Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boleyn Ground/Upton Park

Is anyone else getting sick to death of the blanket coverage about West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium.

Sky are quite positively ******* themselves silly over it, BBC Breakfast News was running it as a lead story.

The crowd could reach out and touch the players is a line I've heard over and over and over this last few days.

Who gives a shit, it’s not as if anything ever happened there of note*

*Admittedly West Ham did win the World Cup for us all in 1966.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Yes, yes I am.

I'll be glad when this ACTUAL* last match is out of the way.

*having listened to them drone on, about the LAST EVER FA cup tie / LAST EVER Saturday match / LAST EVER London derby / LAST EVER blah blah blah blah blah

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
images-1.jpg

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I was surprised to hear that they have sold 52,000 season tickets for the new stadium....

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
They have already sold over 50,000 season tickets for next season in the Olympic stadium. Impressive

Edit too slow!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not really
sad day for a great football ground,plenty of great memories
it was going to grounds like west ham,noisy, ugly and dangerous in a dump of an area which made me fall in love with football :shrug:

I was surprised to hear that they have sold 52,000 season tickets for the new stadium....

Yep, one of my mates has got one, and it's cheaper than our Band A pricing.

£289 for an Adult, family of 4 season ticket at £776.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We bought them a new stadium so the media appear to think we care about the old one. When the hell did it become cool to stop calling it Upton Park anyway?

I don't remember such love ins for Maine road, filbert street, dell etc etc. This has got surreal.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Totally agree about the ott coverage! As you say sky have been all over it! Radio 5 live devoted a whole section of a programme to it! It's been cringeworthy! I accept that to WHU fans it's a big deal, but clubs change grounds a lot these days. We've lost other historical grounds in the last 10-15 years, Highbury ( the arsenal stadium to give its full name), Main road, The dell and Roker park to name a few (could even count Wembley sort of ish). I don't remember them getting so much hype and coverage!

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Yes, yes I am.

I'll be glad when this ACTUAL* last match is out of the way.

*having listened to them drone on, about the LAST EVER FA cup tie / LAST EVER Saturday match / LAST EVER London derby / LAST EVER blah blah blah blah blah

But it is the LAST EVER time they'll have to finance:

Stadium utilities
Maintaining the pitch, and the goalposts and corner flags
Undersoil heating and floodlighting
Ticket office and turnstiles
Drug testing and medical facilities
Concession areas cleared of snow and ice as required
Team changing rooms, plus changing rooms for ball persons and officials
Security, cleaning, pest control
Stadium tannoy, generator, CCTV surveillance system and monitors
LED pitch-side signage, scoreboards and jumbo video screens at each end of the pitch

So that's nice for them! :cheery:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It's funny really when you read about our fans' reactions to 'boro away and the nostalgia over the Boleyn. My "misty eyed" recollections of Upton Park are being caged by the Met, our coach being bricked and loads of WHU trying to scale the dividing fence topped with barbed wire to get at us after we had the temerity to take the lead in 1990. Those were the days.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I quite like West Ham and went to Upton Park here and there when I was a kid (elder brother emigrated to NYC and loved to see London matches when he came back as long as it didn't clash with the Albion).

To me it will always be Upton Park. I understand the association with Boleyn Castle and Anne Boleyn but why do the Hammers fans pronounce it BOW-LYN rather than BER-LYN as in Anne Boleyn. Just an observation.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
There were people on here last week moaning about the media coverage that Leicester were receiving for winning the league.
Loads of clubs have now moved to a new home, but none have never received this much media attention.

There were people on here last week moaning about the media coverage that Leicester were receiving for winning the league.
Loads of clubs have now moved to a new home, but none have never received this much media attention.

None of those clubs Plays "The West Ham Way" using only players from their Academy though.

Oh, and none of those clubs have ever won the World Cup either.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To me it will always be Upton Park. I understand the association with Boleyn Castle and Anne Boleyn but why do the Hammers fans pronounce it BOW-LYN rather than BER-LYN as in Anne Boleyn. Just an observation.

I believe it's because they're all cor-blimey luv-a-duck, roll-aaaaat-the-barrel, stone-the-crows-Mary-Poppins type cockney sparrers, born within earshot of the Bow Bells*

*apart from the many thousands in Southend, Basildon, Canvey Island, Chelmsford, etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shame they're not taking the Lego castles with them actually. I found myself wondering earlier why their wasn't quite such a fuss about this particular old stadium's famous twin towers being demolished...

1024px-Boleyn_Ground_Upton_Park_1.jpg

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
couldnt care less, cheating tax payers in new ground too. Prices dropped on average by around 25-30% compared to boleyn ground.

interesting to see what kind of atmosphere it will be like with the seats not that close to the pitch, won't be intimidating thats for sure.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I believe it's because they're all cor-blimey luv-a-duck, roll-aaaaat-the-barrel, stone-the-crows-Mary-Poppins type cockney sparrers, born within earshot of the Bow Bells*

*apart from the many thousands in Southend, Basildon, Canvey Island, Chelmsford, etc.

I'm sooo f'kin cockney it f'kin 'urts (Lee Mack)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here