Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Holloway's five-step guide to winning the play-offs

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Seems fair enough to me, CH not picking the right players and GP being arrogant cant be denied.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Having one of your own empty their bowels in your dressing-room and then blaming it on the opposition…that always helps.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think possession of the ball is the key. This, according to percentage football, is purely a defensive tactic. If the other side haven't got he ball, and the defence does their job (not making errors), the opposition will be restricted to long shots and set pieces.

I was impressed by how Arsenal set out at the Amex last season. Not so much goals early on (it helps) but they barely allowed as a touch from the start. Keeping up the pressing game for 90 minutes is hard to do though.

I thought we did OK at Boro. Too many errors, but I thought we looked in for a very good chance until Dale Stephens got sent off. We had the ball a lot and it would have counted if the game went on with 11 men.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Matches can change on one error. Upson v Derby was the turning point.

I think it is good to be innovative. Who would have expected Forsyth to turn up in our penalty area?

I would like to see CH spring a surprise one in a while. He seems very conservative.

Having a full back in the opposing penalty area is a big risk (if we lose the ball). Come on Bruno!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If the opposition does not make an error, the game needs to be won by a piece of individual skill or a set peice.

If we have most of the possession (like we have recently) we will get more opportunities.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Would that be the unemployed Ian Holloway who is giving out this advice and who currently freelances on TV to scrape out a living at the moment

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Personally I thought that was a decent read and insight. Putting his past allegiances to one side I can't help but like the guy and his enthusiasm for the game. I have found that he has been very complementary about us and CH this season and he clearly rates Kayal highly. I'd hate him to get another managers job in the Championship or Prem any time soon as I reckon Kayal would be first on his shopping list !

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Would that be the unemployed Ian Holloway who is giving out this advice and who currently freelances on TV to scrape out a living at the moment

Very harsh. I have a lot of respect for the guy. I'm sure he'd find a managerial job if he wanted (unlike many pundits...).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Interesting read. Mind games and all that. Don't think CH is into that, but then again I dont think he lets those things affect him. Holloway has got to be one of the more experianced p[lay off managers around.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Very harsh. I have a lot of respect for the guy. I'm sure he'd find a managerial job if he wanted (unlike many pundits...).

The bloke is NUTZ

Yes he will get jobs if he can see past his own ego to drop to League 1 or lower.

He spends most of his time courting the Press and Sponsors. Even when managing teams he is often in Hospitality Suites up to and past 2.45pm sometimes before matches with the Sponsors and Press telling them what he is going to do and how his team are going to play. That's when he should be with his own players telling them what to do, and most other Managers are but not Olly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here