Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter to the FA

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Dear Sirs,

Further to the decision of referee Mike Dean to send off Dale Stephens in the game between Middlesbrough and Brighton and Hove Albion on May 7, 2016, and the subsequent decision of the Football Association reviews panel to uphold his decision and enforce the full three-game ban on the player, for the benefit of clubs, players and fans throughout the country, I wonder if you could clarify the following new laws for football.

1. Intercepting and kicking a free ball is a punishable offence.
2. A completely accidental challenge on another player is a punishable offence.
3. The extent of any injury, even if attained by a fair or accidental challenge, shall determine the punishment given.
4. If the injury is sustained by a player not wearing full shin pads, and thereby attaining a worse injury than would otherwise be the case, the punishment is a red card.
5. Deliberately knocking a card out of the referee’s hand is lawful and should go unpunished.
6. Referees should allow themselves at all times to be told what card to issue on the advice of the injured player.
7. The final decision on any incident should be made by assistant referees with an obscured view who are standing at least 40 yards away, rather than the referee himself even if he is a few yards from the incident and saw it clearly.

I hope you can verify that these new rules are now in place. After all, it would be terrible, for example, if referees were allowed to inexplicably change a card from yellow to red, changing the course of a match and possibly the course of subsequent matches, purely on a whim with no requirement to explain their actions, even if they could potentially cost the player's club promotion and hundreds of millions of pounds.

Yours etc.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
fef308878c2220e3f1e3d498caa23f81.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whilst I agree with everything you have said, good luck with getting a sensible answer. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Not expecting an answer of any description. Just making a point.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Well said. There should be one of these threads for every person on here just to get it off their chest.

Moshe Junior learned a new phrase at breakfast time this morning.

"travesty of justice"

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Well said. There should be one of these threads for every person on here just to get it off their chest.

Moshe Junior learned a new phrase at breakfast time this morning.

"travesty of justice"

Yeah, thought I'd feel better today. But still angry.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Dear Sirs,

Further to the decision of referee Mike Dean to send off Dale Stephens in the game between Middlesbrough and Brighton and Hove Albion on May 7, 2016, and the subsequent decision of the Football Association reviews panel to uphold his decision and enforce the full three-game ban on the player, for the benefit of clubs, players and fans throughout the country, I wonder if you could clarify the following new laws for football.

3. The extent of any injury, even if attained by a fair or accidental challenge, shall determine the punishment given.
4. If the injury is sustained by a player not wearing full shin pads, and thereby attaining a worse injury than would otherwise be the case, the punishment is a red card.
5. Deliberately knocking a card out of the referee’s hand is lawful and should go unpunished.
6. Referees should allow themselves at all times to be told what card to issue on the advice of the injured player.
7. The final decision on any incident should be made by assistant referees with an obscured view who are standing at least 40 yards away, rather than the referee himself even if he is a few yards from the incident and saw it clearly.

I do hope you can verify that these new rules are now in place. After all, it would be terrible, for example, if referees were allowed to inexplicably change a card from yellow to red, changing the course of a match and possibly the course of subsequent matches, purely on a whim with no requirement to explain their actions, even if they could potentially cost the player's club promotion and hundreds of millions of pounds.

Yours etc.

i doubt youd get an answer, but i'd send it and copy it to the press. It is a sport with laws that govern the sport and decision making and human error can be made by referees, but it is also big business and mistakes in sporting decisions can potentially cost that business millions in lost revenues and must be fully accounted for.

The Boro game is done, but the consequences of losing a pivotal player for potentially 3 games that are worth £170 mill to the business should be considered.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've also learned the word "cluster****fliddery"

I'm going to use this at some point towards a colleague. It won't take long with some of the muppet I work with.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle

Expect nothing, kevo, 'cos that's precisely what came of contacting the FA (and the FL) about us being asset-stripped all those years ago. The fate of BHAFC meant nothing to them then, and it means nothing now.......We've just got to knuckle down and reach the Prem IN SPITE of them....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Expect nothing, kevo, 'cos that's precisely what came of contacting the FA (and the FL) about us being asset-stripped all those years ago. The fate of BHAFC meant nothing to them then, and it means nothing now.......We've just got to knuckle down and reach the Prem IN SPITE of them....

As I said, just making a point... felt a bit better for writing it, tbh. They are ******

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Dear Sirs,

I hope you can verify that these new rules are now in place. After all, it would be terrible, for example, if referees were allowed to inexplicably change a card from yellow to red, changing the course of a match and possibly the course of subsequent matches, purely on a whim with no requirement to explain their actions, even if they could potentially cost the player's club promotion and hundreds of millions of pounds.

