Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yellow changed to red

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Apologies for starting yet another Mike Dean thread, but this is the thing that really baffles me. Has anyone got any definite answers to these questions?

As far as I see it, he produces a yellow and has it in his hand for a while before Ramirez knocks it away and shows him the injury.

So was Dean:

a) Influenced by Ramirez and/or the injury?

If it was this, it is clearly unacceptable. Injuries can be caused by accident. The fact that it looked bad was because Ramirez wasn't wearing proper shin pads. If he was influenced by the player's complaints, that is obviously outrageous.

b) Informed by the assistant or fourth official that it should be a red?

CH seems to think it was this. If that's the case, why is it acceptable that an assistant 40 yards away from an incident should make a decision when the ref is much closer, had a clear view and has already decided to book the player? The other option is that Dean *asked* the assistant what his opinion was. Didn't see any evidence of this - and then why produce a card first before consulting him? Normally the ref would talk to the assistant if he wasn't sure and then produce a card.

c) Always intended it to be red, but chose the wrong card?

Don't believe this for a minute as he went straight for the yellow and had it in his hand for some time before Ramirez knocked it away.

I guess the answer will be in the 'referee's report' - which we will never see. I'd love to know what Dean's reason was for changing his mind. It seems he initially didn't even give it as a foul.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
20160508_141413.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the problem with Hasley's analysis is that had Dean shown the yellow, he couldnt have then shown the red - unless im mistaken. knocking the card out of his hand and showing the gash influenced his decision.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember when David Busst seriously broke his leg for Coventry v Man Utd, no-one was picked out for a red on that occasion. The memory of that still makes me shiver.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and also... Dean didnt drop the card it was hit out of his hand. Ramirez assaulted the ref which should have been a booking (red?) in itself.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
and also... Dean didnt drop the card it was hit out of his hand. Ramirez assaulted the ref which should have been a booking (red?) in itself.

Someone suggested that Dean might have thought it was Stephens who knocked the card away, which is why it was changed to red. Can't see it, myself.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Someone suggested that Dean might have thought it was Stephens who knocked the card away, which is why it was changed to red. Can't see it, myself.
Good news.

Video evidence will bring that to light, and allow the card to be rescinded and a fair bit of face saved.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good news.

Video evidence will bring that to light, and allow the card to be rescinded and a fair bit of face saved.

I hope they look at the actual shambles around the card-showing, not just the 'foul' itself.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Dean will be getting his story right with his assistants as you read this.

You're probably right... I'd really like to hear him explain his actions, but we never will.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
If it's all about the injury and not the intent then surely Barton should have been given a red for his 'accidental' stamp on Kayal. It's all bloody nonsense but the red card won't be rescinded. What might work is an appeal against the sanction of a three match ban on the basis of it not being intentional nor particularly forceful...Ramirez seems to come in from the side so did Stephens see him? There appears to be no downward movement of his foot etc.
ok, it won't change what's happened yesterday but a change to a one match ban could be vital in the play offs.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Wouldn't happen in Rugby. No, I mean it wouldn't happen in Rugby. Football needs to man up. Intent is a key consideration.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Was getting tired of all the moaning about the ref on here. Didn't think it was a red of course but time to move on.

Just now I've watched the highlights on player though. The referee changed his mind based on the extent of the injury not the tackle itself.

You can clearly see him saying 'Look, look at his leg' to Kayal and Greer. That was after he stood there for a while waiting to show him the yellow.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What now pees me off as much as the Dean debacle is the absolute lack of interest shown by any of the national press in even mentioning the contentious nature of the red. We're in a situation where pretty much every former manager or player who's commented has said it was a yellow at worst and arguably not even a foul. And yet it's still being routinely exaggerated in the papers as a "horror tackle" with Stephens vilified and everyone obsessed with the cut, rather than how Gaston actually sustained it. As a continuation of the narrative we've seen all season (Boro and Burnley brilliant, Brighton somehow up there by fluke), the idea that we might have been robbed of the opportunity to give it a real go in the final third of the match sits uncomfortably. People keep saying we played better with 10 as if that's some kind of justification. No - we played better in the closing stages as we were really going for it. If we'd had 11 players, we'd have stood a far better chance in that final crucial phase of getting the single goal we needed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here