Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flairs being let off at football

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I always like it when flares/ smoke bombs get let off- but for the people that let them off, what is the penalty?

I know you can face up to 3 months in prison or a lifetime ban from football, but is this really imposed? It seems a massive deterrent yet people still let them off so are the punishments actually enforced?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I always like it when flares/ smoke bombs get let off- but for the people that let them off, what is the penalty?

I know you can face up to 3 months in prison or a lifetime ban from football, but is this really imposed? It seems a massive deterrent yet people still let them off so are the punishments actually enforced?

You won't get a lifetime ban nor will you get sent to prison (unless you are really really unlucky or have previous). You'll be VERY lucky not to get charged and given how good CCTV is at grounds these day you will have little choice but to plead guilty. Chances are you'll get a slap on the wrist and a fine, community service maybe.

The old bill will most likely apply for a football banning order and the magistrate will have little choice to impose. The minimum term is 3 years and the max is 5 years for a non custodial sentence (6 and 10 for custodial). You can appeal after 2/3rds so it's likely you'll have at the very least a 2 year ban from football (but you also need to consider that any time spent on bail with conditions banning you as well. That time doesn't count against your FBO). The police can impose conditions to your order banning you from certain areas during games (2km from the stadium seems to be Sussex plod fave) and you will have to surrender your passport every time England (as well as BHA should we ever get that far) play abroad and for the whole event during tournaments.

Worth it??

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

You have overlooked that it is also an offence to attempt to gain entry when in possession of a flare/firework/smoke bomb and the Courts seldom see these differently.

Also the banning order will be in addition to rather than.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
You won't get a lifetime ban nor will you get sent to prison (unless you are really really unlucky or have previous). You'll be VERY lucky not to get charged and given how good CCTV is at grounds these day you will have little choice but to plead guilty. Chances are you'll get a slap on the wrist and a fine, community service maybe.

The old bill will most likely apply for a football banning order and the magistrate will have little choice to impose. The minimum term is 3 years and the max is 5 years for a non custodial sentence (6 and 10 for custodial). You can appeal after 2/3rds so it's likely you'll have at the very least a 2 year ban from football (but you also need to consider that any time spent on bail with conditions banning you as well. That time doesn't count against your FBO). The police can impose conditions to your order banning you from certain areas during games (2km from the stadium seems to be Sussex plod fave) and you will have to surrender your passport every time England (as well as BHA should we ever get that far) play abroad and for the whole event during tournaments.

Worth it??

Yeh I'm not planning on doing it, I was just wondering if the penalties are actually imposed- this answers it perfectly, cheers.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Blind or injure someone accidently with a flare and you will most likely go to prison.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Some idiot neanderthal lit one on the packed Falmer train platform after the beam back on Monday, burning soot everywhere. Not a good idea.

el punal

Blind or injure someone accidently with a flare and you will most likely go to prison.

Didn't something as serious as this did happen a few years back at the Millenium Stadium? I believe Wales were playing (football) and an idiot fired a distress flare which hit another fan and killed him. The guilty party got sent down for manslaughter.

???

Attachments

• scan0036.jpg
    scan0036.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 234

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here