Yours etc.

This is exactly my point. Most on here are meekly accepting that nothing can be done but we need to make a point. If hundreds or even thousands of us post or email this letter it may not get a reply but it will aggravate them to hell and might just make them stop and think for a moment. Their arrogance and intransigence defies belief and they cannot be allowed to brush justice under the carpet.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is exactly my point. Most on here are meekly accepting that nothing can be done but we need to make a point. If hundreds or even thousands of us post or email this letter it may not get a reply but it will aggravate them to hell and might just make them stop and think for a moment. Their arrogance and intransigence defies belief and they cannot be allowed to brush justice under the carpet.

I fully agree. The red card, and the subsequent decision to uphold it, were just wrong on so many levels. As much as I want to now, I don't think we should let it lie (cue Vic and Bob).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I fully agree. The red card, and the subsequent decision to uphold it, were just wrong on so many levels. As much as I want to now, I don't think we should let it lie (cue Vic and Bob).

The FA rely on clubs and fans going....." oh well, that's that then...nothing we can do....we just have to move on ".......all authorities do this. They rely on general apathy. Sadly, a lot of BHA fans are expressing that sentiment and will do nothing. Those of us who feel aggrieved by this injustice need to contact the FA. We need to know the names of those that sat in judgement on the appeals committee. Those names need to be circulated and examined. We need written answers as to all the points you have covered in your letter.
We may not achieve anything other than satisfaction that we made an effort but isn't it worth having a little go and trying to show others that we care that the governing body of the game we all love behaves in a fit and proper manner.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I would like to find out if a players suspension is counted as being fullfilled if a game he is suspended for, for some reason, does not finish and has to be replayed.

I think I know what you're driving at here..........

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

What is wrong with you people? No one outside of BHAFC gives a ****. It didn't even make Sky Sports News the hour I watched last night and they had a bit about push bikes.

The FA aren't corrupt, they've just sided with their referee. We're not the first club to fall foul to a poor refereeing decision and we won't be the last. Yes there was and is a lot at stake but the reality of the situation was we looked a better side in my opinion when we went down to 10. Yes Stevens will be missed but that is life. Sometimes you don't get the rub of the green.

Plenty of folk on here took great pleasure in ripping it out of Palace when on of their mongs started a petition over Liverpool's last minute penalty. Writing to the FA, contacting the press, tweeting a hashtag is just as bad in my eye.

Some of you need to stop acting like spoilt kids who are pissing their pants over one decision when the reality is over the course of the season we didn't quite do enough to go up automatically. We've now got another chance to have a go at it so get behind the team and stop bloody whinging about something you haven't got a flying frigs chance of changing.

Grow up and start looking forward to Friday/Monday.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What is wrong with you people? No one outside of BHAFC gives a ****. It didn't even make Sky Sports News the hour I watched last night and they had a bit about push bikes.

The FA aren't corrupt, they've just sided with their referee. We're not the first club to fall foul to a poor refereeing decision and we won't be the last. Yes there was and is a lot at stake but the reality of the situation was we looked a better side in my opinion when we went down to 10. Yes Stevens will be missed but that is life. Sometimes you don't get the rub of the green.

Plenty of folk on here took great pleasure in ripping it out of Palace when on of their mongs started a petition over Liverpool's last minute penalty. Writing to the FA, contacting the press, tweeting a hashtag is just as bad in my eye.

Some of you need to stop acting like spoilt kids who are pissing their pants over one decision when the reality is over the course of the season we didn't quite do enough to go up automatically. We've now got another chance to have a go at it so get behind the team and stop bloody whinging about something you haven't got a flying frigs chance of changing.

Grow up and start looking forward to Friday/Monday.

Paras 1 to 3, I get your points and are fair enough comments. Paras 4 and 5 are a bit unnecessary imo, given the importance of the decision and the possible ramifications for the club we all love.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The letter will get no further than an office junior yet alone somebody who either matters or cares but all power to the OP for venting his
feelings. I do not believe the FA is corrupt but past experience tells me that it is overloaded with oldies who want to reminisce about Billy Wright etc and are of the opinion that the ref is correct and should be backed or (a) we wont get new refs (b) players and clubs would take over their power (c) Ref wouldnt have taken that decision at the time if not correct, never a suggestion of a possible mistake.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here