Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which club has needed the most attempts in the playoffs to get to the Premier League

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Or got there eventually in the autos? If we fail again this year it will be our third attempt ( discounting the Notts County game in the days of black and white)

I seem to recall Bolton needing plenty of failures before they eventually got to the Premier League, but not sure if it was more than 3

Any other seemingly perennial underachievers?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Or got there eventually in the autos? If we fail again this year it will be our third attempt ( discounting the Notts County game in the days of black and white)

I seem to recall Bolton needing plenty of failures before they eventually got to the Premier League, but not sure if it was more than 3

Any other seemingly perennial underachievers?

Cardiff always springs to mind for some reason. I'm not sure about the stats though.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Havnt Preston got the worse play off record?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Why are you not counting notts county one ? This is our fourth playoff attempt to get into the top league.

Going to be bloody tough next year with Newcastle and Norwich. Luckily the teams coming up from league 1 are not great unless Bradford make it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Because JCL's only think football STARTED when SKY and the PL began in 1992.

It was so long ago that I thought it could be discounted, but you are right. We have failed three times so far, let's not make it four

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Havnt Preston got the worse play off record?

I didn't even know that they had failed in the playoffs to get to the Premier League. Were we scrapping around at the arse end of the fourth division at the time? That would explain it as I only have an interest in the division that we are in.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Re play-offs at all levels:

Most play-off promotions: 4 – Blackpool (1992, 2001, 2007, 2010), Always Ultras FC (1989, 1997, 2004...)

Most play-off finals: 6 – Blackpool (1991, 1992, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2012)

Most play-off final defeats: 4 – Sheffield United (1997, 2003, 2009, 2012)

Most play-off participations: 10 – Preston North End

Most unsuccessful play-off participations: 9 – Preston North End (from 10 participations)

Most play-off participations without making the Play-off final: 4 – Nottingham Forest, MK Dons

Most play-off participations without winning final: 8 – Brentford, Sheffield United (both from 8 participations)

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Be interested to know how many clubs have never participated in the play offs these days. There can't be many, surely only teams at the lower end of League Two??

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some interesting stats that put to bed the suggestion that our play off record is poor. It couldn't be more probabilistically conventional: in 4 play offs we've had 2 semi defeats, 1 losing final and 1 win.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here