Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5.1 Surround Sound

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I've just inherited a new 5.1 system and I've got it all hooked up and sounding great, except for a hiss/static noise coming from all the speakers...some worse than others...HELP!?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've just inherited a new 5.1 system and I've got it all hooked up and sounding great, except for a hiss/static noise coming from all the speakers...some worse than others...HELP!?
Power cables crossing over speaker wire? Connections not properly pushed in/engaged?

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I've tried those, been working on it for hours...incredibly frustrating. Everything works its just staticy...enough to notice and be a nuisance! Thanks for your advice though...any more?

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I had every other electrical device in my living room switched off, with just the 5.1 amp and speakers on...they still have static

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
can be if you run speaker wire next to mains cable, check polarity. check individual speakers. fault finding is fun (I love it )

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Check the source volume. I've had issues before that were similar.

The laptop volume was set very low so I compensated by turning the surround system volume up so it was amplifying a low sound, all dull, muted and a bit hiss.

Once I turned the laptop volume up the surround was deafening, so turned that volume down. The stronger the input signal the less work the second system has to do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I take it the speakers are passive and you have a power amp. Try using an extension lead to that from another room, in case the amp is the problem.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

The laptop volume was set very low so I compensated by turning the surround system volume up so it was amplifying a low sound, all dull, muted and a bit hiss.

Once I turned the laptop volume up the surround was deafening, so turned that volume down. The stronger the input signal the less work the second system has to do.

Had the same problem and fixed it like this

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Same cure for me as well. It's so tempting to turn the volume of the sound bar up forgetting the source volume may be low.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here