Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play-off Away Leg - Hillsboroough 13/5/16

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
The limited allocation doesn't seem to have created the binfest many expected.

So who's actually got tickets, what pubs are we meeting in and when do we expect it will (if at all) sellout?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think the 2000 allocation will be sufficient.

I can only speak for myself, but I had to summon up all my reserves of enthusiasm to buy a ticket for this one.

1) It's been a hugely expensive six weeks or so for those who go home and away. I've forked out (I know, my choice) for tickets to Birmingham, Forest, Charlton, and Boro, petrol, train tickets, a hotel in Yorkshire last weekend, associated food and drink costs, as well as £30 for a ticket to the second leg on Monday. God knows how much I've spent, and it's not over yet.

2) I've had to take the day off work, many people might not be able to

3) I've never liked Hillsborough as a ground for all sorts of reasons, the lack of Albion victories there being merely one of them. The BBC documentary yesterday hasn't helped my mood.

4) It's, what, a nine hour round trip, in a week when we've already covered hundreds of miles to Boro and back.

5) Mojo ever so slightly affected by the events of Saturday afternoon.

6) The game will be on TV anyway

I doubt I'm the only person feeling all or some of these emotions. I'm sure there will be a decent turn out, but I'm equally sure the 2000 will prove to be enough. If that doesn't make us as Massive as Wednesday, well, so be it. It really doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Missed Boro thinking we'd miss out before then so I've pulled my finger out and bought a ticket. It really isn't over. We can do this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would be seriously surprised and disappointed if we don't sell out.

A copy and paste of what I wrote when [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] started this thread a week ago is below. I'll add to that being the first leg also takes potential fans away from going as nothing is settled. If this were the second leg they'd have been snapped up quickly. Anyway, my original post is below:

Started talking about this with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] on the train home last night. The fact is, there is absolutely no reason why I couldn't go, but I really don't think I would, although that could just be a symptom of the current mood of flatness I have.

I was up there for the league game this season and it was a bloody long journey home with 50mph restrictions and closed motorway sections aplenty. I think I got home around 4am in the end.

Given the distance involved, a Friday night is massively more awkward to attend than a Saturday and will reduce our away following significantly. You can't get there and back on the train, so you'll need to either stay over or drive and leave at lunchtime on Friday, involving time off work and the like.

Finally, 2,500 people are making the commitment of getting up to Boro with many taking time off work on Friday to do so, and others spending small fortunes on train fares.

I'm waffling. 2,000 feels about par to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only had 1,500 or so.

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
A copy and paste of what I wrote when [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] started this thread a week ago is below. I'll add to that being the first leg also takes potential fans away from going as nothing is settled. If this were the second leg they'd have been snapped up quickly. Anyway, my original post is below:

Started talking about this with [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] on the train home last night. The fact is, there is absolutely no reason why I couldn't go, but I really don't think I would, although that could just be a symptom of the current mood of flatness I have.

I was up there for the league game this season and it was a bloody long journey home with 50mph restrictions and closed motorway sections aplenty. I think I got home around 4am in the end.

Given the distance involved, a Friday night is massively more awkward to attend than a Saturday and will reduce our away following significantly. You can't get there and back on the train, so you'll need to either stay over or drive and leave at lunchtime on Friday, involving time off work and the like.

Finally, 2,500 people are making the commitment of getting up to Boro with many taking time off work on Friday to do so, and others spending small fortunes on train fares.

I'm waffling. 2,000 feels about par to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only had 1,500 or so.

Given the above do you think the club have got it wrong in never opening it up to general sale?

Many fans in the North who don't have season tickets or memberships will not be able to access tickets.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I can't afford two away games within 6 days, especially when we've had to fork out two tickets for a home game as well.
Luckily, IF we get to Wembley, there's a pay day in between.

Simple economics.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Given the above do you think the club have got it wrong in never opening it up to general sale?

Many fans in the North who don't have season tickets or memberships will not be able to access tickets.

I hadn't looked at the sale categories until just now. The last one is 'Priority Members'. I've got no idea what those are, but isn't that akin to a general sale?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The middle three blocks WU 3/4/5 were the first on sale and we're now selling WU6 so looks like we're well on our way to selling out.

Jul 7, 2003
I looked very hard at going but just couldn't justify it.

1) needs a day off
2) train is expensive (£100 or thereabouts) and no way home after
3) would need overnight accommodation if going by train
4) if driving, the joy of the M25 and M1 North on a Friday is not to be underestimated!
5) because of the above, the coaches seem to be leaving very early and I'm too old to spend that long crammed into a small coach seat
6) our record there is not good

Being positive, I can watch this on the telly with mates and save the money for a good day out at Wembley (hopefully)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I looked very hard at going but just couldn't justify it.

1) needs a day off
2) train is expensive (£100 or thereabouts) and no way home after
3) would need overnight accommodation if going by train
4) if driving, the joy of the M25 and M1 North on a Friday is not to be underestimated!
5) because of the above, the coaches seem to be leaving very early and I'm too old to spend that long crammed into a small coach seat
6) our record there is not good

Being positive, I can watch this on the telly with mates and save the money for a good day out at Wembley (hopefully)

Where are you watching on the tele? Worthing or Brighton?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The middle three blocks WU 3/4/5 were the first on sale and we're now selling WU6 so looks like we're well on our way to selling out.

Good to hear. I've just thought a factor that will boost demand that I'd not considered. There were a lot of folk who wanted to go to Boro but couldn't because we'd sold out. A fair number of those will be up for Wednesday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I will be there, I have my concerns about the game that will unfold but I am playing a football tournament in Leicester on the saturday so staying in Sheffield prevents an early start on saturday and means visiting a famous old ground and seeing a play-off first leg.

For me, it ticks many boxes but I totally understand why others might not choose to go.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Good to hear. I've just thought a factor that will boost demand that I'd not considered. There were a lot of folk who wanted to go to Boro but couldn't because we'd sold out. A fair number of those will be up for Wednesday.

That includes myself & at least 5 others I know. Never been to Hillsborough & can pay my respects to the 96 too.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Very happy indeed to see it seems to be selling well. We get knocked down, and we get up again. Come on, you lovely people.

Sometimes I bloody love this club (well, I nearly always do, but sometimes even MORE so).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here