Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Travel On Monday

el punal

A bit of advice please. My daughter is travelling down from London for the play-off second leg game against Wednesday on Monday. Now, as it's been widely reported, the train service to Falmer for evening matches has been an absolute shambles - particularly the queueing system at Brighton.

I've told her to catch the train to Lewes before the game, and then onto Falmer, and after the game back to Brighton for return on London bound trains.

Is this sensible advice or does anyone have a better option?

Cheers!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the trains are running OK, Brighton isn't too bad as long as you don't get there too late, but less people go through Lewes for sure.

I can't comment after the game - I always go via Brighton but never rush down for the train - we have a drink and let the peak subside.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Going in via Lewes gets very busy on evening games, so get there as early as possible - often people unable to get on the first train through as it's too full after 6.30pm ish

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I travel down from London myself. Usually aim to get to Brighton between 6-6:30 and am fine to get there in time. If I have work early next day I usually run to station as soon as final whistle goes and get the 10 24 back up to London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
As long as the scheduled service runs there are enough trains to get you to the game for midweek. I normally arrive in Brighton just after 6.40 and then join the queue. Brween 6.30 and 7.30 there a four scheduled train ay 18.38, 18.51, 19.08 and 19.23 and IIRC there is an additional train around 19.00 when an Eastbourne service makes an additional unscheduled stop at Falmer. That should get you to the game on time even if they are short formation trains.

If however any of those are cancelled it will be chaos.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Going in via Lewes gets very busy on evening games, so get there as early as possible - often people unable to get on the first train through as it's too full after 6.30pm ish

Must admit only once have I not been able to get onto a Lewes train at about 18.40, although its all about where you stand on the platform, no I'm not going to say where. The only exception was the Bristol City game (stewardgate) when there was an accident at Firle and we didn't get to Lewes until after 19.15.

The issue will be if it goes to extra time and/or penalties, but the ground will only be half full at the end if that happens anyway

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Get to Brighton station by, say, 6:30-6:45, look at the queue and if it's a silly length (i.e. taking up most/all of the taxi rank area or beyond at the front of the station), walk down Trafalgar street, cross over at the bottom to the other side of St Peter's church and catch a 25 bus to the stadium. Has always worked for me for evening matches when there has been congestion at the station.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Must admit only once have I not been able to get onto a Lewes train at about 18.40, although its all about where you stand on the platform, no I'm not going to say where. The only exception was the Bristol City game (stewardgate) when there was an accident at Firle and we didn't get to Lewes until after 19.15.

The issue will be if it goes to extra time and/or penalties, but the ground will only be half full at the end if that happens anyway

Indeed.......I also have a 'spot'.........:wink: If there are any cancellations though it quickly turns very crowded after 6.30

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here