Sheffield Wednesday vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Sheffield-Wednesday-Crest (2) copy.gif
703.png

Sheffield Wednesday v Brighton

Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final (1st leg)

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium
Date: Friday 13th May 2016
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Darren Cann
Fourth official: Andy Woolmer

TEAM NEWS

• [*=left]Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal is set to recall a number of players who were rested for the defeat at Wolves on Saturday.
    [*=left]Winger Ross Wallace is back after a three-match ban and striker Atdhe Nuhiu (knee) is fit to play.
    [*=left]Brighton will be without suspended duo Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens, while veteran striker Bobby Zamora (hip) has been ruled out of both legs.
    [*=left]Steve Sidwell could replace Stephens, who starts a three-match ban.
    [*=left]After missing out on automatic promotion on the final day after drawing at Middlesbrough, Brighton travel to a sold-out Hillsborough to face a Wednesday side who finished sixth in the table, before hosting the return leg on Monday.
    [*=left]The South Yorkshire side are bidding to return to the Premier League for the first time since suffering relegation in 2000, while Brighton have not played in the top flight since 1982-83.
    [*=left]The Owls were successful in their only previous play-off campaign, winning the League One play-off final in 2004-05 by beating Hartlepool after extra-time.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost in the Championship play-off semi-finals twice in the past three seasons, first to rivals Crystal Palace in 2012-13 and then to Derby County in 2013-14.
    [*=left]The Seagulls lost a second-tier play-off final to Notts County in 1990-91 but were successful in their other play-off attempt, in the third tier in 2003-04 when they overcame Bristol City at the Millennium Stadium.
    [*=left]Both league meetings between Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton this season finished goalless.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal:

"We cry, we smile and we have a lot of happiness with our fans through the season. The fans have followed us through the good and bad moments this season.

"I appeal to them to bring a positive vibe and they will see what the players will give to them.

"The team has shown all season that it likes big games. It can be a very good night for us.

"The fans have had a long time without reasons to smile or enjoy (the football). We can feel the positivity from them.

"We arrive here without pressure because we are the underdogs."

Brighton manager Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"You have to look at the game as two cup finals. One can affect the other.

"We are talking about three days between the two games, but we play in a league where we are used to playing on a Saturday and a midweek.

"When you get to a play-off I don't think there are any favourites and it is a tough call between all four teams.

"That shows with the two results we have had against them this season. They are a very good side and certainly have goals in them.

"I expect it to be a tight affair. We know their dangers and that we can't treat them lightly."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]The last three matches between Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton have ended 0-0.
    [*=left]Brighton have failed to score in their last five contests with the Owls; Keith Andrews in 2013 was the last Seagulls player to score in this fixture.
    [*=left]Six of the last 10 teams to finish third in the Championship have gone on to win the play-offs.
    [*=left]The Owls have lost just one of their last 20 league games at Hillsborough (W12 D7), conceding more than once on just two occasions.
    [*=left]The Seagulls are unbeaten in their last 14 matches, winning nine and drawing five.
    [*=left]No Championship player has scored more league goals in 2016 than Sheffield Wednesday's Gary Hooper (11) and Brighton's Tomer Hemed (11).

The Big Play-Off Preview: Spotlight on Sheffield Wednesday (1st Leg)

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It's all about our midfield

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Friday the 13th. The sort of day where a team that has never won at a particular stadium can get a result.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Sheffield Wednesday :lolol:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
[tweet]731022933464879104[/tweet]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Previous game: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/9...onship-2015-2016-Sheffield-Wednesday-Brighton

Albion had more possession and touches, with Dale Stephens key in midfield and Dunk and Hünemeier rocks in defence, Solly March our best attacker and Calderón included on the right to make out midifeld presence stronger.

FT 0-0 Att: 23,712

Teams that lose the first game have only once got promoted and only one team that goes 0-2 down (Watford reduced the deficit in 4 mins) have reached the Final.

Got to be cagey, especially from the Albion. Wednesday are darn right defensive at the best of time playing 4-4-1-1 ( a good system with the second striker playing deeper).

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My starting team.
Stockdale
Bruno-Greer-Goldson-Rosenior
Knockaert-Sidwell-Kayal-Skalak
Hemed-Wilson

Lets not change our winning formula too much, it's served us well this season. Sidwell is an able replacement for Stephens. Rosenior at left back can cover for the erratic, but often sublime, Skalak.:bhasign:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That would be mine too but got a feeling CH will play 4-5-1 for a draw tight 0-0 tonight.
He probably will, but Wednesday will almost certainly see this game as their opportunity to notch a couple of goals. They'll realise we're all on a slight downer following the Middlesbrough draw and will want to take advantage of that. If we can be positive and try and get them on the counter attack it will help to ease the pressure they'll try to exert. Any reluctance for them to swamp forward helps us. Also players in natural positions must be preferential to trying Rosenior in a central midfield role. Now isn't the time to experiment.

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sheffield Wednesday vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

That would be mine too but got a feeling CH will play 4-5-1 for a draw tight 0-0 tonight.

Doubt it. He learnt his lesson at Cardiff. Sod all use the away draw against Palace did us in the play-offs. We need to try and win both games and CH knows it. We have the best away record in the league - we should capitalise on that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My starting team.
Stockdale
Bruno-Greer-Goldson-Rosenior
Knockaert-Sidwell-Kayal-Skalak
Hemed-Wilson

Mine too, except Baldock for Wilson.

If we still had Stephens, 4-5-1 might have been an idea, but I don't think we've got the players to do that now - can't see Crofts (or even Calde) being in the starting line up in a three man centre midfield.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bong left back, Rosenior right back, and Dale Stephens CM, with his head shaved and a fake beard.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Doubt it. He learnt his lesson at Cardiff. Sod all use the away draw against Palace did us in the play-offs. We need to try and win both games and CH knows it. We have the best away record in the league - we should capitalise on that.

I agree with you, I just hope CH does too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here