pens. God help us if it comes down to that.

We did it in 2004. The aggregate was 2-2 over the two legs. Swindon then missed two penalties (one hit the bar and Ben Roberts saved the other) Brighton scored all of theirs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
how do we gain an advantage then for finishing third or any team that finishes 3rd who are 15 odd points clear of the 6th placed team with a chance of automatic promotion fielding their strongest team while the 6th place team can take it easy and rest players...

We have been stitched up by Dean and I just have this feeling we are gonna crumble...

I need it...

Your mojo is probably in the same place as Deans bottle

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I need it...

We play the second leg at home, that is the advantage of coming 3rd.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
how do we gain an advantage then for finishing third

The "advantage" is solely that the second leg is at home. The decisive game where we know what we need in the last 15 minutes will be at home, plus any extra-time or penalties would be at home.

That's it.

To give a real advantage it should be a one-leg match, with the highest place team at home. But the rules are what they are......

Steve in Japan

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Well we get to avoid Hull and Derby by finishing 3rd. That's not a bad thing. Or is it?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I need it...

It's out getting wrecked with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]'s, they're having a whale of a time, brasses, Gian Luca, cocktails, they've blitzed it. They'll both be crashed by the time they get back to you two. :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Without sounding bitter..

The third place team should go through to the final and then 4-7 play off

that seems fair right now the way I am looking at it...

Mojo.... Come back I miss you

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Quite. And therein lies my suggestion for remedying (to an extent) the injustice of the play-offs. Namely, that the lower placed team should actually have to beat the higher placed team. If the scores are level, the higher placed team goes through.

Yes, we have - but we've got a mentally tough team, and hopefully they will share our sense of injustice and use it to inspire them to victory.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

Can see where you are coming from . I would do it on points finished above awarded as goals . For every 3 points you finish above the lower teams gives you an extra goal . so we would take a 3-0 lead into game vs sheff .. It also stops the teams that have made play offs already putting out a reserve side in their last game which is meaningless . That way they would need as many points as poss to overcome the disadvantage

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Or even third place gets promoted automatically, as per traditional times and the rest can naff off.
With the fat cats not getting any of the money that would have been generated as with the playoffs :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or even third place gets promoted automatically, as per traditional times and the rest can naff off.
With the fat cats not getting any of the money that would have been generated as with the playoffs :)

Its nothing to do with the money actually generated by the play-offs themselves. Its about keeping the season alive for two thirds of the league for most of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here