That dreadful decision deserves such derision
I’m amazed that it wasn’t a bribe….
Today, Hillsborough bound, a thought came around
Which is why this verse came to be penned
The best antidote to that old Shankly quote
Is to stand in the Leppings Lane end.

We all have our dreams and our hopes for our teams
And we sing ‘till we die’ in our youth.
Those folk sang, then they died. The police and press lied.
It took 27 years till the truth.
And if, as they might, Wednesday beat us tonight
To this comforting thought I’ll hold fast.
We’ll walk out of that ground, and get home safe and sound.
For the 96 – justice at last.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Well said, Attila. I don't, though, personally subscribe to the view that they've had justice yet. The truth, yes. It's a start. But for me justice will only follow when the people responsible, both for the disaster and the subsequent cover up and smear campaign, have actually had to pay for their actions.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I know there's a separate thread on it but I watched "Hillsborough - The Truth" the other night.
Pesky onions time ....

RESPECT to the 96 and their survivors .....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well said, Attila. I don't, though, personally subscribe to the view that they've had justice yet. The truth, yes. It's a start. But for me justice will only follow when the people responsible, both for the disaster and the subsequent cover up and smear campaign, have actually had to pay for their actions.

A big fat THIS. It's a start but Duckenfield et al have spent 27 years ruining the lives of the bereaved to protect themselves.

A big fat THIS. It's a start but Duckenfield et al have spent 27 years ruining the lives of the bereaved to protect themselves.

And the South Yorkshire Police, the CURRENT South Yorkshire Police deliberately continued to do so as well as lie, mislead, fabricate throughout the inquest and, arguably, after the verdicts were delivered.
SYP being in charge of the show this evening means that attending the game is a no, no for me.
Keep safe everyone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lovely prose @atilla

For my part, I still can't believe that end of the ground hasn't been bulldozed and rebuilt by now. That tunnel should no longer exist.

Hamilton

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

100% agree.

Great piece @atilla and I look forward to your piece when those that deserve to be held to account for all of the cover-ups, lies and ultimately the actions that led to those deaths get cross examined and when justice is truly handed down.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Of course, this is only the first step. The second is to prosecute the people responsible, not just for Hillsborough but for similiar lies and cover ups at Orgreave. But that is a different poem. (It's called 'Never Forget' and I posted it here a while ago.)
Perspective, that's what this one is about. Fat Cat here I come. Then we cheer our hearts out. We know where we were 19 years ago - whatever happens in the next few days it has been an incredible season. Thankyou, BHAFC.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
SYMM

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Lovely prose @atilla

For my part, I still can't believe that end of the ground hasn't been bulldozed and rebuilt by now. That tunnel should no longer exist.

Might seem overly dramatic but certainly was part of my decision making process about whether or not to go tonight. (Yes I know we're in the upper tier)

SWFC got pilloried in all of the investigations along with their contracted structural engineers for their design of the entire initial structure and the laughable annual safety inspections.

It really is a miracle that more people didn't die in that end on at least 2 or 3 other occasions that prior to the documentary I wasn't aware of.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Might seem overly dramatic but certainly was part of my decision making process about whether or not to go tonight. (Yes I know we're in the upper tier)

SWFC got pilloried in all of the investigations along with their contracted structural engineers for their design of the entire initial structure and the laughable annual safety inspections.

It really is a miracle that more people didn't die in that end on at least 2 or 3 other occasions that prior to the documentary I wasn't aware of.

Interesting piece in the Guardian today about the Sheffield Wednesday perspective on the disaster, and the way the club closed up and went into denial over the whole thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-hillsborough-brighton-championship-playoffs

The lies and the subsequent cover-up very much suited Wednesdays agenda back then to shift blame and try to forget it ever happened as quickly as possible. I found it astonishing that Hillsborough was one of the venues for Euro 96.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Interesting piece in the Guardian today about the Sheffield Wednesday perspective on the disaster, and the way the club closed up and went into denial over the whole thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-hillsborough-brighton-championship-playoffs

The lies and the subsequent cover-up very much suited Wednesdays agenda back then to shift blame and try to forget it ever happened as quickly as possible. I found it astonishing that Hillsborough was one of the venues for Euro 96.

Great article. Very insightful

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here