Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Suspension Thing

el punal

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but with all the drama over the last few days I've probably missed it. My point is, can somebody clarify the suspension details regarding Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens?

Specifically :

Lewis Dunk received two yellow cards (= red) against Derby, how many matches is he banned for?

Dale Stephens received a straight red card, or maybe a yellow depending on Mike Dean checking his horoscope first. Again, how long is the ban?

If Stephens loses his appeal is he penalised further?

Are these suspensions carried over into next season if, (1) we get into the Premier League (yes please!) and (2) we remain in the Championship?

And finally, if any of our players receive cards in the play-off games are they rescinded for next season regardless of which division we're in?

Thanks!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dunk has another game (second sending off so additional game). Stephens has 3.

Presuming we don't get through the semi final then the last game of Stephens ban will be the first game next year. Presuming we get to the final his suspension will finish then.

Any new suspensions will carry over. They don't get wiped.

Stephens may get an extra game for a frivolous appeal. Depends what mood the FA are in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Dunk got two games because it was his second red of the season.
Stephens might get an extra game's suspension if we lose the appeal (I think).
Yes, they are carried over into next season.
Red cards will be carried over from the play-offs, yellows won't (unless our players go past 15 for the season, again I think).

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
More importantly when will Stephens appeal be heard?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton

Proves the point that Wendy fans are complete inbred idiots, these replies.

It was clearly a straight red needs a six game ban premeditated after thier argument 30 seconds earlier

brighton gonna appeal dale stephens sending off,he went studs up on ramirez missing the ball ,but he left a nasty gash on his leg,this was a result of an earlier clash between the 2,he meant it i'm sure,
now if they win their appeal ,i reckon wednesday should oppose this,we had players sent off this season for stupid ref decisions and nothing ever went in our favour.

quizzicaleyebrow

Mar 10, 2011
Stephens may get an extra game for a frivolous appeal. Depends what mood the FA are in.

Stephens might get an extra game's suspension if we lose the appeal (I think).

I don't think he will. It's a debatable decision that turns on the ref's interpretation of "serious foul play" and "endangering safety". It's not like it's an open-and-shut whacking somebody round the head and they've just appealed to delay the process or whatever.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Proves the point that Wendy fans are complete inbred idiots, these replies.

It was clearly a straight red needs a six game ban premeditated after thier argument 30 seconds earlier

brighton gonna appeal dale stephens sending off,he went studs up on ramirez missing the ball ,but he left a nasty gash on his leg,this was a result of an earlier clash between the 2,he meant it i'm sure,
now if they win their appeal ,i reckon wednesday should oppose this,we had players sent off this season for stupid ref decisions and nothing ever went in our favour.

They obviously fear him then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I don't think he will. It's a debatable decision that turns on the ref's interpretation of "serious foul play" and "endangering safety". It's not like it's an open-and-shut whacking somebody round the head and they've just appealed to delay the process or whatever.

I agree, but, since when was the FA logical?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Wrong decision but it won't be overturned I'm afraid.

The FA look after their own and simply won't leave themselves open to criticism due to the importance of the game and an admission that a key decision was a mistake.

Time to move on and accept we are going up but just without Dale Stephens.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am genuinely shocked at how many neutrals believe this is a red card. Doesn't anyone play or understand football anymore. It was so far from a red it is untrue.

The ex player pundits on various tv programmes have all said it wasn't a red card.

Suspensions do get carried over to the next season. Greer had a red card playing for Swindon in the playoffs in 2009/10. He couldn't play for us for the first couple of games in August 2010. I think he got another red card for us, pretty soon after for a head butt.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Greer couldn't play for us for the first couple of games in August 2010. I think he got another red card for us, pretty soon after for a head butt.

Outrageous slur on a fine upstanding Scotsman......................................it was for a gentle elbow to the head................on Greer's debut............and gave a penalty away into the bargain.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but with all the drama over the last few days I've probably missed it. My point is, can somebody clarify the suspension details regarding Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens?

Specifically :

Lewis Dunk received two yellow cards (= red) against Derby, how many matches is he banned for?

Dale Stephens received a straight red card, or maybe a yellow depending on Mike Dean checking his horoscope first. Again, how long is the ban?

If Stephens loses his appeal is he penalised further?

Are these suspensions carried over into next season if, (1) we get into the Premier League (yes please!) and (2) we remain in the Championship?

And finally, if any of our players receive cards in the play-off games are they rescinded for next season regardless of which division we're in?

Thanks!

re Stephens,i dont know the actual FA rules,but some have said a failed appeal can result in an extra game ban? if this is true its still worth it, as the chance of having him available in 3 massive games is greater than the risk of definitely not having him and him also missing what could potentially be Rotherham or Burton at home first game of next season.(the club,manager and fans also genuinely believe the wrong call was made so its a no brainer)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here