Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of the play offs!

djlazyness

Oct 21, 2011
Peacehaven
We need to all stand up and do something to get rid off the play off system it is not a fair system and was probably invented just to sell more tickets. The top 3 should go up to the premier league it is that simple !

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We weren't complaining too much when we sneaked into 6th place in the last minute of the regular season a couple of years back.

It's frustrating now but it was fine then. Leave it be.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No keep them. 5th and 6th should play away from home in a winner takes all. Scrap 2 legs

At least the matches can be played over a weekend instead of bloody midweek.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In total disagreement......can they be changed? of course.......do we feel hard done by? naturally......but we all knew the deal at the start of the season....

We have to prove we are the 3rd best team and finish the job...

WEMBLEY 1983 TO WEMBLEY 2016 VIA HEREFORD....UTA COYS!!!!!

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Despite what's happened this season I still wouldn't scrap the Play Offs but I would tweak it a bit:

The 3rd place team goes straight into the Play Off Final; 6th place plays away at the 5th placed team and the winner of that game plays away at the team that came 4th for the other final place..?

If the 6th placed team wins the final they've still only played 3 games like they would have to in the current format.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
In total disagreement......can they be changed? of course.......do we feel hard done by? naturally......but we all knew the deal at the start of the season....

We have to prove we are the 3rd best team and finish the job...

WEMBLEY 1983 TO WEMBLEY 2016 VIA HEREFORD....UTA COYS!!!!!

Exactly. I wonder what the OP's reaction was when Ulloa scored that last-minute winner at Forest to sneak us into the play-offs a couple of years ago? I bet he didn't sit there thinking "Naa, this is all wrong, I'm not going to celebrate, Derby should go up automatically, it's not right they have to play us, we don't deserve this chance".

(And yes I know we played Derby like that's what we thought, but that's beside the point).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The playoffs are one of the best things about the football league, when else do a lot of teams get to play of Wembley and keeps the season alive

This year we're just on the wrong side of things, we were pretty happy when Leo put that goal away at Forest a couple of years back

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
have e-mailed the Football League on this very subject. Fail to see how a team finishing 15 points behind us could go up. Appreciate we all know the rules, but think I'm right in saying this scenario hasn't happened before (open to correction). My suggestion is that the third from bottom team in all four leagues should play the third team from the bottom in the league above. Of course this would mean the Football League would miss out on the finances, but in the end would be fairer for us supporters.......never happen, though !!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I love the play offs exactly as they are. Sometimes it works in your favour, sometimes it doesn't. We all know where we stand at the start of the season. An awful lot of bad losers around.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
No keep them. 5th and 6th should play away from home in a winner takes all. Scrap 2 legs

At least the matches can be played over a weekend instead of bloody midweek.

yep,I like this

at least some advantage for finishing higher

2 legs is very long winded and after 46 games already,unnesscary

excellent idea!

djlazyness

Oct 21, 2011
Peacehaven
Of course the situation that we have found ourselves in now has made me think hang on a second why is it fair that a team placed 6th in the table could be promoted when they could not get enough points during the season to reach 1st or 2nd to be promoted automatically. If 1st 2nd and 3rd where all automatically promoted and the rest where told sorry but better luck next time I do not think anyone would feel hard done by. Of course I am happy that we have any shot at it and I am backing us all the way and I am confident that we can win every game and get promoted via this system just think we should of been promoted for getting 3rd place. Also yes I was over the moon when ulloa got us in the play off shame we could make that time.

have e-mailed the Football League on this very subject. Fail to see how a team finishing 15 points behind us could go up. Appreciate we all know the rules, but think I'm right in saying this scenario hasn't happened before (open to correction). My suggestion is that the third from bottom team in all four leagues should play the third team from the bottom in the league above. Of course this would mean the Football League would miss out on the finances, but in:wozza:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
These thread topics are ****ing embarassing.

The Playoffs are great, and gives the top half of the table something to fight over rather than the insignificance of league placement.

Yes it's immensely frustrating for us under the circumstances, to lose out on automatic by a 2 goal margin on 89 points is only something BHA could dream up.. but that's no reason to knock the system which works nicely.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In the end we did not quite get the luck to push us over the line in the regular season,who knows what luck the play off's might bring us....it might-yet-be of the good variety.....

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Everyone knows the deal at the start of the season. No complaints just hope we can win them this time!

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Didn't Boro, who were 3rd top, go up before by beating Chelsea, who were 3rd bottom. Old system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here