Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The day that Sussex died -100th anniversary this year

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I only read about this, this week and am a bit ashamed I'd never heard of it before. It's coming up to the 100th anniversary on 30th June 1916 of a push by the 11th, 12th, 13th Southdown Battalions (what a brilliant name). It was a march into No Man's Land that the Germans were already prepared for and one in which a commanding officer was relieved of his post for refusing to lead his men to their deaths. A VC was awarded together with twenty Military Medals, eight Distinguished Conduct Medals, four MCs and a Distinguished Service Order.

Taken from this website: http://www.eastsussexww1.org.uk/day-sussex-died/

"...When the time came to take stock, the casualty numbers were tremendous. The 11th Battalion had sustained 116 casualties whilst supporting the attack. The 12th Battalion lost 429 men either killed or wounded. The 13th Battalion, however, had been almost entirely destroyed with over 800 men being killed, wounded or captured. In total, the three Southdowns Battalions suffered 366 killed and over 1000 wounded or taken prisoner. The majority of officers and Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) in these positions were among the casualties. Around 70% of those that died came from Sussex with estimates including up to 12 sets of brothers. The Southdowns Battalions would be rebuilt over time but they would lose much of their Sussex identity with recruits being brought in from across the country. The majority of those Sussex men who were killed are buried at cemeteries near Richebourg. There is no memorial to the Battle of the Boar’s Head in Britain."

Has anyone got anything more on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
boars_head_10-02.jpg

http://www.webmatters.net/monuments/ww1_boars_head_2.htm

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
After the war, St Georges Chapel, in Chichester Cathedral, was restored and furnished as a memorial to the fallen of the Royal Sussex Regiment. It now has all their names recorded on the panels that are attached to the chapel walls.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I only read about this, this week and am a bit ashamed I'd never heard of it before. It's coming up to the 100th anniversary on 30th June 1016 of a push by the 11th, 12th, 13th Southdown Battalions (what a brilliant name). It was a march into No Man's Land that the Germans were already prepared for and one in which a commanding officer was relieved of his post for refusing to lead his men to their deaths. A VC was awarded together with twenty Military Medals, eight Distinguished Conduct Medals, four MCs and a Distinguished Service Order.

Taken from this website: http://www.eastsussexww1.org.uk/day-sussex-died/

"...When the time came to take stock, the casualty numbers were tremendous. The 11th Battalion had sustained 116 casualties whilst supporting the attack. The 12th Battalion lost 429 men either killed or wounded. The 13th Battalion, however, had been almost entirely destroyed with over 800 men being killed, wounded or captured. In total, the three Southdowns Battalions suffered 366 killed and over 1000 wounded or taken prisoner. The majority of officers and Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) in these positions were among the casualties. Around 70% of those that died came from Sussex with estimates including up to 12 sets of brothers. The Southdowns Battalions would be rebuilt over time but they would lose much of their Sussex identity with recruits being brought in from across the country. The majority of those Sussex men who were killed are buried at cemeteries near Richebourg. There is no memorial to the Battle of the Boar’s Head in Britain."

Has anyone got anything more on this?

It was mentioned on here before I believe. Utterly unbelieveable and one of those things I could never get my head around.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sometimes your feet are weary, Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary, Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring, Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately something that was repeated throughout the war with many regional battalions and therefore communities being almost wiped out.
Reading such stories just reinforces how powerful the final Black Adder scene was and still is.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think it was in Kent, but a remember a story from WW1 of the postman delivering telegrams along the same street after a battle and he dumped the mail bag and couldn't carry on, as each door he delivered to, the howls of grief screamed out. All over the country with the pals battalions, it's just impossible to comprehend now.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When the tears well up, as they always do, when I sing out loud Sussex By The Sea I will be thinking of these men and boys on Monday night.
Changes the argument over the words we sing as well.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
When the tears well up, as they always do, when I sing out loud Sussex By The Sea I will be thinking of these men and boys on Monday night.

It's why it should always be 'stand or fall' and why everyone should know the words, in my opinion. These boys marched to their deaths singing it, representing Sussex. The history of the song for the county and where it came from is far more important than sport.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

It's why it should always be 'stand or fall' and why everyone should know the words, in my opinion. These boys marched to their deaths singing it, representing Sussex. The history of the song for the county and where it came from is far more important than sport.

It doesn't CHANGE the argument. There should BE no argument.

Stand or fall.

May 12, 2009
My great great uncle served with the 11th Battalion - the South Downs Battalions were known as Lowther's Lambs. He was wounded in September but died of those wounds and is buried in Framfield Churchyard.

There is a very good book on the subject by John Baines I think called the Day Sussex Died

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
May 12, 2009
Also another great great uncle was killed in July with the 2nd Battalion the Royal Sussex. Will be visiting his grave on the 100th anniversary on the Somme.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Unfortunately something that was repeated throughout the war with many regional battalions and therefore communities being almost wiped out.
Reading such stories just reinforces how powerful the final Black Adder scene was and still is.

I'm fortunate because my Grandad was a baker, he was in the Army Service Corps, now the RASC. He did get wounded in the leg, but survived. My Dad wasn't born until Jan 1920, so I wouldn't be here, if he hadn't.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
The Sussex county flag has been presented to the Deputy Mayor of Richebourg, France by the Mayor of Worthing to fly at the Richebourg war graves on 30th June this year to commemorate "the Day Sussex died". Many of those brave men who lost their lives at the Battle of the Boar's Head now lay at Richebourg.
image.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed. Occasionally people, with the best intentions, suggest we should ditch GOSBTS in favour of some modern throwaway disco tune or whatever. But if our own unique identity means anything to us we should be proud to sing the same song that those lads would have recognised, the song that connects the generations of Sussex since the Albion was formed.

"You can tell them all that we stand or fall"

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My granddad was one of the ones killed.He was badley wounded and sent back home to recuperate, but died a short time later. He is buried in the war graves section at Hove cemetary.Corporal Percy George, Royal Sussex Reg.

My grandad was at Galippoli, I got his service record from the National Archives at Kew, its quite fascinating to see this :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I'm going to the England v Wales match in Lens in June, will now pass by Richebourg which is just 20 minutes away.

Hard to imagine a time when life was given so cheaply by others. And also had to imagine the commitment of people to do it. Just wouldn't happen today, thank god.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here