Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

for once I feel sorry for SASTA

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
First sunny weekend of the year so thousands of cereal cafe owners and creative media types decide to go to Brighton, then start moaning because the trains are busy:
Ch_a9maW0AAWUT_.jpg

https://twitter.com/BBCSussex/status/729542417851006977

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mildly amusing reading them all complain about the crowds (or the traffic), seemingly without it actually dawning on them that they are themselves the crowd, or the traffic.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Mildly amusing reading them all complain about the crowds (or the traffic), seemingly without it actually dawning on them that they are themselves the crowd, or the traffic.

But of course it's everyone else's fault! They just wanted a nice, easy day out, everyone else is in the way of enjoying that which is, frankly, inconsiderate.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
If only they had some barriers or something they could make a queuing system out of...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
when you see that angle, its not that large a crowd. two 12 car London bound trains would clear that? but there also a complete lack of any staff or BTP to in some way organise or simply inform the crowd, so worry, panic and fear ensues.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's true but you could say the same about the Albion fans who appear on here with great regularity complaining about the trains/car parks/park and rides going to and from the Amex

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That's true but you could say the same about the Albion fans who appear on here with great regularity complaining about the trains/car parks/park and rides going to and from the Amex

The difference being that SASTA know well in advance the amount of people that will be going to the Amex; they cannot predict the weather.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The difference being that SASTA know well in advance the amount of people that will be going to the Amex; they cannot predict the weather.

But that's not true at all. For one thing, one of the elements in the crowd was the start of the festival (announced about a year ago) and secondly, we were told well over a week ago that this was going to be scorching hot weekend.

Besides, Brighton always sees larger crowds between May and September and pretty much all weekends are going to be hotter than they were a month or so ago. It's a pretty good guess that the trains are going to be busy

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Don't feel vaguely sorry for them at all. When I passed through at 4ish, there were cancellations on the BTN-VIC route due to the guards quite rightly working to rule. As the clowns at SASTA haven't employed enough of them, it meant trains were cancelled. Purely a problem of their own making.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Slightly wrong , they banned Guards from doing overtime so where in the past they would have put extra trains on they couldn't as they would rather blame Guards for everything than manage to run a service.

Also no managers were there and they were short staffed on the platform but they weren't there to worry about all the punters stacked up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of COURSE folks want to visit our town on a nice sunny Sunday. Why would you not want to? Most sensible people would applaud them for making the decision to take the train rather than come down by car. Can't really blame the trains either, in the same way they were blameless for the 100k+ who innocently consulted their timetables and turned up to catch the 23:02 back to London Victoria after the big FBS gig on the beach, causing the station to have to be closed. What's the answer? There isn't one. The town is a victim of its own success. And long may it remain so.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
First sunny weekend of the year so thousands of cereal cafe owners and creative media types decide to go to Brighton, then start moaning because the trains are busy:
Ch_a9maW0AAWUT_.jpg

https://twitter.com/BBCSussex/status/729542417851006977

'Cereal cafe owners and creative media types'...? Is that supposed to be a humorous, satirical sideways glance at modern society's foibles - or something?

The trains aren't so much busy, as non-existent, along with any assistance or information.

This was a problem entirely of SASTA's creation, so no, there's nothing about this to feel sorry for them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
'Cereal cafe owners and creative media types'...? Is that supposed to be a humorous, satirical sideways glance at modern society's foibles - or something?

Yes, sorry to offend. I'll pop in for a bowl of organic shreddies (made with fair trade soya milk obviously) to make it up to you.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Of COURSE folks want to visit our town on a nice sunny Sunday. Why would you not want to? Most sensible people would applaud them for making the decision to take the train rather than come down by car. Can't really blame the trains either, in the same way they were blameless for the 100k+ who innocently consulted their timetables and turned up to catch the 23:02 back to London Victoria after the big FBS gig on the beach, causing the station to have to be closed. What's the answer? There isn't one. The town is a victim of its own success. And long may it remain so.
Agreed, but it does illustrate how important the private car is (especially for inter-city travel if not for in-town use) and what a vital role road transport has to play. I know quite a few of you hate to hear that and won't accept it, but there you have the proof. Can you imagine the chaos if every visitor at the weekend had come by train? And DON'T tell me they could all have easily come by bike!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't help but look at that picture of the crowds and picture half of them blubbing "Oh Toby, we simply can't put up with these beastly delays next year, it's time to take the plunge on that charming 3 bed in Hollingbury", thus killing any chance my kids will ever have of owning property in the town they were born in.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
3707262f9ffc8e5200938605853eb936.jpg
aa7a3a7e6b433d3db5c3b2e6a1cbdc73.jpg
I didn't see scenes like that up at Boro...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can't help but look at that picture of the crowds and picture half of them blubbing "Oh Toby, we simply can't put up with these beastly delays next year, it's time to take the plunge on that charming 3 bed in Hollingbury", thus killing any chance my kids will ever have of owning property in the town they were born in.

Owning property at all is going to be the starting point.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can you imagine the chaos if every visitor at the weekend had come by train?

You could just as easily say "imagine the chaos if every visitor at the weekend had come by car?". A couple of thousand extra motors would have reduced London Road to a standstill ... and people would moan about being able to get around town

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here