Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are bladed boots dangerous?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It would appear, although I can't be certain, that Stephens was wearing blades yesterday. Would the gash on Ramirez have happened if Stephens had been wearing studs?

I've never allowed my boy to wear blades because I believe them to be dangerous, both for wearer and for other players. I'm sure I've read before that certain clubs don't allow their players to wear them either, Fergie at United being one example.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I know the proper shin pads argument, but I just want to discuss blades compared to studs.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
El Abd was sliced by Calde's blades at Southampton if I remember rightly?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
El Abd suffered a terrible cut from a bladed boot. The worse seen by a club doctor if i remember correctly.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
What does the lino check for when sub comes on and has to show sole of boot? Sharpened studs?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I wouldn't want to be the fourth official running his hand along these, and that's a fact.

388372465_725.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What does the lino check for when sub comes on and has to show sole of boot? Sharpened studs?

Yes, should be checking for sharp edges, or missing studs.

Seems just more of a ritual now though rather than any serious check because the check never seems very thorough and I've never personally seen a player sent back to the bench to put right anything deemed dangerous (not saying this has never happened, just that I've never seen it).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And- is the same check made for the starting 11 before they take the field?

In the tunnel as the players are waiting to come out I believe.

In park football, if you've been assigned a proper ref he sometimes comes in the changing rooms (if you have them as well... yes, grassroots football is wonderfully funded in this country!) beforehand to check.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It is as much about the matetial they are made of. Once upon a time studs were either leather (with nails in) or rubber. Blades now tend to be based more on a hard plastic that is easily sharpened with wear. Overall I would say that blades are more dangerous. I think they need to rethink the composition of the soles of boots.
It would also help if the FA dictated a minimum shinpad size - pros wearing "toddler size" is just flouting the rules that are there to protect them.

Yoda

English & European
It would appear, although I can't be certain, that Stephens was wearing blades yesterday. Would the gash on Ramirez have happened if Stephens had been wearing studs?

I've never allowed my boy to wear blades because I believe them to be dangerous, both for wearer and for other players. I'm sure I've read before that certain clubs don't allow their players to wear them either, Fergie at United being one example.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I know the proper shin pads argument, but I just want to discuss blades compared to studs.

It wasn't even the blades or studs that caused the injury, it was Gaston's flimsy shin pads breaking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was not the blades to blame but the cut was down to Ramirez being very fractionally late going into the tackle and catching the bottom of Stephens boots had his timing been better nobody would have been hurt and if a second earlier the damage would have happened to Dale instead of him and he would have won the ball.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
El Abd suffered a terrible cut from a bladed boot. The worse seen by a club doctor if i remember correctly.
and yet I don't ever remember AEA requiring oxygen, a stretcher and a little Mr Bump plaster.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting to see him celebrating with a plaster on the cut after the game and he had achieved his aim of getting the best player on the parki sent off . Somewhat different to a stretcher 30 mins earlier with .leg braces etc

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I had a really bad shin slash a few years back, from a player wearing blades. The long studs just pushed the pad away and then torn across my shin. The wound took ages to heal and as there is not much of a blood supply to the shin, there was not much blood. Incidentally no foul was given, I didn't require oxygen and I finished the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here