Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough - BBC2

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
No, not another thread for the play-offs.

A very detailed programme on what went wrong on Saturday 15th April 1989. I didn't realise how INEPT South Yorkshire Police were. David Duckenfield couldn't even get the name Nottingham Forest right in the pre-match briefing :facepalm:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've never seen pictures of the dead fans piled up on those caged terraces before at Hillsborough. Truly shocking to show.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is harrowing,if you went t football in the 70s or 80s, it could have been any of us

It is truly shocking beyond belief, every time I go to Hillsborough I find it totally haunting.

And the lie that everyone had died by 15:06 is the most shocking thing I have ever heard.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've never seen pictures of the dead fans piled up on those caged terraces before at Hillsborough. Truly shocking to show.

Agreed. But perhaps important. Completely stunned me. We've seen so much written about it in the official process over the years, perhaps something like that was actually editorially necessary to bring home the human side to it all.

I remember being at Hillsborough a couple of seasons ago, and nipping off to the ladies' toilets at some stage during the game. As I walked in there, alone and in relative darkness, I had this realisation that I was stood a matter of metres from where ninety six people had died. And I realised absolutely at that moment that I didn't believe in ghosts, because if ever there was going to be a place that was haunted, that would be it. Maybe that's an odd way to think about it, I don't know, but it really hit me at that point.

Always find it a sad sort of place whenever I go there. Always seems darker and rainier than most grounds. Watching this documentary in the same week and knowing I'm going there on Friday...I feel really quite uneasy about it.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Imagine if those two coppers who done that prank had'nt done it, then this disaster might not have happened.

D

Deleted User X18H

I saw this quite a while ago on you tube . It was originally part of ESPN's 30/30 series. Some of the stills are very harrowing.

Pleased to see it updated by the BBC with the 2016 verdicts. A real sense of justice for the 96 and the families.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Imagine if those two coppers who done that prank had'nt done it, then this disaster might not have happened.

With the awful and inadequate turnstiles - it makes you wonder what could have been done even if the original officer had been there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is harrowing,if you went t football in the 70s or 80s, it could have been any of us

Nick Hornby made the very same point in Fever Pitch, which is a book may of our younger members may not be aware of. It's a great read.

I do recall a couple of occasions in the 80s where the weight and force of a large crowd left me absolutely helpless and, frankly, scared. You had no choice but to go along with it and hope for the best.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
With the awful and inadequate turnstiles - it makes you wonder what could have been done even if the original officer had been there.

Well the orginal chief had done many matches there including the semi final the year before i believe.

D

Deleted User X18H

Nick Hornby made the very same point in Fever Pitch, which is a book may of our younger members may not be aware of. It's a great read.

I do recall a couple of occasions in the 80s where the weight and force of a large crowd left me absolutely helpless and, frankly, scared. You had no choice but to go along with it and hope for the best.

I remember when Pompey got the whole of the North Stand in about 1984. Lots of noise after that about fans being crushed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed. But perhaps important. Completely stunned me. We've seen so much written about it in the official process over the years, perhaps something like that was actually editorially necessary to bring home the human side to it all.

I remember being at Hillsborough a couple of seasons ago, and nipping off to the ladies' toilets at some stage during the game. As I walked in there, alone and in relative darkness, I had this realisation that I was stood a matter of metres from where ninety six people had died. And I realised absolutely at that moment that I didn't believe in ghosts, because if ever there was going to be a place that was haunted, that would be it. Maybe that's an odd way to think about it, I don't know, but it really hit me at that point.

Always find it a sad sort of place whenever I go there. Always seems darker and rainier than most grounds. Watching this documentary in the same week and knowing I'm going there on Friday...I feel really quite uneasy about it.

Most times I've been in the Leppings Lanr end, I've been in the upper tier, but the game where El Abd went down clutching his face after a clash with Mellor Jnr (2010?) we were in the lower tier.
That meant walking through the tunnel. It made me shudder & I felt really uncomfortable.

I always make a point of visiting the memorial there.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Worst crush i experienced at the goldstone was against southampton 5th round of the fa cup

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The video shot where bodies are crushed against the fence and completely mangled in each other like they were cemented in concrete. I have never seen that before. Its something i don't wish to look at again. A great program, especially using the Police of South Yorkshire, those that suffered on the front line and those higher up that cooked up these disgraceful lies.
Its got to only be only a small matter of time before we can enjoy standing again in some form and take a pint into the stadium bowl at half time, like at every other sporting event.

D

Deleted User X18H

Well the orginal chief had done many matches there including the semi final the year before i believe.

Yes David Mole did he 88 semi final. But had only been in charge since 1985. He wasn't in charge for the 81 semi when similar incidents occurred.

Its such a shame Mole was consulted. He had precautions for fans in place up to half a mile away in 88

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here