Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Train Doors - getting suspicious

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Last night my train from Victoria was delayed because of the doors.

This morning my train was delayed because of the doors.

I am now on another train which had been delayed because of the doors.

Coincidence? Maybe, but this, coupled with guards' new found enthusiasm for checking tickets and SASTA' s comments about recent unprecedented levels of sickness are making me increasingly cynical.

Has the commuter ever been used as a pawn in a more shameless way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's probably more to do with the incompetent twats in the purchasing department at Southern deciding to SCRIMP by buying utterly pony rolling stock made out of tin foil.

Incompetence afterall, oozes through that entire company. I think we all know that.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Isn't the sickness thing because the guards are working to rule now? Whereas before they would do a bit extra to cover absences and sickness, now they do the bare minimum their contract requires. [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] will know best about this.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Isn't the sickness thing because the guards are working to rule now? Whereas before they would do a bit extra to cover absences and sickness, now they do the bare minimum their contract requires. [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] will know best about this.
I think SASTA have banned the guards doing overtime ( presumably to stop them making up wages lost on strike days ? ).

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think SASTA have banned the guards doing overtime ( presumably to stop them making up wages lost on strike days ? ).

Hilarious, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. When will these buffoons have their franchise taken off of them?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
it would not surprise me at all if while the guards are working they are picking up every little health and safety fault they can find to get a train delayed or cancelled. It might be something totally trivial like Southerns handbook says an internal door must auto close within 5 seconds and the guard finds one that takes 6 seconds so reports it as a fault because they have to now do what Southerns management tell them or risk losing their jobs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There have always been issues with doors whether its the external doors that wont open or intetnal opens which get stuck. Its just the frequency that these problems occur. While the issue has been resolved when the slam door trains where replaced you had the situation where 12 carriage trains arriving at Portslade heading to London that the doors on the rear 4 carriages never opened. The reason was that the opposite platform was shorter and the computer didnt know which platform the train was arriving at. Which just shows the unwillingness to invest to ensure things run smoothly from day one.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Guards aren't working to rule at all, SASTA have BANNED any guard who has taken industrial action from working any overtime so where in the past sickness could be covered it can't now and then SASTA blame the cancellations on Conductor sickness.

When all the Guards have been sacked and the drivers are on strike it will be then driver sickness and they're working to rule which they won't be as are not the Conductors.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Guards aren't working to rule at all, SASTA have BANNED any guard who has taken industrial action from working any overtime so where in the past sickness could be covered it can't now and then SASTA blame the cancellations on Conductor sickness.

When all the Guards have been sacked and the drivers are on strike it will be then driver sickness and they're working to rule which they won't be as are not the Conductors.

Thanks for the clarification.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I don't think anyone is using door issues (which are normally caused by passengers forcing them open for last minute boarding) to cause more trouble but it wouldn't surprise me if guards are being extra careful. I know at the moment I'm making sure everything is done by the book on doo trains. I'd also point out that Southern's tactics are getting increasingly dirty. By no means all the recent cancellations are due to guards in spite of what they say - I've seen plenty of trains cancelled this week when both driver and guard have been available to work it yet the customer information screens have blamed a lack of guards for the cancellation. The problem is that passengers believe the rubbish GTR spout.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't think anyone is using door issues (which are normally caused by passengers forcing them open for last minute boarding) to cause more trouble but it wouldn't surprise me if guards are being extra careful. I know at the moment I'm making sure everything is done by the book on doo trains. I'd also point out that Southern's tactics are getting increasingly dirty. By no means all the recent cancellations are due to guards in spite of what they say - I've seen plenty of trains cancelled this week when both driver and guard have been available to work it yet the customer information screens have blamed a lack of guards for the cancellation. The problem is that passengers believe the rubbish GTR spout.

....we don't, we really don't........!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My train in to Brighton on Saturday had door issues also - only the front cars opened at all, we all had to go up the gangway through the drivers cabins to get out from the rear cars.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Its unfortunate that passengers are suffereing , but i dont blame guards for taking industrial action one little bit, they are being screwed by GTR , its a disgrace what is happening to them.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Govia's recent spin would embarrass Sadam's comical Ali.

Everything from their veiled comments that guards are taking more sickies is the reason for current operating problems when if fact they have banned overtime, to the most patronising crap that closing ticket offices at busy stations will improve customer service.

The railways should be run by experienced railwaymen, not some acne faced graduate with a degree in 6th Century Egyptian pottery or sharp suited gimp spouting corporate PR spin who has a previous career in the city or the retail trade or whatever.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hilarious, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. When will these buffoons have their franchise taken off of them?

Maybe that's what they want. Seem to be fewer companies wanting to take up the franchises nowadays once they realise that they can't just skim money off the top, they actually have to provide a meaningful service also. Hopefully the path to renationalisation of the railways.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here