Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop screen help

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The screen on my three year old Lenovo G500 has gone blank. Laptop works well as I'm using it on a second screen. But main screen has died, it was playing up for a few months before this.
So is it easily fixed (expert can solder a loose cable) or time to buy a new laptop?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Possibly the backlight not lighting.( This is also the same with LED TV's when my back light was knackered on my laptop it cost £50) A quick way to check is with the room dark, shine a torch very close to the surface of the screen while the laptop is on. if the back light is knackered you will see the images from the PC in the torch light. if the screen is black then backlight is not on to light it up,
so it might be faulty backlight, a faulty component or faulty connection, e.g. broken wire/ solder. Any of these require a fix, look for a local shop ( not PC world)

If the torch test doesn't show any image, the fault is probably in the graphics ( edit might be video chip ) card or chip that drives the screen. In this case, because the backlight will be on but the LCD screen turned to black, in a dark room you will normally be able to see a slight blue-grey glow from the screen. again needs a repair but may not be economically viable....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Have you upgraded to Windows 10 recently? I was having issues with the black screen issue.

I nearly smashed the thing up and bought a new one but it fixed itself somehow.

Are you using it as second screen only? On Windows 10 if you hold the windows button down and press p it will give you options for pc screen, duplicate screen, extend screens or second screen only. Just cycle through them and see if that helps.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here