Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does yesterday give us reasons to be more optimistic about the play-offs?

Lush

Mods' Pet
We are now more battle hardened - yesterday was an experience that will stand the players in good stead.

We won't have another 'must-win' away game.

Also the sound of an opposing team celebrating is not something the players will want to hear again any time soon.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
It can go two ways. My feeling and hope is that this team will rise like lions and batter Wednesday out of existence and then close down and beat derby or Hull in front of 30,000 fans at Wembley. I think they have the charcter and have come too far now to just lay down and give up.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We are now more battle hardened - yesterday was an experience that will stand the players in good stead.

Also the sound of an opposing team celebrating is not something the players will want to hear again any time soon.

Stephens suspension aside, yes it does. There has been no sign of any fallout between the players and/or coaching staff like before previous attempts at the play offs, and dissapointments like this will make them stronger and even more determined.

It was also reassuring to see their plane touched down at Gatwick just after 5pm, so no long journey issues either. They'd have been home later after a normal Saturday game at the Amex!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not too downhearted after yesterday, was always going to be a really difficult game, but we came through it ok - even if not the result we wanted. I never fancied our chances and Boro probably deserve to go up.

In the play-offs ..... we lose to Derby in the final. Shame, good season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Got to show the mental strength to come back from yesterday's disappointment.
These games can be won or lost in the head.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I've been optimistic all season long but I feel like I've been slugged in the gut. I'm worried about the team being able to pick themselves up after having come so close and I'm very worried about our poor form against Sheffield Wednesday. It just feels as though the opportunity might have passed.

Perhaps it's still too soon and things are still a bit raw. I'll be trying to bag a ticket so I can be a part of the 12th man a week tomorrow. I promise I'll be in better form by then.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am not sure about yesterday as one game will affect much but the the whole brilliant season should give everyone great confidence, a club record for the least amount of game lost, the mental ability we have shown to not drop our heads when things go wrong, very hard to beat, and when it clicks bring on the goals...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does yesterday give us reasons to be more optimistic about the play-offs?
We've lost Stephens, so no.
If we lose away to SW we will.

So? Are you suggesting they wouldn't have put the effort in if it wasn't for yesterday?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We played poorly, not at our best by a long way, against both Derby and Boro.

& still neither could beat us. We remain unbeated in 14 games now.

No longer will a draw against us help our opponents. If they want to go up, they will have to win. Even when not at our best, apparently that is a tall order.

Even the league champions couldn't do it this season, home or away.

Every other team in the playoffs has lots twice as many games as us this season.

BELIEVE.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I hope that's what happens. There was a lot of talk about Middlesbrough using the pain of losing last years play off final as motivation for this year. We've just lost what was essentially a play off final but have the advantage of not having to wait a year to put things right. We only have to wait six days so the wound ill be fresh and raw, hopefully that will spur us on to steam roller our way through the play offs.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel that if Stephens's red card isn't rescinded then we're in big trouble. Without the Kayal and Stephens axis to drive us on it kind of feels like a racing car that's in the lead but with a slow puncture or damage to the car. The other cars are lapping faster, it's just a matter of are they going to catch us?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not too optimistic but we should be. It's a good team. In any other circumstances, drawing with Derby and Boro currently with 10 men would be fine results. We shouldn't let our pessimism from previous play-off experiences cloud our thoughts about a group of players that weren't involved. It's all to play for.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
They showed real resilience yesterday; firstly to come back from a poor first half and then keeping it together to stay in the game after losing Stephens. This must be a good sign. I actually think that we will need some big performances from players who haven't featured so prominently like Sidwell, Lua Lua and Wilson as I think (and I hope not) that the the influence of Knockeart and Hemed may have peaked for this season.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They showed real resilience yesterday; firstly to come back from a poor first half and then keeping it together to stay in the game after losing Stephens. This must be a good sign. I actually think that we will need some big performances from players who haven't featured so prominently like Sidwell, Lua Lua and Wilson as I think (and I hope not) that the the influence of Knockeart and Hemed may have peaked for this season.

I agree about other players stepping up, but I would also like to think that the likes of Hemed and Knockeart will turn it on again too, after a spell of a couple of games out of form.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I like it. Reverse psychology. Knockaert cross, Hemed header. Wembley erupts.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There have been many promoted teams who have lost in the previous year's play-offs with players saying that they took inspiration from the experience and not wanting to repeat it. We are the first team to have to process and use that in less than a week. Most of the football pundits seem to think it probable that it'll be too soon, but then most football pundits have expected Brighton to fall away all season. If there is a group of players and staff that is mentally tough enough for a challenge like this, then it is this one.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Two schools of thought, first we are the form side carrying momentum into the Playoffs and second we have wasted ourselves pushing for an automatic spot while the others have been resting players for the last couple of weeks.
The loss of Stephens and Dunk are going to be massive we really can't afford anymore injuries or suspensions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once over yesterday it is an absolutely massive boost that we can try and right what happened so quickly. It will be viewed as a positive by the players too. A second chance coming so quickly can only be a good thing.

I like this thread :thumbsup:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I'd currently put myself down as cautiously optimistic. Of course, I hope Stephens' red card is rescinded. If it isn't though, which is more likely, I think some are undervaluing Sidwell. He has great experience, is a strong player and a leader on the pitch, and as we have seen, he also knows where the net is. The trouble is, if we lose any more CMs we are down to the unknowns or a rejig of formation, neither good at this stage.

But to the OPs points, yes, I think the experience of yesterday will be a big plus as long as we can keep the passion controlled enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here