uploadfromtaptalk1463073009174.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hope we're having this in the Amex on Monday

View attachment 74648

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

You are going to need something a bit stronger than this 3.6% piss on Monday, it's even weaker than the normal piss, must be to avoid Duty.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
You are going to need something a bit stronger than this 3.6% piss on Monday, it's even weaker than the normal piss, must be to avoid Duty.

Just realised it is the standard Blue Label relabelled !! Tasting notes on the back are identical

And yes, Tom Paine would be a better option

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Beer does not have to be strong to be decent, there has been a trend for ever stronger lagers and ales replacing traditional 3.5-4.5% session beers. One could be cynical and suggest it's a ploy by the capitalist brewers selling high strength alcoholic drinks to get as many people as possible hooked on their product, to keep them coming back with their wallets open. You rarely see an acoholic drinking a pint of mild. I think Harvey's Albion Ale is pretty decent, there are many bottled brews around the same strength that are excellent. I've even seen people choose wine based on its acoholic content, believing that higher alcohol means it's better wine. Of course, if you are just looking to get wankered then find something at 5.5 or 6% and convince yourself it's a better taste.

Oh, and Albion Ale has been available at the Amex since it opened 5 years ago.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Plateau.. Hophead are all that strength Veg but the difference is they taste nice. I shall be drinking strong beers from Craft no doubt on Monday. Numb the pain probably.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was drinking Elvis juice from Brewdog last night. 6.5abv and it opens as a fruity grapefruit drink and then turns into beer at the end. I liked it but an odd one no doubt.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have a bottle of Fullers vintage ale, 8.5% that my missus bought me years ago,that I was either going to drink on the birth of my first grandchild, or when the Albion get to the Premier league.

I was thinking about it last week, and decided I would have it on Saturday night, if things had turned out better. Well, I obviously didn't get to drink it Saturday, but,by coincidence, there was something on the news about a £250 bottle of beer, on Monday morning. It was a bottle of Fullers Vintage Ale, brewed in 1997, I didn't know what year mine was ,so checked it Monday night.
Unfortunately, mine isn't 1997, but 2003 so not worth 250quid, but it is one of the rarer ones and worth £170.
That is the only reason I'm glad we didn't win on Saturday, I would have been gutted had I drunk a 170 quid bottle of beer

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Beer does not have to be strong to be decent, there has been a trend for ever stronger lagers and ales replacing traditional 3.5-4.5% session beers. One could be cynical and suggest it's a ploy by the capitalist brewers selling high strength alcoholic drinks to get as many people as possible hooked on their product, to keep them coming back with their wallets open. You rarely see an acoholic drinking a pint of mild. I think Harvey's Albion Ale is pretty decent, there are many bottled brews around the same strength that are excellent. I've even seen people choose wine based on its acoholic content, believing that higher alcohol means it's better wine. Of course, if you are just looking to get wankered then find something at 5.5 or 6% and convince yourself it's a better taste.

I partly agree. But, I struggle with 3-4% beers as personally I don't think they taste as good. And I typically drink it by the half.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think you are, ironically, ignoring the gravity of the situation.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I partly agree. But, I struggle with 3-4% beers as personally I don't think they taste as good. And I typically drink it by the half.

Have you tried Kernels Table Beer? That's around 3% and I think it's great. As for tasting as good, there are some spectacular milds around the 3-4% mark which are rich and full of body, try 'Pressed Rat and Warthog'. Sadly the likes of K&B Sussex, Pompey Royal, County Bitter and many others are long gone, all were around or below 4%. I agree, it's a rare thing to find a great lower alcohol beer, but not impossible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like the Albion Ale, a pretty decent mainstream beer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you tried Kernels Table Beer? That's around 3% and I think it's great. As for tasting as good, there are some spectacular milds around the 3-4% mark which are rich and full of body, try 'Pressed Rat and Warthog'. Sadly the likes of K&B Sussex, Pompey Royal, County Bitter and many others are long gone, all were around or below 4%. I agree, it's a rare thing to find a great lower alcohol beer, but not impossible.

I've not tried their table beer but I'm very familiar with their IPAs and stouts. A very good brewery. Most of the lower alcohol beers I've tried over the past few years have tended to be pale ales which for me just don't compare with their stronger cousins for flavour. Take Dead Pony versus Punk for example. But, you make a good point about milds; for me a much neglected style. I can imagine they will work better. Maybe I need to try a different type. I'll report back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I've not tried their table beer but I'm very familiar with their IPAs and stouts. A very good brewery. Most of the lower alcohol beers I've tried over the past few years have tended to be pale ales which for me just don't compare with their stronger cousins for flavour. Take Dead Pony versus Punk for example. But, you make a good point about milds; for me a much neglected style. I can imagine they will work better. Maybe I need to try a different type. I'll report back.

This was particularly good this evening at the Five Bells in Smock Alley

b2418911e24b1321897df54de0f6ec12.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

And this is exceptional at 3.8%

45831dd9e5a1801b3448de6788c6cadc.jpg

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Spot on - I don't like strong beers, give me a 3.5% any day. When I first got bottled Albion Ale it tasted different to Blue Label - but it has always been identical - just shows what the mind can do!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here