Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T how to deal with Bees in roof.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Hi I have bees in the overhang of my roof (apologies if that's not they right word). They don't come in the house or the attic but they are by our garage and every time you walk out of the back of the house they are there. I have had it confirmed that they are honey bees. Because they are between a joist and the last tile on the roof, getting that tile off to have a look means taking off the tile that is cemented down. I'll need a roofer and then a beekeeper to remove it. I think at the moment the nest is very small, but it will get bigger and there will be a swarm before long. So, do I pay or claim under my house insurance for the work? Or do I spray a load of wasp killer in there and kill them off? I've been told the best can rot and attract mice for the honey.
Has anyone had experience at this type of thing? ( awaits lots of Bee puns but hopefully some helpful comments). Cheers!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Contact a Bee keeper he will come and get them. If they are wasps, buy some spray from B&Q, and do what it says on the tin. Don't Kill the Bees.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Contact your local beekeepers association, there are methods for getting the majority of bees out unharmed and without knocking holes in stuff. If you are within 15 miles of Crawley, I can do it for you next week.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
There is no B in roof???

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A little cruel initially but catch them in one of these, drive into the countryside and release them.

200661-cage.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi I have bees in the overhang of my roof (apologies if that's not they right word). They don't come in the house or the attic but they are by our garage and every time you walk out of the back of the house they are there. I have had it confirmed that they are honey bees. Because they are between a joist and the last tile on the roof, getting that tile off to have a look means taking off the tile that is cemented down. I'll need a roofer and then a beekeeper to remove it. I think at the moment the nest is very small, but it will get bigger and there will be a swarm before long. So, do I pay or claim under my house insurance for the work? Or do I spray a load of wasp killer in there and kill them off? I've been told the best can rot and attract mice for the honey.
Has anyone had experience at this type of thing? ( awaits lots of Bee puns but hopefully some helpful comments). Cheers!

I'd love to have them on my allotment as there is a shortage of bees at the moment. You don't have to kill the pollinators. Get in touch with a bee society and they will probably come and collect them for free. If your Brighton area I can give some numbers but it appears you are Croydon way?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The Bee keeper association is the road I'm currently going down. It's just to get them out will cost. I'll need to have the outer tiles removed and re-cemented in. So I was just looking at other options. I know their numbers are declining, and I hope the nest will come out easily, but on top of fixing a leaking chimney, having a new kitchen (Mrs Sensibles idea), I can't afford this to cost me a lot.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yep, try your local beekeepers association, they'll pick the next beekeeper on the 'swarm list' and they'll come gladly to rid you of the bees free of charge.

(sorry, sent before your last post).

Try not to kill them, thats all. Have you suggested to the BKA the costs of it and ask them (nicely) if they know someone that could do it for free to save them?

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Bee keepers will only remove the nest if they can access it. It sounds like yours is out of reach (most of them are). You can self treat with a contact dust insecticide (wasp killer will do the job). The biggest issue with using dust/powered insecticide is the risk to other bee's nest. Robber bees will visit other nests and become contaminated with the insecticide and take it to other nests. This leads to the destruction of other colonies. My advice is to leave them alone. They are non aggressive and perform a very important job for mother nature. Good luck.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Carefully put them into a cardboard box, deliver them to ref Mike Dean's house but just before you hand it over shake the fecking box as hard as you can. :thumbsup:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Send up someone you don't like. Mike Dean would be an appropriate example. The bees sting your unsuspecting victim, and then the pests die. Everyone wins. Well, you win double-time, the bees and the other person don't fare so well. But at least you're free of two problems.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here