Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Meant to be docking 4pm approx

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What is the difference between a "boat" and a "ship" ?

I was made very aware many years ago by a Canadian pilot when I wrongly called his "aircraft" a "plane"
"Sir: A plane is a carpenter's tool !"

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What is the difference between a "boat" and a "ship" ?

I was made very aware many years ago by a Canadian pilot when I wrongly called his "aircraft" a "plane"
"Sir: A plane is a carpenter's tool !"

Generally speaking, it's size, but the Navy only refers to subs as boats. Everything else has it's own name, like destroyer, frigate, dinghy, yacht, motor launch etc.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Generally speaking, it's size, but the Navy only refers to subs as boats. Everything else has it's own name, like destroyer, frigate, dinghy, yacht, motor launch etc.

That's interesting, because it means that the newly-built Antarctic research vessel shouldn't have been called Boaty McBoatface in the first place. And I thought giving that name to its sister submersible instead was incorrect...guess you learn something new every day.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A submarine is a Boat. In other worlds a boat fits on a ship, a ship won't fit on a boat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks like it's ripe for joining the other old naval houseboats in Shoreham :smile:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's interesting, because it means that the newly-built Antarctic research vessel shouldn't have been called Boaty McBoatface in the first place. And I thought giving that name to its sister submersible instead was incorrect...guess you learn something new every day.

Shippy McShipface?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here