Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Threat level from Northern Ireland-related terrorism in GB raised to substantial

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I thought Europe was supposed to protect us.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Is there any explanation of why the threat is increased? BBC article rather vaguely says:

"Home Secretary Theresa May said the level, set by security service MI5, "reflects the continuing threat from dissident republican activity".The level for Northern Ireland-related terrorism in Northern Ireland remains severe, meaning an attack is "highly likely".

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why do we need different threat levels depending on where the terrorist is from. If a bomb goes off and you are unfortunately close by I'm sure your 1st thought wouldn't be is that an Irish or an ISIS bomb, but its a bomb so just one level is really necessary,

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why do we need different threat levels depending on where the terrorist is from. If a bomb goes off and you are unfortunately close by I'm sure your 1st thought wouldn't be is that an Irish or an ISIS bomb, but its a bomb so just one level is really necessary,

After carrying out new profiling analysis taking into account the dual threats the security services are on the look out for individuals who look a bit like this ..

b1db9dc421ebec1086efac5ff61f875f.jpg

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

My first thought is "Oh Sh!t."

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
If we're lucky, it will mean the police clamp down hard on the unwelcome guests bearing caravans and lovely gifts for the communities whose cricket pitches and rec grounds become temporary home to such people during the summer months.

I'm half-joking.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is there any explanation of why the threat is increased? BBC article rather vaguely says:

"Home Secretary Theresa May said the level, set by security service MI5, "reflects the continuing threat from dissident republican activity".The level for Northern Ireland-related terrorism in Northern Ireland remains severe, meaning an attack is "highly likely".

I thought it was about a lot of Semtex brought in from Libya and stockpiled has gone missing and assumed to be in the hands of a group that opposes the Peace Process and are willing to use it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I don't think it is where the terrorists come from but information gathered which show that something is happening. It could be arms or semtex gone missing, or it could be that people under observation are acting suspiciously.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nah. It's them mild mannered peace loving Christians.
Ah, so any terrorist acts carried out from or in northern ireland will be in the name of christianity will they , same as the threat from islamic fundamentalists , yes ? Thought not :wanker:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

I imagine the way the police and security services deal with threats are different depending on the type of organisations who are going to be likely to undertake attacks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here