Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our record against top 8 teams, 2 wins out of 14 games

Think this is an issue that needs more discussion than refs. Why on earth have we been so ruthlessly efficient against the average and poor teams in the league, yet have a record against the best teams that clearly doesn't mark us out as a top 2 team deserving of automatic promotion? What is the football logic going on here?

Anyone have theories? We are kind of the Graham Hick of the Championship this season, we excel on flat tracks but once the bowling gets world class it's a struggle.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I posted pretty much same thread a week ago. We have only lost once also versus top 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I posted pretty much same thread a week ago. We have only lost once also versus top 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So whats the answer then? Alas not losing doesn't get you promoted, winning does

About the same as Sheffield Wednesday's record isn't it ?

But no one thinks they were unlucky not to get auto promotion

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Or of course you could look at it as only 3 defeats in 14 games.

This is part of why our attitude in fans is so wrong and why we haven't been promoted. Not losing, is not the same as winning. Too many draws is how we came unstuck and we won't get promoted by not winning

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The answer, unfortunately for us, is two fold. 1) we lack the requisite quality at the top of the pitch against the best defences and 2) Hughton is often tactically arrogant in how he approaches the biggest games.

The first point will surely be solved this summer, whether we go up or not, as I expect Hughton to bring players of a higher class in at the top end of the pitch.

As for the second point, I don't see that changing. I just see Hughton making upgrades to the team (and consequently the squad) that will see us better able to compete given our favoured formation and style.

Of course there have been other factors too, like poor refereeing decisions against Boro, Burnley (in both games), Derby (in both games), as well as injuries to key players mid season. But I'd say the first two reasons are the crucial factors.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Think this is an issue that needs more discussion than refs. Why on earth have we been so ruthlessly efficient against the average and poor teams in the league, yet have a record against the best teams that clearly doesn't mark us out as a top 2 team deserving of automatic promotion? What is the football logic going on here?

Anyone have theories? We are kind of the Graham Hick of the Championship this season, we excel on flat tracks but once the bowling gets world class it's a struggle.

The Top 8 don't matter now. Only the top 6 matter now and you can turn your theory on its head and say that ONLY Boro have a better record against us than we do against them. The 4 teams in the play offs, none of them have a better record against us. In fact they were all close games with only one win, that being against Hull.

The record you quote only looks bad because the 7th and 8th team in the League just happened to be two of the very few sides to beat us all season. It is quite easy to be selective when highlighting stats

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
8 draws in 10 against the Top 6. The answer is more goal production from our second striker and better defending at set pieces. That would have made the difference this season.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Somewhat meaningless stat bearing in mind we play 23 teams, not seven, unless the other 16 teams in the league don't count, of course.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We need to be shit hot at penalty taking in two of the next three games is the simple answer.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Also lost just once; hence most teams have similar records verses the teams around them. Draw likley from two good teams playing each other.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Our points total would have been enough to see us promoted in any of the last EIGHTEEN years. If we'd have scored a consolation goal when we were 3-0 down at home to Boro, we would have been promoted.

This record is an irrelevance, I think. Let's see what happens in the play-offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
We need to be shit hot at penalty taking in two of the next three games is the simple answer.

Actually shit hot!

you-think-youre-hot-shit-on-a-silver-platter-but-youre-really-just-a-cold-turd-on-a-paper-plate--4e5f5.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here